Author Topic: Anyone getting tired of every game having a "Collectors Edition"?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Anyone getting tired of every game having a "Collectors Edition"?
« on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
Seems like every game now has a CE version. While some CEs pack enough in to make them special, like the Big Daddy figure, art books, and...look at Blizzard CEs. There are all these others that seem so forced to tack on an extra $10. "Making Of" DVDs are cool...the one time you ever watch them. Soundtrack CDs are nice, but its about time that shit is just included with the game as nice high quality MP3s that you can burn yourself (and most people rip to MP3 for computer/iPod use anyway so its actually saving a step).

I dunno, just seems like every damn game has a CE.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Anyone getting tired of every game having a "Collectors Edition"?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »
I've never been into special editions.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's that the extras seem gimmicky, or that all I really care about is what boots up on the screen.  The few special eds I've gotten (Prey and Perfect Dark most recently) were priced the same as the regular versions, so why not.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 03:36:36 PM »
I like the special editions if they've got good stuff.  Sometimes I don't care, but most of the time they're worth it.  And you know what?  If you don't like them, don't buy them.  It's pretty much as simple as that. Nobody's forcing them on you.  Some of them are indeed entirely superfluous and worthless, but leave those for the suckers if they feel the need.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 04:32:36 PM »
I like the Special Eds that give me stuff that is NOT exclusively in-game. Optional stuff is cool for a Special Ed -- you know, like Art Books, T-Shirts, Making of The Game, Cool Figurines, and Soundtracks.

I don't like Special Eds that give me extra in-game junk. I HATE that. It's annoying.

Though, Quake 4 had a very cool Special Ed b/c it also gave one of the OLDER Quake games right w/ it; namely Quake 2 + its expansions. That was sweet.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
Yeah I picked up what looked like a stock standard ed. of C&C 3 but it came with C&C 1 Gold... so that was pretty sweet, not that I played it again or anything, but like I said it was the stock standard version of the game so I didn't pay any extra!

I generally don't go for CEs etc the ones I do want sellout really really quick because they are worth while paying that little extra for, for example WoW - that CE sold out in pre-orders within days from what I was told. I don't think soundtracks should just be included because not every game has a worth while soundtrack and if it does then yes it should be an added extra.

What's this extra game content? I thought only MMOs had those, I know WoW CE did, I think it was a panda pet or something - and it certainly didn't add much to the game other than characters running around with little pandas following them around. Stuff like that's fine it's just fun, though if they got a special item with actual benefits from a CE that would be pretty rough.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »
Far from it. I like to feel a difference between pirating a game and buying it. These days games come in paper sleeves with manuals scanned into compressed .pdf files.

With CEs coming at $10 extra, I'd easily rather go for it.

And you know what?  If you don't like them, don't buy them.  It's pretty much as simple as that.

Absolutely. I'd like every game to give the option of a CE.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 01:27:40 AM »
Ah but are they CE's with or without additional in-game content?

Since the extra in-game content stuff started I've been more interested in CE's. Not that I approve of the in-game extras, but because I'm not a huge fan of action figures and posters.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 03:10:37 AM »
I hate in-game content.  With a passion.  So worthless.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 03:15:24 AM »
I hate in-game content.  With a passion.  So worthless.
Yeah a lot of it is utter crap and useless (often purely cosmetic). I'd rather get an art book or a soundtrack, even a 'making of' DVD.

I mean I don't mind if they add in the extra in-game stuff along with the physical bonuses. I think in Guild Wars you had a special halo over your character's head if you got the presale or the CE.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 05:38:09 AM »
Yeah a lot of it is utter crap and useless (often purely cosmetic). I'd rather get an art book or a soundtrack, even a 'making of' DVD.

I mean I don't mind if they add in the extra in-game stuff along with the physical bonuses.
I think what that does, by having extra in-game content (that matters), even if it ain't much, it makes the gamer GO after that edition b/c they want all the in-game content they can get. And often, that stuff -- it ain't worth the price of the CE. Personally, I think it's annoying. Collector's Eds should give you more junk that isn't in-game -- stuff that's optional and isn't in-game.

When they pull that shit of "Extra in-game content only in the CE", it's almost -- but not as quite as annoying -- as when a new music album comes out, there's like 43 Editions all found at 43 different stores. The Best Buy Edition of an album gets an extra song to download w/ your special little "Free Online "Download" Code, while maybe Circuit City Edition of the same album might get some OTHER extra song that comes right on the disc, meanwhile Target Edition of the album gets a new Ringtone & Phone Wallpaper, while if you buy it from ITunes you will get a music video. Ummm....WTF? Can you just make a ONE Deluxe Edition that is the same for everybody w/ ONE extra disc w/ all this scattered everywhere extra content in one freakin' place?

I think in Guild Wars you had a special halo over your character's head if you got the presale or the CE.
Yeah, I don't mind that -- which all that does it lets other players know "I bought the Special Edition." That's actually pretty cool. :)

I don't mind that buying the GW Collector's Ed got basically extra dances and emotes, which really do nothing much to the game itself. That stuff doesn't have a major effect on the rest of the game itself, at all.

But, there are extra armor, weapons, and items and junk, in the GW: CE, as well -- so, bleh on that! And often if you Pre-Order a "Chapter" of Guild Wars, you can get more in-game content -- bleh @ that!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »

I mean I don't mind if they add in the extra in-game stuff along with the physical bonuses. I think in Guild Wars you had a special halo over your character's head if you got the presale or the CE.

See, I'm just the opposite.  I hate the game itself being in any way different.  You should not have to pay extra to get the whole game.  And if the extra game content isn't substantive enough to be considered part of the whole, then why bother.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »
See, I'm just the opposite.  I hate the game itself being in any way different.  You should not have to pay extra to get the whole game.  And if the extra game content isn't substantive enough to be considered part of the whole, then why bother.

I agree w/ this 100%.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
One thing that annoys me in Guild Wars is that exclusive stuff. Ok, so the pre-order or collectors editions weapons arent too bad because its mostly cosmetic, and you can get the equivalent weapons in game (though much harder and far more expensive.) What actually bugs me are the holiday hats. See, on the various in-game holidays you can earn a special hat. Theres santa hats, jester caps, pumpkin heads, antlers, even turn you into a candycorn golem thing. First time I saw them I was like "I totally want those! I'll just wait for that holiday to come around."

It doesn't work like that. Each year the hat is new, and there is no way to acquire the old hats. Can't trade em, cant sell em, and there is no quest or anything to get them.

I liked the WoW holiday items. During the year you might see a guy turned into a snowman, or riding a reindeer. You can't get it now...but in due time you can earn your own. But GW...you're SoL and will never get one.