Author Topic: Gaming and life as we get older  (Read 3133 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Gaming and life as we get older
« on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day.  I turned 30 in February, and had a surprise party (I think there was a thread about it).  Jennie had a board people could write on to give me advice.  One of my brothers wrote "30 is a good age to quit playing videogames."

See, I'm part of the original videogame generation, the Atari generation.  As such, no one really knows what's going to happen as we get older.  I find myself wondering if I'll still be playing games when I'm 70.  I certainly play a lot less than I did even a few years ago, but I am still a gamer.  I still play something at least a few hours a week.

It's weird to think that I could be 70 and still playing videogames, but at the same time, playing videogames isn't really like smoking.  It's not something that you eventually have to quit.  It would just be weird to quit.  I suppose I could see it becoming a smaller and smaller portion of my life until one day I realize I haven't played a game in a year or something, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Will there be a stigma surrounding senior citizen gamers?  What kinds of games will be out there?  Will we still be trying to play shooters about WWII?  It just seems like a curious subject

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Gaming and life as we get older
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
Eventually people will figure out that gaming isn't something you have to grow out of. Our kids will probably never have to deal with such a concept. It'll be like telling a film buff to "grow up and stop watching movies."

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Yeah, I think our kids have it better in the sense that there is that gaming stigma for us.  I look at gaming as just a form of entertainment.  You liken it to movies, I think of it like TV.

Many years ago I was living with two guys.  I was definitely the biggest gamer.  On of my roommates played games too, but only shitty ones (he never seemed to figure out there was a reason he was always able to get his games new for like $10).  The other didn't play games at all.

Now to be fair, I did play a lot of games at the time.  This was in the GTAIII era, and I feel like I logged 200 hours in that game or something.  I played the shit out of it.  Plus a ton of other games including Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Anyway, he would be like "Dude, how many hours have you been playing videogames today?"  I would always respond "I don't know, but I would say about as many hours as you watched TV."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
It is an interesting subject.  I've thought about this before too, and I think gaming is ultimately going to change a bit here and there, evolve in some ways, and ultimately split off to become much more than what it is today.  Even now we're seeing hardcore games and casual games, and eventually I suspect the market will divide itself into many such segments.  The games we'll be playing at 70 will surely be different than those we're playing now.

That said, yeah, I don't think gaming is going anywhere, nor do I see myself stopping.  I don't play as much as I used to simply because I *can't*, but that doesn't mean I have any intention of stopping, or even that I want to.  I'm married, I have a full time job that I'm very (however unwillingly) invested in, and I have a ton of personal goals and involved hobbies, yet gaming is still a big deal for me.  It would take some very significant life changes to stop me playing, especially these days with the dawning of portable gaming that rivals the quality of what you get at home.  It's easier than ever to squeeze it in.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
Yeah, TV works better. I've used that same argument in my own defense. Anyone mentions how much I play games (or even just use the computer) as a negative I point out they spent a similar amount of time watching TV. That ends it pretty quick.

As for gaming when I'm 70...probably. Its kind of odd to think about now because the current seniors don't really play games. Its not "normal" for them. When we get up there, it probably will be and will no longer feel strange.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
In terms of the current batch of seniors, how many do you know who can coup when the wrong button on the TV remote is pressed, much less use a computer or play a game? The numbers are pretty slim.

I imagine we'll be the same way with the genetic modifiers coming out in a few decades.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 10:20:07 PM »
my older brothers introduced me to gaming when i was younger than i can remember. we still have several computers / gaming systems in my parents attic that are older than me, so it's just an aspect of my life that's always been there. i certainly don't spend as much time gaming as a i did ten years ago, but i really can't see a time when i'd ever consider stopping outright. my oldest brother is 44 and still buys every games system that comes out - and for the record, he couldn't be further away from the lonely nerd stereotype.

games are becoming more and more adult orientated as our generation grows up and the stigma of being a grown up gamer seems to be fading fast. while i certainly have a few geeky friends, my regular social group is a pretty "normal" bunch, and it really wouldn't be out of the ordinary to hear mention of the new GTA game (or some other AAA title) down the pub. it used to be a sign of geekiness, but it's just another part of our culture now.

being a few years my senior, scott, you might have just missed the boat on this, but pretty much all my male peers, plus most of the girls i've been involved with own at least one games console. only about 20% are into gaming culture as much as we are, but i'm sure all of them put in at least a few hours a week. some of my friend's girlfriends aren't great fans of the hobby in general, but they're very tolerant of it. stuff like dancemats, singstar, guitar hero and the wii have definitely won them over to some degree.

i think female perception goes a long way into judging how "geeky" something is and while the majority of them may never be as enamoured with gaming as we are, they seem to be pretty accepting. maybe it is an age thing and their tolerance will wane by the time i hit 30. we shall see...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »
I'm more than halfway there from the general perspective here.  I don't see why anyone who really enjoys videogames has to quit.  My only warning would be to not let it consume too much of your life.  It can be destructively addicting--I can see that now.  Time evaporates alarmingly fast when a game completely pulls me in.

