Author Topic: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Still looks good)  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Still looks good)
« on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 12:29:20 AM »
You may remember my earlier frustrations with the game with the two cd keys. The issue was that the packaging comes with two keys, one for installation and the other for online. There weren't clear instructions regarding which to use unfortunately, and they both didn't work.

After I patched the game to 1.05 the install key started to work, but then the game asked to verify the DVD. Once it started doing that it didn't stop for another ten minutes, so I restarted my comp out of frustration. Next I found an easily available crack that worked only on 1.05, and then removed the starforce drivers, and the game worked like a charm.

I finished the first mission before hitting the sack last night, and was playing at hard mode, and found it too easy. I am considering restarting on expert, and had a question for those that have played Chaos Theory. Is expert mode too difficult? Also another question. When you've grabbed someone from behind, with the primary attack key you knock them out, while with the secondary attack key you put them in a sleeper hold. How do you use the knife to kill them?

Anyway I realized how much I missed Splinter Cell. Chaos Theory is fantastic.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Still looks good)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »
I finished the first mission before hitting the sack last night, and was playing at hard mode, and found it too easy. I am considering restarting on expert, and had a question for those that have played Chaos Theory. Is expert mode too difficult? Also another question. When you've grabbed someone from behind, with the primary attack key you knock them out, while with the secondary attack key you put them in a sleeper hold. How do you use the knife to kill them?

I haven't really noticed much difference in the difficulty other than the fact that you're more easily detected in Hard and Expert i.e. They'll hear you more easily.

When you grab someone, the left click button will always kill them. The right click will knock them out, sometimes with a sleeper hold and sometimes just a knockout punch. Left click kills in all sorts of ways, like breaking necks or knifing depending on how you attack. I think if you're holding a guy Sam will just break his neck or spine, but if you left click without grabbing you get to knife 'em.

Definitely the best of the Splinter Cell games.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Yea Chaos Theory is awesome.  Glad to know you got it working.  It definitely is one of the best in the series.  I wish Double Agent didn't suck.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
So, when is UbiSoft officially going to remove StarForce from this game??

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Yea Chaos Theory is awesome.  Glad to know you got it working.  It definitely is one of the best in the series.  I wish Double Agent didn't suck.

Yea this is awesome so far. The first one was great, the second was good but not great, and this is excellent. I will play Double Agent after this.

I haven't really noticed much difference in the difficulty other than the fact that you're more easily detected in Hard and Expert i.e. They'll hear you more easily.

When you grab someone, the left click button will always kill them. The right click will knock them out, sometimes with a sleeper hold and sometimes just a knockout punch. Left click kills in all sorts of ways, like breaking necks or knifing depending on how you attack. I think if you're holding a guy Sam will just break his neck or spine, but if you left click without grabbing you get to knife 'em.

Definitely the best of the Splinter Cell games.

Well I checked the manual and the primary mouse key knocks them out while like you said the secondary button puts them to sleep. I wish there was a way to slit their throats while having them in a hold.

Also do you know of any blood patches. The only things unsatisfactory is lack of blood, especially when knifing.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
There really isn't any blood in SC games.  And the primary mouse key is the killing blow.  It is always the killing blow in Chaos Theory.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
Strange. In the manual on page 37 it says "A spy can grab his opponent by using the use key when he is close behind the enemy. You can also talk to him (press the hack key). Press the use key again to break his neck or the primary fire key to knock him down. If you don't do anything he will lose consciousness over time."

So wait that hack key doesn't do what the manual says and if you don't do anything your enemy doesn't lose consciousness.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 01:36:34 PM »
Ubi really need to remove StarForce from this game.

They removed weaker CRP's, like Securom from Myst: Uru Complete Collection and XIII in patches b/c of the issues users had w/ them.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »
Well if you install 1.05 you can just take a few minutes to hack it and then just easily remove the starforce crap. I'd say it is really worth a buy D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
Well if you install 1.05 you can just take a few minutes to hack it and then just easily remove the starforce crap. I'd say it is really worth a buy D.

