Author Topic: What videogames can learn from boardgames  (Read 2799 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
What videogames can learn from boardgames
« on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 10:13:20 AM »
Nice little read. I think he gets a little confused, though. While board games vary in theme quite a bit, the underlying mechanics are similar in all of them with a unique twist here and there (sounds a lot like videogames as a whole). Yet he calls for videogames to have innovative gameplay.

Maybe the better point to make is to have videogames vary themes more. A good example is Titan Quest. Absolute Diablo clone, yet the Greek theme helps set it apart. Okami is a a lot like Zelda, yet its theme and graphics let it stand on its own.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: What videogames can learn from boardgames
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »
i didnt read the article but i just want to say Hungry, Hungry Hippos and Crossfire kicked all kinds of ass
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »
Yes, we demand more games involving marbles!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »
Crossfire! You'll get caught up in the.....Crossfire! Crossfire! CROSSFIRE!!!!

Yeah dunno how I remember that commercial. I was so excited when I got that game. Just for the record- I could kick anyones ass here in Crossfire. I consider myself a Crossfire master.

Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnH9sSeh77w. That brings back memories.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
You know, I read the whole thing before I realized he doesn't even make a point. It's not that he's not being concise, when you break it down you realize he doesn't even have a point. 

"You can be all these things in boardgames, but you can't in computer games." 

Yeah, that's not true at all.  End of story.  Go back to making Zoo Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Real Estate Tycoon, and Theme Park Tycoon.  Your lack of imagination isn't a sign of the staleness of the industry as a whole.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
His premise sounds quite flawed, so I didn't bother to read it.  I just wanted to add that the Crossfire commercial doesn't seem that long ago to me.  Is this what happens when you get old and time no longer holds any meaning?   :(

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »
What?! That was like....12 years ago. Maybe 11. It seems like an eternity to me. You old fart.  :-[

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking it wasn't that old either.  Although that's probably just because it's not as old as the most memorable commercial ever

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 11:49:58 PM »
How's the World of Warcraft boardgame :P

I didn't read the article, but I've never been too into board games myself.  I mean, I've only played a handful of board games, mainly like Chess and Monopoly and stuff.  Being an only child and having parents that don't share that interest limit my exposure to board games when I was a child.  Plus, most of my friends weren't that into that stuff either.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 23, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking it wasn't that old either.  Although that's probably just because it's not as old as the most memorable commercial ever

Dude, that old womans face was AWESOME after she plugged in that clapper. I literally stopped the video after that. It couldn't get any better.