Author Topic: Play Morrowind in Oblivion: Morroblivion  (Read 1195 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Play Morrowind in Oblivion: Morroblivion
« on: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
Site

Seems to be a mod for Oblivion that converts all the files from Morrowind into the Oblivion engine. You need Morrowind installed and junk for it to work. Anyway, some of you *cough*Que*cough* might want to try it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Play Morrowind in Oblivion: Morroblivion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
Ooooh, sounds like a cool mod to me.

Offline KontrollerX

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
Now that looks pretty damn sweet.  8)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
Someone asked on their forum what the mod actually does, and this was the response:
Morroblivion converts the land, most NPCs, environment sounds, cities, a lot of items, and other stuff. Things that aren't converted over yet are quests, scripts, some animations, dialogue, and items. Basically, all you can do is explore the land and cities. There isn't really anything to do other than that yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »
That has tons of potential if they can actually get it working.  I would totally play that.  I can't tell you how much I miss Morrowind, and I get the urge to go back and play it quite frequently.  Think of it like visiting a place you totally love and identify with, spending tons of time there, then getting pulled away from it and never getting to go back.  Even if it's just a place in a game, there's an emotional attachment to the land and its cultures for me, and there are moments when I realize that time has dulled my memories of it to the point where it almost could have been real in retrospect.  I remember the feel of the environments almost as real things, you know?  The harshness of the deserts and ash storms near Ald'ruhn, the cold wetness of the black, ocean-polished stones on the shores of Dagon Fel, the warmth of the Argonian Mission inside the walls of Ebonheart.  There's something strange about it.  Even if I don't necessarily feel like going back and playing the game, I want to go back and visit the places again.  Sometimes, though, I think the experience is more real in my mind than it is in the game, and I wonder if playing again will feel half as good.  It usually evens out, though, since once I want to play the game again as well, the depth of the mechanics makes up for the lack of physical depth in the world (as compared to the real world).

But, uh... yeah.  I'd play it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
Damn, that would be amazing!

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this a few days ago! I was actually thinking "Man, it would be awesome if there was some way to play Morrowind in Oblivion's engine!" Kind of eerie..

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 07:32:44 AM »
That has tons of potential if they can actually get it working.  I would totally play that.  I can't tell you how much I miss Morrowind, and I get the urge to go back and play it quite frequently.  Think of it like visiting a place you totally love and identify with, spending tons of time there, then getting pulled away from it and never getting to go back.  Even if it's just a place in a game, there's an emotional attachment to the land and its cultures for me, and there are moments when I realize that time has dulled my memories of it to the point where it almost could have been real in retrospect.  I remember the feel of the environments almost as real things, you know?  The harshness of the deserts and ash storms near Ald'ruhn, the cold wetness of the black, ocean-polished stones on the shores of Dagon Fel, the warmth of the Argonian Mission inside the walls of Ebonheart.  There's something strange about it.  Even if I don't necessarily feel like going back and playing the game, I want to go back and visit the places again.  Sometimes, though, I think the experience is more real in my mind than it is in the game, and I wonder if playing again will feel half as good.  It usually evens out, though, since once I want to play the game again as well, the depth of the mechanics makes up for the lack of physical depth in the world (as compared to the real world).

But, uh... yeah.  I'd play it.

Troof.

Realistically, with all that's been done with Morrowind and Oblivion, You could spend years just playing those two games.  I like Morrowind's world much more than Oblivion's.  It may be less technically proficient, but there were definitely major differences in environments.

Glad to know i'm not the only person that feels like this about games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
No indeed.  You and I are definitely on the same page where Elder Scrolls games are concerned.  I agree that Morrowind was more interesting than Oblivion.  It was more exotic and unusual, where Oblivion went for a somewhat more typical fantasy setting.  I mean, that fits with the series lore and all, at least to a degree (unfortunately there were a lot of missed opportunities where backstory and history were concerned in Oblivion), and Shivering Isles brought back that weird, exotic, crazy flavor, even if in different ways, but there was something simple and elegant about the way they did it in Morrowind, and to this day I don't think I've ever been more immersed in a game.  I still haven't beaten the expansions, so I could still go back and play it like it was brand new.  The single biggest problem with that one was the quality of the animations, a problem that's still present in Oblivion.  Well, and the quality of the models wasn't too great either, but that kind of cosmetic issue was easily rectified on the PC with mods.  So after extensive modding, the only problem that remained, I think, was the animations.  They were just never quite up to par.  Everything else, though... gads.  I could go on for years about that game.  I loved it so much.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野