Author Topic: I can't connect to Wi-Fi  (Read 2197 times)

Offline ren

• Veteran
I can't connect to Wi-Fi
« on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
When I'm in a hotspot, I go to the list of wireless networks, click connect and Vista does so. I'm always able to connect locally but never to the internet. Other people around me are able to connect without any problem. I have no idea what the cause could be.

Dell Inspiron 1420 with Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Anyone know what the problem could be?

edit: I googled and played around with some settings but I won't be able to check until wednesday.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2007, 07:02:42 PM by ren »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: I can't connect to Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
Could be a million things.  I'd have to be in your shoes to figure it out.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 06:49:36 AM »
If you're using Vista, you're going to end up teaching me all about it.   :)

Seriously, I've always found networking to be a bit like magic.  Nothing ever makes sense to me.  You simply need to find the correct incantation.  Good luck.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 07:37:09 AM »
Wired networking isn't magic, but wireless is.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »
It's just as well. WiFi gives you cancer, radioactivity, and incurable stupid.

but if I'm in the hotspots I'm still exposed! Next time I'm in one is wednesday so I'll just play with everything then.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 08:17:19 AM »
I would never use a hotspot wireless.  You do realize that all that anything that gets sent over the air is sent in the clear unless you are on a SSL website or something.  Anyone else connected to the hotspot's AP can see whatever you are doing.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
I would never use a hotspot wireless.  You do realize that all that anything that gets sent over the air is sent in the clear unless you are on a SSL website or something.  Anyone else connected to the hotspot's AP can see whatever you are doing.
Several things wrong with this:
  • Ethernet hubs have exactly that same flaw.
  • Security protocols like WPA-Enterprise and 802.11i solve this problem.
  • I had a professor once tell me that WPA-PSK also uses a secure, public key-based handshake, but having looked into the matter a little, I think said professor was full of shit.
  • Most routers on the Internet were configured by idiots, which is why most routers allow remote login, and still use the default passwords. With little more than a CCNA's worth of technical skill, you could configure some of these routers to eavesdrop all traffic to/from a given IP address.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »
Ethernet hubs have exactly that same flaw.
I'm fully aware of that.  It is unlikely that a hotspot would have an Ethernet hub and even if it did, I wouldn't use it.

Security protocols like WPA-Enterprise and 802.11i solve this problem.
It is unlikely that a hotspot uses such methods.

I had a professor once tell me that WPA-PSK also uses a secure, public key-based handshake, but having looked into the matter a little, I think said professor was full of shit.
I do not see how this is relevant to anything I said.

Most routers on the Internet were configured by idiots, which is why most routers allow remote login, and still use the default passwords. With little more than a CCNA's worth of technical skill, you could configure some of these routers to eavesdrop all traffic to/from a given IP address.
True, but mine isn't configured that way.  I'm sure my network isn't hack-proof, but it is a far cry from logging onto a hotspot's wireless access point and conducting business in a coffee shop when there is a fair chance a neighbor is using something like Wireshark to capture everything floating through the air.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
It is unlikely that a hotspot uses such methods.
802.11i is part of the 802.11n standard, so eventually everyone will use it.
I do not see how [WPA-PSK] is relevant to anything I said.
It definitely is.
True, but [my router] isn't configured that way.  I'm sure my network isn't hack-proof, but it is a far cry from logging onto a hotspot's wireless access point and conducting business in a coffee shop when there is a fair chance a neighbor is using something like Wireshark to capture everything floating through the air.
I wasn't talking about that cheap tiny box you keep at home. I was talking about real routers, like ISPs use. The ones that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, that have 10 gigabit ethernet, and that are rack-mounted.