Author Topic: Halo: Reach - Update: Is Halo: Reach DLC coming soon? (9-25-2010)  (Read 3933 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Halo: Reach planned for 2010
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
WTB gameplay footage. Of course, I don't really expect it to be much different from the other Halo games.

I don't know, I've enjoyed the Halo games, but I've never gotten into the backstories a lot, or ever been into the whole love of Master Chief type thing. The games are fun though and I know I'll buy Reach.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 04:13:49 AM »
Halo: Reach - Q&A on IGN.

Q: In the Halo: Reach beta, do you need a key to access it or can everybody who owns ODST play it?

A: No key necessary. If you have the ODST disc, you're good to go.

Q: Is it possible to rent Halo 3: ODST and play in the beta? Can I get in a game with some IGN editors? Friend me?

A: All you need is that disk. But you'll have to have it in the machine to play. And yep, we'll set something up.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 03, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
So the Reach beta officially started today. After some system crashes and hours of downtime, people can finally play.

My first impression? "oh yea I forgot, I don't like Halo MP." I'm sure it's mostly that I haven't really played Halo multiplayer since Halo 1, but I haven't decided yet if I'm willing to take the time to get used to it when there's other online games I could be playing. Also, the game somehow feels dated. It's floaty and everyone walks slow. You can't aim down the sights, though some weapons do have a zoom. You can't sprint unless you pick that armor ability. Also I remember in Halo 1 the biggest draw was the vehicles, and none of what I saw today had any of them. (yes, I know the maps/modes in the beta are limited)

I'll probably give it another try at some point, but right now it's just not fun compared to other games I could be playing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 20, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Halo: Reach
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
Halo: Reach reviews are now rolling in...
Check 1st post in this thread.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Halo: Reach - Update: Reviews beginning to roll in (9-12-2010)
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
my pre-order arrived yesterday and i've put in a few hours. so far, so halo.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
man i wish i still had my 360
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
I've never cared for Halo, and I don't think I ever will. 

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 06:41:32 PM »
So I never did actually end up logging into the beta for a second time, and now the game is out and I'm really not interested. I'm about 15 minutes into the GiantBomb 45 minute quick look, and it's not really making me yearn for the game. Maybe for the single player, but I still haven't finished 3 or ODST.

Halo 1: When I got the first Halo game, it was great. Better FPS than any before on consoles. The split screen was amazing fun. I plowed through the whole single player in 2 sittings on coop and played a shitload of multiplayer.

Halo 2: Preordered the Limited Edition and picked it up at midnight, but I quickly lost steam on both the single player and multiplayer. I played the first couple missions and enough multi to be familiar with some of the maps.

Halo 3: Bought about a year after it came out, when I got my 360. Played the multi on and off for a week or so and decided to finish Halo 2's campaign first, but didn't manage to do it.

ODST: In anticipation of ODST, I played through all of Halo 2's campaign. That was enough Halo for me, and I barely touched the campaign or multiplayer for ODST.

So now that Reach is out, I still don't feel like I need more Halo yet. I wanted to be excited about Reach, but the core gameplay just doesn't grab me enough. I'm compelled to finish the others in the series first, but then I get my fill quickly. So every time I decide to play a Halo game, I'm playing one from 2-3 years ago and it seems dated in visuals and gameplay. Though maybe that's just Halo: dated. I mean, Reach moves so slow, and instead of letting you sprint, you need a powerup first. Enemies are bullet sponges, so your guns just feel really ineffective. Also I guess it doesn't help when the main character has no face so you can't relate to him.

I guess I like the idea of Halo a lot more than the actual thing.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Halo: Reach - Update: MORE Reviews rolling in (9-13-2010)
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
completed the campaign - it's good. on the whole, i think it's my favourite one of the bunch. saying that, it's still very much a halo game - if you don't like halo, there's no way this is going to change your mind.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Halo: Reach - Update: MORE Reviews rolling in (9-14-2010)
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 06:22:06 AM »
I picked it up yesterday and played through the majority of it, still got a little bit more to go. It's pretty fantastic, I think its the most refined campaign they have put out. The repetitious level design is pretty much gone, the vehicle driving sections still feel very good, weapons feel great and responsive. Like Beo said, if you don't like Halo then theres nothing to see here, but if your a fan of the franchise and interested in playing more, this is a must buy. I plan on diving into some multiplayer after I finish off the campaign. We should get some games in Beo.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
yeah, sure thing - i'm playing pretty much constantly at the moment. something that really is pulling me into the multiplayer is the credit system. i'm becoming quite obsessed with getting all the best bits of armour before anyone else. i'm currently warrant officer grade 2, which is the highest i've seen so far. in fact the only reason i'm not playing right now is because my hand has started cramping up.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »
if you don't like halo, there's no way this is going to change your mind.

