Author Topic: Free 1 year subscription to Games For Windows mag  (Read 2838 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Free 1 year subscription to Games For Windows mag
« on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
Go go go!

Giving away 25,000 subscriptions. Signed up for mine (which hopefully extends the one I already have). Its a nice mag.

EDIT

Looks to be US only.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Free 1 year subscription to Games For Windows mag
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »
Meh... US only.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
Cool.  Signed up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »
Me too.  I sort of hate this whole Games for Windows campaign, but I'm currently without any current mag subscriptions, so I'll take what I can get.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »
I take it this offer isn't valid for here :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 12:26:20 AM »
Their podcast is pretty entertaining.

On a side note, I've grown less interested in the PC Gamer podcast.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 03:06:30 AM »
Well I continued my subscription to PCG because in all honesty, there isn't much of a choice. But yea some of there reviews have been way way off. For example they gave Just Cause a score of 93%, which is insane. They also gave Gun a similar score, which is again insanity.

Also in the past they would dedicate any game with a 92+ score a lengthy review. Now some of these 'great' games are getting one paragraph reviews. :(

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 08:30:13 AM »
Seems to have gotten a bit funny since Vede turned bossman.  Things seemed better during the Gary Whitta, Rob Smith, Dan Morris days.  That isn't to say I don't like the Vede, because I find him amusing and have no proof that anything happening at the mag is his fault, but it just seems like things are kinda' different these days.  I don't dislike the mag or the podcast at all, I think I just don't like them quite as much as I once did.  Still the best PC gaming mag out there (at least as far as I've seen), though there are cross-platform mags that are better (such as Game Informer).

And yeah, I seem to disagree with PCG's reviews more often these days, but... eh.  I've sort of stopped caring about that.  I realize I often have my own opinions which differ widely from the average review at *any* site a lot more often than they used to.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 09:01:45 AM »
Yea despite my complaints, I still generally have a lot of love for the mag and the guys at the mag.

So far I think The Vede has done a great job, but he made a couple of kooky decisions. One that was a big mistake.

PCG has always been organized so that there are the scoops and the previews, followed by the reviews and then the editorials. The front cover specials are in the middle.

What The Vede did was organize it into sections like action, RPG, strategy and gamut. Now that may sound like a good idea in theory, but basically the reviews were all over the place. For example an action game review would be in the action section, followed by a bunch of previews, and then would come the RPG reviews and so on.

This made things a bit confusing. I liked the reviews together, because it kinda felt like getting to the main course.

The worst of it was if a review was part of the cover story then it wouldn't even be in the genre section, but the front cover story section.

Thankfully after much protest they came to their senses and put things to normal.

Also I thought Whitta and Morris were quite awesome. Whitta may have some controversial views, but I love his writing. Rob was kinda meh for me because that's when it seemed the mag started getting thinner, and their love for electronic arts and battlefield started.

Despite all the complaints, I still love the mag. I'll probably subscribe to it till I die.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »
Nice catch, Idol.

Can't beat the word "FREE" -- especially w/ no strings attached.