Author Topic: Meteor shower this weekend  (Read 2125 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Meteor shower this weekend
« on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »
Yay!

And a new moon means it'll be nice and dark, perfect for seeing them. Hopefully the clouds and rain hold off a bit so I can see some.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Meteor shower this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 07:24:23 PM »
Oh yeah.  I forgot.  Perseid meteor shower.  Maximum is usually on the night of the 11th & early morning of the 12th.  Some friends and I used to watch it regularly, starting like in 1970.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »
That'd be great, but being here in the city generally isn't so great for seeing such things, and I never end up making a trip out to anywhere where viewing is better.  Still, might be able to catch a bit of it.  It's always enjoyable.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
Meg and I went up to Hoover Dam tonight. Not the HOOVER DAM, but a smaller dam here in Columbus at Big Walnut Creek. It was really nice, we saw some pretty cool meteors. The last one we saw was at about 2am, and we actually heard it hit the atmosphere, it was sweet. It was like a flash of lighting, and we heard a crack, and it streaked across the sky. It left a tail that stayed for about 10 seconds. It was awesome. Gonna go try to see some tonight too.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
It clouded over and stormed last night, so that was a bust. Hopefully its clear tonight.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Meg and I went up to Hoover Dam tonight. Not the HOOVER DAM, but a smaller dam here in Columbus at Big Walnut Creek. It was really nice, we saw some pretty cool meteors. The last one we saw was at about 2am, and we actually heard it hit the atmosphere, it was sweet. It was like a flash of lighting, and we heard a crack, and it streaked across the sky. It left a tail that stayed for about 10 seconds. It was awesome. Gonna go try to see some tonight too.

Uh, that's a damn rare event, my friend--a bolide.  I've seen one--count them, one--of those in my entire life, and I wasn't even watching a shower at the time.  Holy shit . . .

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »
Really? I didn't realize. Thats awesome. It was spectacular. I'll never forget it. We're gonna go again tonight at about midnight. I'm kind of asking some people I know where the best place to view them in Columbus is.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 05:39:07 PM »
I wish I was up north at my grandmas farm. Its so far away from any town that any night you can see thousands of stars. Plus its all farm fields so you can see clear to the horizon. Would be awesome to watch it there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 13, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »
Really? I didn't realize. Thats awesome. It was spectacular. I'll never forget it. We're gonna go again tonight at about midnight. I'm kind of asking some people I know where the best place to view them in Columbus is.

You may see other long, bright meteors, even one or so that splits up.  But seeing one that looks like a roman candle and *hearing* it explode truly is amazing.  Hope lightning strikes twice for you.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »
We went to Scottsyard late Sunday night/early Monday morning. And we didn't see much of anything. And it was clear as hell out there. You could see why they call it the Milky Way, but we didn't see many meteors. Just a few here and there.