Even though everyone is saying that, I still want to play. Stupid marketing, and peer pressure!

I'm really not a fan of the first few games. I was just extremely bored with all of them...

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
Even though everyone is saying that, I still want to play. Stupid marketing, and peer pressure!

I'm really not a fan of the first few games. I was just extremely bored with all of them...

i'm a sucker for playing whatever my friends are, and the multiplayer has a massive, jizz-soaked, fuckton of game to offer. if you like console fps in the multiplayer variety and you know people who have this game, then i think the price of entry is valid. single player also = best yet (plus opportunity for co-op).

still halo, mind. you didn't like halo before... well try at your own risk.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
What I realized when I played the beta was that I just don't care for the pacing and general mechanics of Halo. Everything slow and deliberate, which I guess I just don't care for. If feels like you really need to have the right weapons, or if your enemy does he will wreck you even if you get the drop on him, because of how much it takes to deplete someone's shields AND health. In contrast, you can use a weak gun in CoD and kill someone that you catch off guard, because a bullet is still a bullet, and will fuck you up. (not that CoD is the perfect multiplayer FPS, but it's somethign I prefer to Halo)

If the basic combat and pacing were something I liked, I would jizz all over Reach and it's options. I could play around with forge mode for eternity.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
I can't wait to make a 4 wheeler jump track in forge.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
I like that you are still organizing your threads D. Keep it up.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »
Last night I finished playing through the campaign a second time, very rarely does a game give me the incentive for repeated play throughs, and I'm actually thinking of going through it again on legendary... maybe. But yea, this is definitely the most fun I've had playing through a halo game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Halo: Reach
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »
I just passed the space fighter sequence.  So far I'm enjoying the campaign immensely.  The set pieces are nice, and the environment feels natural.  The fights are typical Halo, which depending on how you feel about it is good or bad.  I can definitely see the influence Modern Warfare has on the campaign. 

I have no idea how close I am to finishing the campaign, but I'll definitely play through it again.  The challenges and other incentives are a nice tough to keep you playing as well.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Halo: Reach - Update: Is Halo: Reach DLC coming soon? (9-25-2010)
« Reply #21 on: Monday, September 27, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »
I finished up the campaign yesterday.  Enjoyed it pretty much throughout.  No real lulls in the experience the whole way through.  Probably one of the better (if not best) campaigns purely from an action standpoint, but the story I felt left a bit to be desired.  I mean it's always difficult to craft a story with a good hook when you know ahead of time how it's going to end, but I felt like they could have explored Noble Team a little more intimately through the game.  Finishing the game made me want to go play the original Halo instantly, so they did a good job in that regard.  Like it or not, this series has been one of the defining games in the console arena for a decade.  Hopefully 343 studios will take the reigns and continue to deliver and exceed expectations.  But I still hate to see Bungie move on.  Although 343 is made up of a lot of the Bungie team that didn't want to move on, so we'll see.

That said, I'm now in forge creating a dodgeball arena.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »
So I started my legendary play through last night. I'm actually doing much better than I thought I would. I was worried it was going to be impossible from the get go but I made it through the first chapter with only a handful of deaths. My loadout for nearly every situation is the plasma pistol, combat rifle. Once you get the technique down to kill an elite in 2 shots the game becomes much more manageable. The really challenging parts are the driving sequences. It's hard because you don't have as much control over alot of stuff, your depending on your AI mate to shoot everything and the covenant vehicles can have uncanny accuracy on you. I'm about 4 chapters in now and I'm at the covenant cruiser area so I have alot of elites to kill. Also one thing is apparent from every play through I've done, fuck those goddamn shade turrets.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 01:32:51 AM »
Well I fucking did it. There was cursing, and yelling, and a controller thrown at one point but I persevered. I think chapters 6 and 7 were the most difficult and those last couple fights on the final chapter. And goddamn... those brutes get a lot harder this time around. They are more prone to throwing grenades and they aren't scared to charge.

Definitely the most difficult parts involved me running out of ammo for the DMR. Without it, I feel so gimped, especially facing a handful of elites. The hunters were a little bit of a trouble but not as bad as I was worrying them to be. They don't pop up in any more additional situations than they did on heroic and there was one point where I was facing 4, but I ended up taking out 2 and going by the rest.

Well I defeated all that the game can throw at me campaign wise... for some reason though I have no interest to play multiplayer, I thought I would but the campaign was just so entertaining and addictive I just kept throwing myself back at it, I mean played through it 3 times in a row, I have never done that with any game ever, not even the previous Halos. I beat Halo 3 a couple times but not in succession like this. I think I can say I got my monies worth out of it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 06:39:59 AM »
We need to hook up and play through the campaign on co-op