Author Topic: Make my choices for me!  (Read 2106 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Make my choices for me!
« on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
Just about done Xenosaga Ep. III (i think).

God of War II or Final Fantasy XII.

Other suggestions welcome.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Make my choices for me!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »
que will chip in any second now praising FFXII, so i'm just here to pre-emptively dilute that praise. it's a good game that will keep you very busy, but it lacks the story driven soul that made other FF games so great. having said that, if you're a FF fan, you owe it to yourself to give it a go - many people feel differently than me.

having never played either of the god of war games, i couldn't comment on that one.

from the games you mentioned, i take it you're just looking for PS2 games? if so, and you haven't played guitar hero yet, you should certainly try that. i don't care how stupid you look while playing it, in my mind there is no doubt that it will be remembered as one of the greatest games of it's generation.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
I think he already owns the games and can't decide between the two.

I say God of War II.  It's an amazingly awesome game with a frenetic pace, and it's a lot shorter.  So you can get that one out of the way, and then FFXII will slow the pace down a little and last you a lot longer, but that way you won't have another game to go when you start it.  I dunno', that's how I tend to work if I can.  Get the shorter game done first just to make the queue seem shorter.  Either way you can't go wrong, though.  Both games are top notch.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 12:08:49 AM »
I say God of War II first just because its a lot shorter than FFXII.  Both are great games so you're going to have a blast.

Also, how are you enjoying Xenosaga III so far?  Have any of the cutscenes tugged at your heart yet?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »
No comment until I've  finished it, but so far no.  As for the original post, I probably should have been more clear.  I don't own either of them.  I'm actually leaning a bit more towords FFXII right now, since it will probably keep me occupied all summer and then pick up GoW2 after that (hopefully at a lower price).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 10:29:01 PM »
If you're looking for length and involvement, FFXII is your bet.  I guarantee you that you'll get more out of it than GoWII, good as that game is.  What it lacks in raw character impact or plot (which is there, just not as much as in other games), FFXII more than makes up for in world, art, music, and design.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
So, I went by a video rental store on my way home for work because there was a starbucks beside it.  First of all, Starbucks coffee kind of sucks, and the atmosphere of the whole place blows.  Beyond that, they have raised their coffee price in the recent past.  That's fine..prices go up.  The thing is that a grande coffee now costs $2.00 even.  Back when it was $1.80 or whatever you'd give them $2 and walk away from the change anyways because who the fuck needs two dimes?  Considering the roughly $40 in change I end up with from the bar every weekend, the last thing I need is two dimes twice a day monday to friday.  Anyways, they raised the price up to $2 even...essentially cutting out the tip money from their employees without actually raising the prices.

At first, this may seem like a good idea, but I think otherwise.  People who go to starbucks are going to go to starbucks anyways.  Their whole model is based around either convenience or aesthetics for people with no taste.  Coffee is something you can either make better yourself if you're not too lazy or can go to a smaller place and get for cheaper (and more delicious).  Specialty drinks are another story, but I don't think raising the price up another ten cents would have killed starbucks.  What this does is basically take money from their employees, who are going to want to be compensated in some other way.  So now, instead of starbucks having a revenue stream benefiting their employees completely off the book, they now have to either settle for shittier employees or compensating them on the books through other means after being taxed on that twenty cents.  Not that I care, those assholes are paid too much anyways and totally don't deserve tips. 

Um, back onto topic....I swung by the store and saw they had FFXII for $30 used.  I looked at it and remembered it was done by the guy who did Vagrant Story (maybe the best game ever).  My decision was made and I picked it up.  The kind of nice, kind of bitchy cashier told me they had a two for one deal so I swung back and picked up Valkyrie PRofile 2 as well.  Two games ran me about $32.

Sadly, they didn't have GoWII at all, so I'll have to grab that another time.  The other option was Resident Evil 4 (PS2), but the sticker on that was only $14 so it wouldn't have made much sense (besides, I've played through most of it and don't really feel like doing so again at the moment unless it's on the wii or PC).  I think I'll head by another branch of the chain today and see what they have in there.

So, has anyone played Valkyrie Profile 2 yet?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
I still haven't played the first.  Have the PSP version waiting for me for whenever I have some time.  Nothing yet, though.  Anyway... I hope you dig FFXII as much as I did.  That way you'll have something to talk about when you come on the podcast.

You heard me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »
Good choices, I'm actually considering picking Valkyrie Profile 2 soon next month since its only $25 new at my work and have been meaning to play it.  I really want to get Grim Grimoire too though.  Decisions, decisions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Yeah, I never actually finished the first either (emulation and this game don't mix too well), but I got pretty far into it.  I'll probably just end up reading a plot summary online to figure out what I missed. 

Either way, I think I'll hit up FFXII first.