Author Topic: Max Payne 3  (Read 13390 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Max Payne 3
« on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »
NEW -> 6-29-2012:
PC Gamer -> Max Payne 3: Local Justice DLC - Trailer.
GameSpy -> Mike Sharkey - "Opinion: Why Max Payne 3 Doesn't Feel Like Max Payne.

OLD:
Shacknews -> Max Payne 3 sells 440K in May; Michael Pachter calls its sales a "flop".
Rockstar plans to put MP cheaters in a "Cheaters Pool" so they can only play against others who made that list.
GameSpy -> PC Review -- 4 1/2 stars (of 5).
Max Payne 3 Patch hitting tonight (6-5-2012) to fix some common issues w/ the game.
IGN -> Impressions on Max Payne 3 PC.
GameSpy -> Impressions on Max Payne 3 PC.
HardOCP -> Max Payne 3 PC - IQ & Performance Preview & Reviewers Guide
HardOCP -> Max Payne 3 PC - PC Version Trailer.
Rockstar Games -> Max Payne - FREE Comic Book Downloads -> Comics will lead up to events of Max Payne 3.
DRM details on Max Payne 3 PC website -> uses Rockstar Social Club and GameShield IronWrap DRM for a initial online activation.
PCWorld -> Interview w/ Rockstar on PC version of Max Payne 3.
Rockstar Games -> Max Payne 3 PC System Requirements have been updated; PC version delayed until June 1st.
OWNet -> Max Payne 3 - REVIEWS.
Max Payne 3 DLC Schedule and Rockstar Pass Details.
GameTrailers.com -> Max Payne 3 PC - System requirements revealed...including 35 GB HDD space requirement and anywhere from 2-16 GB of RAM required.
GameIndustry -> Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne says that Rockstar's Max Payne 3 is "fucking brilliant."
CVG -> Max Payne 3 PC to be released after console versions; AND also have additional DX11 support and other PC-specific features.
Max Payne 3 for PS3 and X360 coming May 15th; May 29th for PC version.
Max Payne 3 -> Trailer.
BluesNews is reporting that Rockstar's very own Rockstar Toronto division (who made The Warriors) is working on Max Payne 3.

« Last Edit: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 06:50:23 AM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Max Payne 3 Thread -- Rockstar Toronto is working on it
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
I still never beat Max Payne 2. Thank you, protection missions that I fucking hate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
Toronto represent

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »
I still never beat Max Payne 2. Thank you, protection missions that I fucking hate.

Even on the easiest difficulty (I think it's called Detective), where the game itself adjusts the game's difficulty to the player's skill as they play along and when they die?  :o

Only time I had trouble w/ the Mona missions was on Hardboiled and above.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »
It wasnt so much difficulty as outright disgust for such missions that I simply stopped playing the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
It wasnt so much difficulty as outright disgust for such missions that I simply stopped playing the game.

Ahhhhh. I got cha.

I mean, often those missions only are worthwhile as long as the teammate AI doesn't suck.

Or as long as your partner NPC can't actually die.
Or they can take loads of hits.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:47:44 AM »
I don't mind defending missions so long as the the thing/person I'm defending doesn't do anything particularly stupid.

I really have no problem with partner AI, granted the AI is decent. It never bothered me in Gears of War. It was a minor inconvenience in some situations in R6 Vegas 2. I'm looking forward to the new Prince of Persia and I'm curious about Elika's game mechanics.

I hope Max Payne 3 is good. Do we know anything about the story?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
I don't mind defending missions so long as the the thing/person I'm defending doesn't do anything particularly stupid.
Agreed.

I really have no problem with partner AI, granted the AI is decent. It never bothered me in Gears of War. It was a minor inconvenience in some situations in R6 Vegas 2.
That's b/c GoW and R6: Vegas series did the "you can revive your dude with a touch" thing. So, even when the AI did dumb stuff, you could still get to them and easily revive them.

I'm looking forward to the new Prince of Persia and I'm curious about Elika's game mechanics.
Same.

I hope Max Payne 3 is good. Do we know anything about the story?
So far, nada.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
I don't like them.  I can play through them if they're not just ridiculous, but I'd rather not have to deal with them at all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
Max Payne 3 has been finally announced by Take 2.
Rockstar Vancouver will be developing it.
Planned for Winter 09 on PC, X360, and PS3.

Max Payne 3 hurting PC, PS3, 360 this winter

* By Mark Walton, Tom Magrino, GameSpot UK
    * Posted Mar 23, 2009 7:09 am PT

Rockstar's Vancouver studio takes over from Remedy for third outing of ex-NYPD vigilante.

