Author Topic: Doom 2 multiplayer is very fun  (Read 1931 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Doom 2 multiplayer is very fun
« on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
I played some tonight, both DM and co-op using ZDaemon. I highly enjoyed this activity.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Doom 2 multiplayer is very fun
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:24:06 AM »
Indeed.  I used to live on the stuff before Quake.  DWANGO was my best friend.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
Funny thing is tonight was the first time I played Doom online. It was already all about Quake by the time I started getting into multiplayer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:59:28 AM »
Also, to clarify for those not as old as I am or who didn't once love DOS like it was their own child, DWANGO was not some weird foreign kid.  It was the program you used to play Doom with buddies back in the day.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 08:01:39 AM »
Funny thing is tonight was the first time I played Doom online. It was already all about Quake by the time I started getting into multiplayer.
I didn't even have a mouse when Quake came out, much less any sort of of network connection.  Not even a dial-up modem.  Well the computer had one, but we didn't use it for anything (and at 2400 bps, what would it have been good for anyway?).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »
Well I didnt have an internet connection until after Quake 2 came out, and didnt have a PC capable of playing even Quake 1 until Quake 3 came out (I know because when I bought it the big deal was the GeForce and 32-bit color). Though I did play Q2 online a lot before then on my dads work laptop.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
I never really bothered with multiplayer in Doom and Doom 2 until the Quake days, and I did a few modem games with a nearby friend. It was back when you set it up so that one person's PC dialed and the other waited for a ring. I played a shit ton of Duke Nukem 3D that way, as well as Warcraft 2.

I bought Quake hen it came out, and my PC didn't play it well at all. Same with Diablo. I got disheartened and sold my PC for $500 and bought a car with the money. I ended up getting Diablo for PSX haha, and I've still never beat Quake 1. (though I had it for N64 at one point)

I think my first gaming over the actual internet wasn't until Diablo II. Well, it was the first one I played a lot of online. Thinking that far back I can't remember what other games were already out, but I do remember using Gamespy way back in the day.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Starcraft was the first online game I ever played and Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the first FPS I played online.  I did play Duke Nukem 3D on the ice company's corporate LAN (3 networked computers at the time) before I played anything on the Internet, but even when I did that it was well after Quake had come out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
I played Doom over DWANGO on my 14.4 modem for a bit.  It was good times.  Quake was really my first long-lasting experience online, though, and it was only extended with all the mods and stuff that came out.  So many wonderful hours.  I remember them fondly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
My first multiplayer game over a network was Doom in '94, followed quickly by Doom II.  The guys at work lived for those.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
So did everyone.  Man, those were the golden years of time wasting.  Doom through to the original Half-life.  Computer labs went from useful to AWESOME and productivity dropped to an all-time low.