Author Topic: EA plans to cut down on staff and games due to lackluster sales  (Read 835 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
EA plans to cut down on staff and games due to lackluster sales
« on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Straight from The Shack(news).

Electronic Arts Admits Disappointing Holiday Sales; Looks to Cut Games, Staff
by Chris Faylor Dec 09, 2008 3:21pm CST tags: Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts today announced that "lower than expected sales across North America and Europe" will result in lower-than-expected earnings for its current fiscal year.

The extent of the lowering was not revealed, with the publisher noting that it does not anticipate revealing "updated financial guidance" until the end of FY Q3 in February.

The company stressed that it will continue with recent cost-saving measures, which now include a "reduction of its product portfolio" for the 2010 fiscal year and less staff.

"We are disappointed that our holiday slate is not meeting our sales expectations," said EA CEO John Riccitiello, noting that the company "saw significant improvement in the overall quality of our key products this year" and will remain committed to quality. "We will be launching several new titles and online games in fiscal 2010," he added.

Analyst Colin Sebastian predicted the move yesterday, saying that sluggish sales of Need for Speed Undercover, Mirror's Edge and Rock Band 2 could lead to more cuts.

EA, maybe if you lessened your grip a bit on your DRM (especially for exciting new titles -- i.e. Mass Effect PC, Dead Space PC, Spore, etc.) and didn't produce some of the same ole games over again (i.e. NFS: Undercover PC is really NFS: Most Wanted 2008 Edition, according to most), you guys wouldn't have such a problem trying to move units.

I know PC piracy is always no help b/c people will always bootleg games, but EA, you got to help yourselves out there, too...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: EA plans to cut down on staff and games due to lackluster sales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
If EA actually was committed to publishing quality games, supporting (or cancelling) those that aren't quality, and didn't treat their customers like crooks, maybe they would be fairing better.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: EA plans to cut down on staff and games due to lackluster sales
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
Victory! At least for this battle. The war on EA is not over yet. Not until EA gives up and starts respecting its customers or EA dies. Whichever comes first.