Author Topic: SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe??  (Read 3434 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe??
« on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
SEGA patents the Dreamcast name, but for new stuff.

Dreamcast 2 coming maybe from SEGA, guys???

We'll see, in due time...

Dreamcast 2 in the works?
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 06/12/2007 - 1:30pm GMT
Wesley Yin-Poole

Trademark application sparks excitement over SEGA re-entry into console market.

SEGA Corporation has filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher is planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

The application, sent to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) dated August 13 2007, relates to:

"Home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs".

Web chatter suggests the proof is in the detail of the application - the original Dreamcast didn't have a floor mat accessory and the Dreamcast's Visual Memory Unit (VMU) is far from the flash memory cards we know and use today - although we'd say that the VMU is pretty similar to the modern day memory cards.

The filing could, of course, simply be a further effort from SEGA to protect the Dreamcast name. According to the USPTO the original Dreamcast trademark is still active. However, the two descriptions are very different. You can see the original trademark description here.

We've contacted SEGA UK for comment. We'll update you on this potentially megaton story as we get it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
I have a feeling all this means is that they're maybe producing a cheaper repackaged version of the DC.  The success of the Wii proves you don't need cutting-edge technology to sell consoles, and that price is a huge factor (surprise).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
How awesome would that be if the DC made a comeback? With Live Arcade/WiiWare style downloads of the original library.

Rerelease the DC on 9/9/09 with 9 pack-in games for $99.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 04:28:34 PM by idolminds »

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
Oh that would be just amazing.  Funny timing, I just installed Phantasy Star Online on my laptop (Blue Burst) and started playing on the cracked server, which actually has more people than the sega servers at times.  I forgot how fucking awesome this game is.  The online play is fucking addicting -- think Diablo.  Dreamcast was way ahead of its time.  My favorite console next to the SNES.

EDIT: If you have a controller and a lot of time to kill, get the PSO:BB download for free from sega's site (350MB maybe?), add one line to a file in notepad, and you're online.  I remember getting this going once before on the AOG boards with a few of you (anyone remember ErickH2?  Where did he go?), so if you want to play I can give a better rundown.  It's free and awesome.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
I might be a bit cynical here, but it seems everytime there is an awesome piece of news like this it ends up being something pretty lame, like DVD players that can play old dreamcast games. 

That said, if there is any kind of new release, I'd be all over it.  SEGA represent!

And I think I might get all over that PSO: BB thing.  I never did really play the original game.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »
http://www.schtserv.com/connect-psobb.php

There's the guide to do everything.  6 steps that'll take maybe 10 minutes, with the download link as well.  I've been playing on my 360 controller, which is about the closest thing to the original Dreamcast controller it feels nearly 100% identical, except Blue Burst has two more episodes than the DC one.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe??
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »
ErickH2 stopped hanging out with us because of our PC-centrism.  It seemed to rub him the wrong way.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: SEGA Applies for new Patent for DREAMCAST -- Dreamcast 2 in the works maybe??
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
It's 498.7 mb. I'm downloading but this large of a file will take some time.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
Done, installed and played for maybe 15 min.  Everyone was typing in Japanese, so that kind of sucked, but I managed to stumble around enough to somehow get to Forest 1.  Now, I'm RaMerl or something (human male ranger) and I have a pistol. I run through some kind of laser wall and get attacked by three alien bear things.  Cool.  I kill them.  Then three more come at me, but they're the upgraded time.  I fight them for like ten min, but I'm doing 1-3 damage each shot, and I don't even kill one. 

Can you just not play this with one person at all, or am I totally missing something?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:26:45 PM »
PSO is one of my favourite games man! I never played Blue Burst though, just original PSO and PSU (Phantasy Star Universe).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:32:07 PM »
ErickH2 stopped hanging out with us because of our PC-centrism.  It seemed to rub him the wrong way.

Where'd that come from in this thread?

Also I don't think it was just that. I think it may have been more about taking the cynicism Every time he talking about enjoying Halo or COD or something, he was met with negative comments that would drown any positive thoughts. It might have been the same thing with Xero. While the rest of us are used to it, it is probably tougher on the newbies. My cousin used to post here as well. He is more of a console guy, and said he was almost afraid to post about his likes because of the reaction he would get.

As for a Dreamcast 2, it would be awesome but highly unlikely. I think the market is ripe for another console. While the Wii is selling well, I don't feel the library is strong enough yet. The PS3 has just not been selling well, period. The 360 sold well initially, but Microsoft seems to be really worried about its sales. I think there may be another price drop coming.

When the Dreamcast failed, they said they just didn't have enough funding to keep up. It is a slight possibility that the sales of the Wii have triggered some movement for a Dreamcast 2.

But like everyone else said, this is probably just going to be a repackage of the original Dreamcast.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »
I personally feel that there is a good 'console' presence and support on here, especially portable consoles. Though there is some disdain for Halo and the general mainstream and blatant-advertising games. I mean if you feel that no one particularly shares your opinion it shouldn't prevent you from posting. Pug, MyD, and I are the only ones who play NWN2 and the teeny tiny thread still comes up from time to time :D hehe

Either way the point of any board is to give your input and get some kind of feedback.