For fans of Max Payne, it has been a long wait since 2003 when the last game in the franchise was released to critical acclaim. Talk of a sequel came in 2004, when Take-Two hinted that a follow-up would eventually arrive. Fast-forward to 2008, and Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick once again mentioned the franchise, teasing that another installment may be in the works but again providing no firm details.

Today, Take-Two and its Rockstar Games subsidiary have announced that Max Payne 3 is indeed in development and is penned for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The game is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, the same outfit behind the controversial sandbox action adventure Bully. Finnish outfit Remedy, which developed the first two Max Payne titles, is currently developing Alan Wake, which will be published by Microsoft.

Rockstar Vancouver will apparently not be straying far from Remedy's original formula, however, as Max Payne 3 again sees the titular retired NYPD veteran battling internal demons as well as those that plague the city's streets.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," commented Rockstar cofounder Sam Houser in a statement. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Rockstar did not delve into specific gameplay details, and did not mention the series' genre-defining "bullet time" slow-motion technique. The publisher merely noted that "the latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyperintense action that fans have come to love."

When Max Payne 3 rolls around this winter, it may find itself on shakier legs than when it left off six years ago. In October, the franchise saw its first transition to the silver screen. And while the Mark Wahlberg-led action flick pulled in healthy opening-week revenues, critics were all too eager to redub the film "Maximum Payneful" (an actual quote).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Max Payne 3
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
Vancouver represent.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
I'm happy to hear this news finally.  I was waiting for an announcement for a while.  Both games were a blast.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
I never beat Max Payne 1, but bought Max Payne 2, and never beat it either. Both awesome games, but I never beat them. I should do that.

I'm still using the mousepad that came with the first game. Not that I want a ton of random game mousepads, but it would be cool if more games did it (even if part of a collector's edition). It's the one pack-in I've gotten the most use out of by far, and it was completely free with a great game I was gonna buy anyway.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
i think i beat the original Max Payne like 4 times. i loved that game. I wasnt AS thrilled with the second but it was still pretty fun.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 12:10:41 AM »
I hope they bring back the actor who's face they mapped on the model in Max Payne 1. It was so painfully bad that I missed it in MP2.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 01:55:45 AM »
That's actually one of the devs. All the characters in the original MP were members of the dev team, it was pretty funny!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
(Developer) Sam Lake was Max Payne in the original one.

I don't know who's gonna be Max Payne in MP3, but he looks like he got the whole Sam Fisher old, rough, and gruff thing going on, from this artwork....

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
Wow, a game with a grizzled, angry protagonist in it. Totally haven't seen that before.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty weak.  Shoulda stuck with original Max.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
Fuck it, Max should be a cyborg in the new one.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »
And a ninja.  With a light saber.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
You know, it's not the guy's face (ok, it kinda is), but the expressions. I really can't believe they used such extreme and painful looking expressions in the final game. It was awesome though.

I can see the Max in MP3 being all wide-eyed and crazy looking with the beard. Like Grizzly Adams on crack and pissed off.

EDIT: sort of like this:

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009, 06:18:30 AM »
Haha that would be awesome ;D

I don't mind the grizzled old angry stereotype on Max, as a character he is a stereotype anyway. So long as they make a great story accompanied by great action, just like the last two, I'm sold.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
I don't mind the grizzled old angry stereotype on Max, as a character he is a stereotype anyway. So long as they make a great story accompanied by great action, just like the last two, I'm sold.

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

I just can only hope Rockstar Vancouver can somehow find a way to give Max Payne 3 the treatment that Remedy gave their very own Max Payne masterpieces.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »
Speaking of which, I wonder why Remedy aren't the ones developing MP3. Maybe they didn't want to do it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Speaking of which, I wonder why Remedy aren't the ones developing MP3. Maybe they didn't want to do it.

Remedy doesn't own the IP anymore.
Take 2 does.

I don't know if Remedy lost the IP due to poor sales, sold the IP, or what the whole story was on that....no clue.

Also, Remedy is working on Alan Wake.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
Here's some info on Max 3.
Rumored to be from latest Game Informer - July 2009 issue.

Print magazine Game Informer has revealed a new piece of artwork from Max Payne 3, noting the sequel is featured in its July 2009 issue.

While little is known of the forthcoming action game, which is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver instead of creator Remedy and occurs roughly 10 years after Max Payne 2, Deeko passes along some rumored details allegedly pulled out of Game Informer.

These bullet points aren't verified or confirmed, so take that as you will:

* In addition to being bald and bearded, Max is addicted to pain killers.
    * That pain killer addiction will affect gameplay.
    * The game is set in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with battles in "urban ghetto" locales.
    * "Fully destructible environments" and a cover system are in.
    * There will also be some "day and night cycles."
    * Bullet Time is now "more visceral and ultra-violent."
    * Online multiplayer is in, but no details.