I already do have the game, bro. :P

I just ain't played it.
Like Pandora Tomorrow, it's installed -- but just sittin' there,

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 12:00:25 AM »

Play Pandora Tomorrow damnit. Because after that you can finish Chaos Theory and we can play online. You know how much fun Chaos Theory is online? It is incredible? Last night I gave it a shot and in one situation I was near a corner with my heart beat detector while the other guy was doing the same thing across the corner. We both laughed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 03, 2007, 12:44:35 PM »
I am pretty close to finishing Chaos Theory I think. Quite good, and the best Splinter Cell I've played so far.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 03, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
CS is by far the best. Just confirms to me that Ubisoft Montréal are the best thing about Ubisoft now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 06:14:56 AM »

How'd you get around the StarForce crap???

Quote from: X
CS is by far the best. Just confirms to me that Ubisoft Montréal are the best thing about Ubisoft now.
Was DA's biggest problem the tech issues on the PC version???
Other than the tech issues, how was the actual game itself?

Is the tech issues what keep it from being better than Chaos Theory?
Or was CT's story better than DA's, as well?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
www.gamecopyworld.com

Look for Chaos Theory. It will tell you how to get across the starforce with 1.05.

Initially when I bought CT, I installed the game and tried to run it. It took FIFTEEN minutes just to check if my CD was authentic, which it damn well was. So when I saw  the crack I was really happy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
Initially when I bought CT, I installed the game and tried to run it. It took FIFTEEN minutes just to check if my CD was authentic, which it damn well was.
That's bullshit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »
I finished Chaos Theory a few days ago. Overall I'd say it was a highly polished version of the Splinter Cell formula, that played it safe, but well. I really enjoyed it despite it being typically linear. It was surprisingly goofy too!

The game has you battling a lot of North Korean soldiers and they are made to sound like 12 year old menstruating girls. The voice acting is really bad, in a deliberate and funny way. Some of the North Koreans will shout stuff like,"MOMMMYYYYYYYY"... "You are FRIGHTENING MEEEEEE.".... Yes these are trained soldiers.

One of the funniest things I've seen in a game is in Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow. The whole game was serious like the original, without a hint of humor. In one scene I was at the Chinese embassy when the alarm was raised and a cut scene followed showing two soldiers running across a hall. It all seemed like typically serious Splinter Cell stuff, when out of the blue for no reason one of the soldiers just tripped, fell on his face, and then instantly got back up and started running. It was so simple, yet in the middle of a very moody game it was hilarious.

Back to Chaos Theory; I'd say it was the best of the first three, but I found myself more excited by the first. I think the only fault with Chaos Theory was that it played it too safe. The visuals though, were stellar even by today's standards. Great game. If I had to rate it, I'd rate this 92%, especially with the multiplayer being so amazing. The first I'd give 94% because it felt very new and different, while the second I'd give 85%.

(click to show/hide)

I leave you all with one final screenie. The following is part of the most badass gaming moment known to man... now I miss playing Chaos Theory:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »
Awesome screenie.

That looks like some bad-ass cinematic kind of moment you'd see in a Hollywood action movie....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »
Where are you in your Splinter Cell games?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 11, 2007, 01:51:36 PM »
Where are you in your Splinter Cell games?

SC is done.

Ain't began SC: Pandora.

I plan to do Pandora, then  do Chaos Theory -- whenever that might be...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
Get to Pandora man... and then Chaos Theory. Start playing. :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 01, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
Get to Pandora man... and then Chaos Theory. Start playing. :D

Pug, you'll be happy to know...
I'm (finally) playing Pandora.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 10:34:48 AM »
I just finished Pandora Tomorrow.
Yeah, I liked it -- was pretty good.

I'm catching up on these SC games.
Next up, Chaos Theory...

EDIT, 6:42pm, Atlantic Time:
Been playing some Chaos Theory.
Got through the Cargo Ship mission.
Bank mission's next.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 03:42:32 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
Hey, Puggy -- I finished SC: CT today.

Best Splinter Cell in the series, so far -- and yes, by far. I liked the last two Splinter Cells quite a deal, but not like CT. Chaos Theory was easily the best one of the three games. Awesome game -- absolutely awesome. And I do like the idea of there being optional objectives that you can do, if you want to -- that reminds me kinda' of Thief, as well.

Though -- yeah, keep in mind, I ain't played SC: Double Agent.
But, I don't know....I think it'd be really hard for any SC game to come and top SC: CT, to be honest.
It was just *that* freakin' great, to say the least.