Author Topic: I got an iPod  (Read 3361 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
I got an iPod
« on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 12:26:09 AM »
I may burn in hell for owning an Apple product. I swore I never would, but then my parents offered to buy me one for my birthday, since I'm always borrowing my brother's.

I got the iPod Shuffle. I'm used to carrying a big ass CD player and like 5 CDs, so the Shuffle gives me a smaller item to carry, and still a shitload more music with me than I'm used to. I can't believe how small the thing is. It's smaller than the GBA games scattered across my desk.

Now if only iTunes didn't have to take forever to import and convert/whatever my 7000 or so songs...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: I got an iPod
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 01:17:10 AM »
Off to hell with you, then.  Why didn't you just have them buy you a real MP3 player instead?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 02:52:09 AM »
I don't know, it's so tiny and easy to carry around, and just seemed perfect for what I wanted. Plus my brother and sister both have iPods that they've had for a while and had no problems with, so I figured maybe they weren't so bad.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 05:25:48 AM »
Off to hell with you, then.  Why didn't you just have them buy you a real MP3 player instead?
The iPod is a decent device.  It is iTunes that sucks.  But I guess there is a Winamp plugin you can use instead of iTunes.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 05:49:54 AM »
At my old job we got back broken 30 Gig iPods constantly.  It wasn't even user error most of the time, the damn things just froze up or didn't turn on at all and this was only after having them for maybe a month or two at the most.  The Nanos seem to be a little more durable, as we hardly got any of those back.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 06:19:28 AM »
I just think the Shuffle is the most idiotic concept ever conceived for an MP3 player, that's all.  Though I would second what Belmont said.  I think people take the "it just works" line a little too freely when it comes to Apple.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
I got a nano for my birthday last year and I love it. No problems at all. I do hate iTunes but I'm willing to put up with it.

Cools

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
At my old job we got back broken 30 Gig iPods constantly.  It wasn't even user error most of the time, the damn things just froze up or didn't turn on at all and this was only after having them for maybe a month or two at the most.  The Nanos seem to be a little more durable, as we hardly got any of those back.

I've had that happen to me before (both my dad's iPod /w Video and my own Nano), hard reboot is the solution. I can't remember the exact sequence, but it's not hard to do and it fixed the problem all the time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »
So Apple announced new ipods and shit, and a $200 drop on the iPhone only 2 months after it launched which makes me laugh at all the people that just OMG GOTTA GET IT APPLE!

This made me laugh even more.

*EDIT*

Aw, isn't that sweet. Apple will give you $100 store credit if you already bought an iPhone.

Cools

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 02:20:39 PM »
Yeah, I found that funny as well. Didn't expect it to drop in price that fast! I'm guessing they aren't selling as many as they thought they would...

In other news, I think the new iPods look like ass, Nano and that stupidly named "Classic". The "Touch", another stupid name, is cool, but way too small (in storage)...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
So Apple announced new ipods and shit, and a $200 drop on the iPhone only 2 months after it launched which makes me laugh at all the people that just OMG GOTTA GET IT APPLE!

This made me laugh even more.

*EDIT*

Aw, isn't that sweet. Apple will give you $100 store credit if you already bought an iPhone.

That's actually how the cell phone market works. $200 drops after initial launches are very typical.

North America is usually the last to get cellphones... sometimes three years after international launches, so I can see why people are shocked a little.

I expect it to hit $350 in less than six months.

The Razor is a good example of how quickly and massively prices drop for cell phones.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
Yeah, I found that funny as well. Didn't expect it to drop in price that fast! I'm guessing they aren't selling as many as they thought they would...

In other news, I think the new iPods look like ass, Nano and that stupidly named "Classic". The "Touch", another stupid name, is cool, but way too small (in storage)...
Yeah the new Nano is horrible looking.  What were they thinking there?  Touch is pretty awesome.  I don't find the storage space to be all that bad as I have an 8GB Nano (2G).

North America is usually the last to get cellphones... sometimes three years after international launches, so I can see why people are shocked a little.
I never really understood that.  I guess we're just used to what we have, or are less willing to buy a $600 cell phone.  I don't know.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »
I'm probably going with a Zen Nano/Muvo from Creative. Mostly because I can just toss a AAA battery in it, and 1-2GB is enough music to keep me happy. I have no need to carry my entire music collection with me.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
Yeah, I saw the new models yesterday, and although the Touch is kind of cool in that it uses the iphone interface, I don't think the storage makes the price worthwhile.  The classic is cool, but I'd rather see a price drop instead of a storage increase (who the fuck has 80GB of music?  Videos maybe).  Eitherway, I"m hoping for a new creative offering to compete because I fucking hate iTunes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »
Fuck iTunes with a baseball bat.

Anyway, thanks for the link, idol.  That was quite funny.  I hate cellphones in general so obviously I don't really care all that much about the issue, but I will certainly say this - the other day on the subway I saw a guy using his iPhone, and it made me want to vomit.  Why?  Because it was a slick-looking device with all this fancy stuff, and like disgusting hand smudges ALL OVER IT.  It seriously made me want to puke.  I've seen the same thing happen to PSPs when people refuse to clean them.

People disgust me.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »
I guess we're just used to what we have, or are less willing to buy a $600 cell phone.  I don't know.

given that i've never paid cash money for a phone, i'd have to say it's unrelated to the cost of the phone. it's so competitive here, that if you sign up for a £30 a month contract you can get pretty much any phone for free and they'll even throw in a next gen console.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 09:57:45 PM »
It's not too different here.  I got my Blackberry Pearl for free for signing a contract.  It's a $400 phone here.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »
The phones don't make money -- the contracts and the accessories do. You get some long term customers that buy car chargers, phone chargers, etc, and you are making money.

I was appalled when I spent 35 bucks on a car charger. I felt used.