Yeah, TV works better. I've used that same argument in my own defense. Anyone mentions how much I play games (or even just use the computer) as a negative I point out they spent a similar amount of time watching TV. That ends it pretty quick.

As for gaming when I'm 70...probably. Its kind of odd to think about now because the current seniors don't really play games. Its not "normal" for them. When we get up there, it probably will be and will no longer feel strange.

TV is what I've thought of too, as well as movies, or any other "waste of time".  All leisure is a waste of time, from a spartan perspective.  Anyone who spends hours in front of a TV set has no moral high ground from where to look down on gamers.

Gaming is normal for your age group.  I'm more of a rarity.  Unless the world becomes a very hard place between now and then, I don't think you'll stop playing when you're seniors.  As the pastime becomes increasingly accepted among adults, you won't feel much pressure to stop either.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 03:22:58 AM »
Man, I know how you feel Scott. As an Arab the sentiment of "grow out of it" is somewhat multiplied! I am kinda perceived as "the big kid" in the family because I play games.. Even though I work, pay bills, attend mandatory adult events (weddings, gatherings, etc.), and I sponsor my little brother. For some reason, no matter what you do, games are viewed as children's toys, and whenever you're observed playing a game it's somehow analogous to playing with Duplo bricks or Fisher Price!

My dad always commented on and criticized me for being a gamer.. All until he watched me design some stuff for Oblivion! Then he realized that games are more than just complex, abstract toys! They can be art!

*Thank you Oblivion, you improved my life!*

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 05:47:31 AM »
Yeah, that's basically how a few of my friends, one of my brothers, and my parents view it.  Kids toys.  I wouldn't say they exactly equate it with Duplo blocks (lol!), but they are definitely things adults shouldn't be doing according to them.

Jennie is one of the anti-gamer types.  She said her marriage to another guy ended because of videogames.  For a long time, I could only play games when she was asleep or at work or something because otherwise she would get mad I wasn't spending time with her.

She's relaxed a bit now, but she still gets frustrated when I play, but it's more that she thinks if I have free time to spend playing a game, I could be playing baseball or football or something with her son.  And she's probably right about that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 06:31:54 AM »
I think computer/video games are just a new iteration of game entertainment.. People have been playing chess for centuries and in my eyes the computer medium is the next logical step for representing game entertainment. The only difference is now we have a greater means for representing different games and ideas as well expressing imagination.

Most of the girls I meet just can't understand what is so appealing about games and they automatically label a guy who plays games as immature, irresponsible, undependable, and unfit for a relationship. Typical prejudice. Ironically quite a few of those girls ended up with guys with serious monkeys on their backs (drugs, alcohol, etc.). Anyway, my point is the association is there and I think this is directly linked to the 'game ratings' and Jack Thompson's issue with games. JT directly associates games with children; he makes the assumption that if it is a game then is marketed only for children.

What I don't understand is why someone like JT would attack games alone. His claims on violence and whatever can be just as easily called on movies, music, and practically all other media. The big difference between games and movies is interactivity. I'm not supporting him, I'm just saying that if we make 4 different flavours of Koolaid with the same tap water, then you can't just bitch about one of them having bad water. Some people like grape, some like cherry, to each their own, but that's no reason to crusade against the other.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »
Well the interactivity is the difference.  The player is consciously making the decision to snipe someone in the eyeball and pulling the trigger.  Are games "worse" than TV in that regard when it comes to violence?  Not necessarily, but maybe.  There are studies that go both ways.

I don't personally have any desire to shoot anyone, even though I love shooters.  But I can't speak for everyone.

But I don't want to defend Jack Thompson either.  He's a quack and I'm surprised he hasn't been disbarred yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 07:45:40 AM »
The interactivity is still limited, though.  It's not like games resemble real life.  You don't have the choice to do every conceivable number of things that you could possibly do from day to day, you only have a few limited options that the developer gives you, and these are all intrinsically linked to whatever the game's story or premise is.  When I'm playing Manhunt, I'm doing crazy shit because I'm playing Manhunt, and it's no more training me to do something nefarious than Mario is training me to eat every mushroom I come across in the forest.

