Author Topic: Band of Brothers is $25 at amazon  (Read 2484 times)

Offline ren

• Veteran
Band of Brothers is $25 at amazon
« on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »
I just bought it two weeks ago for $40. Kind of sucks knowing it's gone down in price but it's still way cheaper than the $70 it goes for in Canada.

Anyways, you can all go and buy it now.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Band of Brothers is $25 at amazon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
Oooohh....

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
wow, that is one heck of a deal.  resisting...... urge....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »
I'm glad that I have no interest in watching it, otherwise that'd be another good deal that I couldn't pass up.  Good deals are great, but when there are too many at once, they stack up and make you poor just the same.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 01:13:07 AM »
No interest in wa.....Que, this is the best mini series ever.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »
I must agree with gpw. At least rent it from netflix. Its amazing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 01:18:51 AM »
Apparently one of my dad's best friends from high school works for the pentagon and had something to do with production.  Either way, he's pretty good friends with Malarky and got him to send me a bunch of cool shit from the company.  It's pretty rad.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:13:57 AM »
I wish my dad had friends in Hollywood.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:58:37 AM »
You guys seem to forget that most war stuff bores the shit out of me.  I just have no interest in it.  I find the concepts romantic in a certain sense, but unless I'm actually sitting around and talking about it with a vet or reading about it in the words of a real person, I just don't find it interesting or entertaining.  You guys all like war and army stuff, I just really don't.  That's why I don't play Call of Duty games or things of that nature.  My grandfather fought and told me many stories about it before he died, including watching his friends get literally blown apart by grenades and such, and I found the wartime reminiscings in Richard Hugo's The Triggering Town to be wonderfully emotional and relevant recollections, but there's something vastly different about that than watching Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down.  Those just do nothing for me.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »
The first two episodes are my favourite so far (I'm halfway through). Boot camp was done way better than I've ever seen it before, and D-Day from the planes was something I hadn't seen done that well before either. The rest of it is pretty typical army movie kind of stuff. It's definitely better than most, but it is pretty typical.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
BoB is quite possibly the best rendition of the war that I have ever seen.  A VERY small amount of the truth was stretched for TV's sake.  Reading the book (and Dick Winters' bio) made it very apparent that all involved had every intention of making the miniseries as truthful as possible.

Everyone should see this at least once.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
Well Que, I honestly have no idea how anyone could not like or wish to see Band Of Brothers, but I respect your opinion.

But yes, it is easily the best miniseries I have ever seen.  In fact I'd even go out on a limb and say it's one of the best film-related productions I have ever seen.  I've seen the whole thing about six times.  Every time I finish it I have to resist the urge to go visit an Army recruiter.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
Every time I finish it I have to resist the urge to go visit an Army recruiter.

Ah, yes. The hidden agenda behind the glamorization of war. Not that media producers are being backed, necessarily. But the effect is still the same.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »
Again, scott, I just told you why: I don't like modern war stuff.  If you don't like sci-fi, why would you go watch a movie about aliens?  I mean... right?  I don't see why that's hard to grasp.  I've never had any urge to visit an Army recruiter in my life, and I never will.  War in general is interesting, and I find soldiers as people fascinating much of the time, but this is just another war drama to me, and I just don't care.  It could be the best thing ever filmed and I still wouldn't care.  I might watch it someday, who knows, but it would have to be after a long, long while of not seeing anything similar.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:55:01 PM »
I'm not arguing with you.  You don't want to watch it, that's fine.  I think you are missing out, but I'm not going to sit here and call you a moron or anything.

Consider this though:  I have absolutely no interest in fantasy.  After loving Starcraft, I found Warcraft III dreadful.  My friend drug me out to see Fellowship of the Ring, though, and I loved it.

I think when something is just put together that well, genre is irrelevant.  But like I said, personal opinion and I don't expect you to share it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:57:22 PM »
Well, I won't argue that I wouldn't appreciate the good qualities of it.  I'm sure I'd like it on that level and such, but there are so many wondrous things out there in the world and I have so little time, there's no way I'm spending it on something that I ultimately have very little interest in, you know?  I've heard many great things about this and I believe all of them... it just isn't really something I'm willing to invest the time into.