Author Topic: I need a good Cover Story  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
I need a good Cover Story
« on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
It has recently come to my attention that publicly advertising what I do for a living isn't exactly a safe or smart thing to do.  Nor, is stating my profession to random people I happen to meet.  This is unfortunate, because I finally have a somewhat interesting job, but also gives me the opportunity to have a cool fake backstory to tell people when I meet them, particularly people in bars, clubs etc.  So far, I've just stuck with telling people that I am a student on vacation, but that won't fly for much longer since I won't always want to give the impression that I'm just visiting somewhere.

Key elements needed:

Story should be somewhat interesting, as well as believable.  However, shouldn't be too interestiing, as I'd rather just mention it and move on to something else in a conversation without sounding like an asshole.

Thoughts?  Ideas?

So far all I've really come up with is telling people that I work for the government and not being more specific, but I have a feeling people would pry for a little more information.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: I need a good Cover Story
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
I work for the government, *and I can't be any more specific than that.*

Then flash a gun.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:03:48 PM »
Haha... I used to work for the NZ Department of Internal Affairs, (DIA) it was a pretty boring job but people always assumed otherwise so I'd just shrug and say 'sorry can't really go into details other than to say it involves passports’. I would also drop hints into the conversation (if it continued) about a black/watch list, the new chip technology and ways of IDing fake passports (again all true).

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
Both of those are the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:12:47 PM »
I work for the government, *and I can't be any more specific than that.*

Then flash a gun.

Somewhere around that time I should probably also order a Dry Martini.  Shaken, not stirred.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »
Say you are an accountant for some big local company. No one will press further since no one gives a shit about math. And if they do...well, a companies financials are confidential information.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »
Personal bodyguard.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »
Say you are an accountant for some big local company. No one will press further since no one gives a shit about math. And if they do...well, a companies financials are confidential information.

Not bad.

Personal bodyguard.

Too interesting, although that would probably be fun once or twice.

Keep 'em comming.  One of these days I'll have to go around and test a bunch out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
What DO you do?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
He traffics illegal human body parts to foreign countries.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »
To be ground up and used as aphrodisiacs.

Hmm... I don't have much on this.  Accounting is great if you're just trying to get people off your back.  Or anything office-related.  IT guy, file clerk, facility manager... just pick a desk jockey job and watch people cease to care about your career.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »
My cover story is that I am a consultant.  If I get asked about clients, which has yet to happen once, the information is confidential.  If I'm asked what I'm doing right now, I'm between assignments, which is not entirely false.  (Only the time scale involved is much greater than anyone would assume.)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
hmmm I suppose my old job of Claims Representative would make a pretty good cover story.  I would mention it, people would make some lame comment like "well.... I'll be the money is good" and we would move on.  I really used to loathe telling people what I did for a living though.

I suppose any mundane office job would do.  People don't really seem to care when you have a boring office job like everyone else.  Part of me wants to tell people that I'm a semi-pro BMX rider or a sponsored wake-boarder.  The downside is that I'd have to live the lie all night long since people want to talk more about jobs like that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »
Lying about what you do is always bad.  The only reason I sometimes don't mention it is because my department is despised by many men across the country.  There are bad people who might seriously consider hurting you for working there.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
There are bad people who might seriously consider hurting you for working there.

My reasoning exactly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »
I'd give a story, but I'm afraid they'll think I'm you, once they somehow find out you hang on Overwritten.net and then start using my story if I posted it in this thread. :P

I'm kiddin', I just ain't got a freakin' story....Bah!!

Fresh out of material.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »
My reasoning exactly.

We be kindred spirits, you and I.

And MyD, what *do* you do?  You're a student, right?  But with your gaming habits, I assume you have a job.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
And MyD, what *do* you do?
Nothing of much, since I retired from skating (Dec. 2006) and broke up w/ my girlfriend (Feb. 2007). Oh, those were the grand ole days....
*MyD starts reminiscing of those better times....*

These days, I just work and play lots of games.

You're a student, right?
Was -- and I should go back and complete school.

After failing my last course at Bridgewater State College for a BA in a Comp Sci degree, I pretty much realized, after my grades were slipping below the required GPA anyways, I was pretty much burnt out w/ school.

I already do have my Associates' Degree in Comp. Sci from Massasoit Community College, though.

So, I'm on hiatus from school, for now...

But with your gaming habits, I assume you have a job.
Yep.

I work in a supermarket chain's Office Service's Dept, at their Main Headquarters.