I remember how exciting it was when the Dreamcast first came out! Good times ;D Pug, remember Phil's Dreamcast? Man we had so much fun back then!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »
You are right, it shouldn't. But we are friends here, and have known each other for years. We are kinda like family in a way, and we all have a great understanding with each other and stuff. But yea, newbies have a tougher time of it. '

And Xessive, we had great times on the Dreamcast. Those Soul Calibur nights were awesome. :)

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 12:45:34 AM »
Turns out Sega was just protecting the trademark.  They have no plans on re-entering the console side of things.  That's the official word from Sega.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 06:52:39 AM »
If you want to play a little later tonight, I can help you out in PSO.  I have two level 33 characters after about a week of playing (non stop, that is).  Once you get a little higher it's a blast.

EDIT: There are a lot of people speaking different languages on there, but make sure to select "Horizon" as your ship (it's always the one with the most players).  Also, when you're joining a game from the lobby, look at the people playing -- next to their names there will be a letter like "E," or "J," although sometimes the "English" players will be speaking Spanish.  A slight annoyance, but there are still a good amount of people you'll have fun playing with.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I can't play tonight.  When booty calls, right?  Anyways, if anyone wants to play, I'm fucking addicted to the game at the moment, so I'll be playing like every day.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 07, 2007, 04:01:08 PM by poomcgoo »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 12:16:30 PM »

I have no reservations about saying that it has rubbed me the wrong way at times.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 01:14:49 PM »
Saying we're PC-centric is kind of bullshit, though.  There are definitely PC gamers here, but for lots of us that's just another facet of our hobby.  I own tons of consoles (ranging from the SNES to the Saturn to the 360) and many of my favorite games have been on a console.   I'd even venture to say some of the most artistic and beautiful games ever made have been on consoles.  But if I think something is crap, I'm going to call it crap regardless of the platform or whether or not somebody happens to disagree with me.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone else the same right, whether it jives with my own view or not.  As long as there aren't flame wars and people aren't getting into personal territory insulting each other, it's all fair game in my book.

That said, I know how oppressive an environment can feel when a lot of people feel one way or another.  I was more or less driven off of the Witcher's forums for a while due to all the anti-Oblivion sentiment which was so prevalent.  I love both games (I even call the Witcher my GOTY for heaven's sake), but the rabid anger against TES and Bethesda over there got to me after a while.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
I can see where people are coming from here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 05:13:47 PM »
I've looked at life from both sides nooooow! lalaaa . . . er, sorry.

Rubbing the wrong way is too strong a way to put it.  It's more like being out of sync with what's happening.  I do feel a bit left out now that PC gaming is out of reach.  It's not the sort of thing that would make me leave or anything.  It's more like a lack of ability to participate in some heavy discussions over major PC events.  I want to, but I'm out of the loop.  Maybe Eric just couldn't handle it.  I can.

I know it has nothing to do with bias against any specific platforms, or anything intentional at all.

Edit:  But then again . . .   :-\

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/?om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;1

I voted for Crysis.... as if it matters, but I found the results so far to be interesting:

1. Unreal Tournment 3 15%
2. Crysis 14%
3. Call of Duty 4 12%
4. Supermario Galaxy 10%
5. Halo 2 9%
6. Bioshock 8%
7. Assassin's Creed 8%
8. Mass Effect 7%

So the top two games are PC exclusive? Yay. :)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »
I honestly think its because since we're such a small community, and our tastes have become more paralleled that not all games gleam as bright here as do other places. Its not so much we're PC centric, its that opinions here can overwhelm and blur out some games from the radar. The immediate games that come to mind are Halo 3, Orange Box, and Hellgate: London.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
Pyro makes a good point.  Although thinking about it... the OBox probably has more copies going around the boards right now than Assassin's CreedHalo is pretty polarizing in general, so I'm not sure on that one (and there are people here who dig it), but Hellgate definitely didn't get any favors from this community.  I think in part this can happen because there are certain things that a lot of us aren't willing to up with.  Hellgate, for instance, sort of ran into an awful lot of them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 11:33:44 PM »
To be fair... Hellgate has develope a lot of hate. I visit the PCG, Anandtech, and the PA forums, and the majority of people seem disappointed in the game. I am not just saying that because I disliked it, but rather because I find that to be the truth. People don't like Hellgate.

There are plenty of games I was disappointed with, that I can easily see had large followings. Something like Hellgate seems to be disliked a bit.

I personally don't dislike the game, though I am just disappointed with it. I actually have bought it, but am waiting for some patches.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
I'm sure I'll pick up Hellgate -- y'know, when it's cheap enough (like say $19.99 cheap) AND/OR when there's enough bug-stomping, performance-enhancing patches behind it.

Seriously though -- that game sounds like it should've never been released in the state it is in, currently. It  still sounds like its in Beta, for crying out loud! :P

Of course, I really wish they didn't have that subscriber-MMO portion. Some of the stuff's goofy (like extra inventory slots).

Though, it's nice they're giving you new content per month and special events for subscribing. But really, wouldn't it be easier for them just to pump out some new DLC stuff for the gamers to purchase online-to-download and also on retail-discs like say Oblivion did? Hell, wouldn't it also just be easier to sell gamers a big-ass expansion pack later, if they want to pump out lots of new content???