What I really wanted to say, though, is that I think this is why we need to be doing things to change people's views.  For quite some time now I've been periodically sending out letters and CDs of game music to select friends and family, and I talk at length about the music that's on the disk, the person who composed it, how it relates to the game, and a bit about whatever game it came from and whoever developed that game.  It's been very well received, not only because people have really enjoyed the music selections I've sent out, but because few of them had any real idea what games were really like or what was involved in creating them.  Several of my aunts and uncles keep bugging me to send out new stuff because they find it so interesting.  I think changing the opinions of people is importing where something is so grossly misunderstood, not because it's going to change the face of gaming as we know it (which is becoming more widely accepted by the day), but because it changes the minds of people in your immediate circle and opens them up to new experiences that they'd completely miss out on otherwise.  The Oblivion OST and some other assorted Soule, some of Final Fantasy XII, and the Arcanum OST are what I've sent out so far, and the music is enough to get people's attention and show them that hey, this isn't strictly something for youngsters, and even if they are exposed to it, there are positive elements that can come from that exposure (getting interested in the creative forces behind the games, enjoying musical genres they might otherwise dislike or ignore, or in the case of things like Civ, Eternal Sonata or BioShock, possibly getting interested in a little history or philosophy despite themselves).

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's our own responsibility to change the way people look at this stuff.  It isn't a sure thing and it isn't always easy, but I think you'll be surprised at how willing most people are to climb the precipice and look at a new horizon when you're leading them there by the hand and promising them something worth looking at, and in my experience few of them are disappointed when they get there.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
LAN party at the nursing home! You know it's gonna happen.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »
Some people will never change their opinion.  But you'll outlive them.  Other things have had to wait for the old guard to die off before they become generally acceptable.  Comic books were the great social threat about a half century ago.

Being proactive is a good thing, though.  Just don't expect warm receptions all around.  Gaming is too easy of a political target.  I don't know.  I can't see all the variables.  In one way or another, immersive interactive entertainment is here to stay.  That genie doesn't go back into the bottle.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
Good points Que. If we want a change in perception it has to come from us (gamers). We can't be obnoxious fanboys about it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 11:27:46 PM »
I think the entire premise of "gaming" will evolve more than we can imagine in the coming decades. Whether or not I will continue to game as I get older brings to question the entire premise of gaming. The industry is infantile. Where will it be in 30 years, given the increasing breadth of technology? It isn't going to be evolving from black-and-white to color, but it will instead evolve from interactivity to hyper-interactivity. Once I get old enough I won't be able to keep up, nor will want to. My gaming has dropped significantly in the past few years already, and I don't even have a family or a career yet. I can only see it declining further in the coming years. But I'm sure that I will always have that itching to play a game - that doesn't ever get old.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
Gaming, especially adult gaming, is still somewhat esoteric, but it has opened up alot of the last decade. I'm sure it will be more commonplace in the future.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 18, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
I think it's a generational thing more than anything.  Most of my friends have some system and play games, and even though many probably play more than myself, what's interesting is I probably play games more 'seriously' (Totally for lack of a better word) in that I'll play PC games and weird, obscure, and/or old console games simply because of this community rasing my awareness of them.

But the funny thing is my parents and sister are on a totally different page.  I recently moved back home for a bit to save some cash, pay off some student loans, and to make going back to school for the second degree easier.  On one hand it blows, on the other I might be at home for 1-2 waking hours of the day.  For those hours I'm usually on the internet or playing games...because that's what I generally do when I'm killing time at home.

The interesting thing is my sister.  She's somewhere in her thirties and I rarely see her.  Yet, as far as she's concerned I have a problem.  Before saying any more I should elaborate that my sister also recently dropped some comment that I might have aspergers or some sort of social disorder, which is a pretty funny comment to make were you to know me.  The thing is that she has a totally skewed perspective of what I'm like.  She's like 7 years older than me, moved to a different city when I was like 12 or something and I might see her for a few days every year/couple of years.  So I basically only see her at family events, and generally I get in and out of those things as fast as I can while trying to avoid all my retard relatives roughly my age.  I do this because I think I'm better than them. 

Add to that the fact that when she sees me at home I'm either on the computer or playing videogames. To be honest a lot of that is to avoid her, because she's a mildly annoying hippy.  This paints a pretty simple picture in her mind of someone staying home and playing videogames all the time while having no real friends or social skills.  I don't know which lead to which in her mind but I've overheard talking with my mother about this, something along the lines of "he never has a girlfriend, he never just spends time with us, and he doesn't talk to his cousins.  I have friends who ended up with husbands like that and they're all divorced now." 

I later brought this up with her during the conversation where she accused me of having aspergers. I think this was directly related to some family event I totally showed up to for like 10 min. and blew out on.  How the rest of that conversation went down isn't all that important (she was shocked and appalled to say the least), but what is of some interest is that she's only like 7 years older and yet she completely ignored and/\or discounted how I have a more active social life than herself and basically labeled me a social outcast based on how I spend my housebound recreational time playing videogames rather than watching television or reading magazines.