Author Topic: NFS: Carbon  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
NFS: Carbon
« on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 01:36:25 AM »
Just started this a bit. Aside from a few changes it is standard NFS stuff. The graphics are really impressive, but I have a feeling I will ditch this after a while like all the new gen. NFS games I've played. Still doesn't hold a candle to Midnight Club II.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: NFS: Carbon
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 03:55:23 AM »
Yeah, visually it's one of the most impressive racing games. It's a step up from Most Wanted, but it ends up being the same old, repetitive, and monotonous "next gen" NFS games. I miss High Stakes.. Honestly I'd be completely satisfied if they just took High Stakes exactly as it is and gave it a graphical make-over, and perhaps add in the car customization options of Carbon.

I don't know why Midnight Club III never made it to PC.. This one actually had real car brands in it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 07:35:49 AM »
No interest in it at all.  I think my racing game days are officially over.  Used to do a lot of that, but I really just don't anymore, especially with every game trying to be fucking Fast and the Furious rice rocket shit.  I get enough of those fucking people in real life.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:03:17 AM »
Funny that your favorite is High Stakes, X... it's not one of the more popular NFS games.  I always thought I was alone in liking High Stakes, because it's probably my favorite too.

Although, I really loved NFS: MW.  I just loved the driving mechanics in that game -- pulling a speedbreaker around a turn and hitting the nitrous to straighten out made it fun to take every turn.  Carbon is pretty cool too, but after trying the demo on 360, it feels slower than MW.  Maybe it's the demo, or the xbox version, but the lambo I tried in the demo didn't seem to be going nearly as fast as anything in MW.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »
PoomC I am pretty sure that Hot Pursuit and High Stakes were the most popular NFS among critics right? While the new gen of NFS games have broken all sorts of sales records, those two were my favorites.

In fact I remember loving NFS3 as well. That was a huge step up from NFS1 and 2.

For me the worst was NFS: Porsche Unleashed. What made less sense was how PCG gave it 95% yet every gamer thought it was really really boring.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
Let me see if I can them in order of release from memory:

Need for Speed 1 (Was an instant hit among gamers after a poor diet of the horrible Lotus 123 games.)
Need for Speed 2 (Much better graphics, licensing and better gameplay)
Need for Speed 3 (A big step up in terms of visuals and a revolutionary game at the time)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (I felt the best Need for Speed game ever. The cop chases were revolutionary.)
Need for Speed: High Stakes.(Basically like NFS:HP, but with your care up for grabs. You could lose hours of progress after one loss.)
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. (PCG loved it, but I hated it. Was boring and started you from the 50s! WTF? Innovative though.)
Need for Speed: Online (Massive disappointment after finally coming out. Also EA introduced some money grabbing crap that was scary.)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (Let you be the cop. How cool is that? But the physics were a lot worse)
Need for Speed: Underground (First come back after a long haitus. Was flashy and fresh, but the maps, music etc sucked.)
Need for Speed: Underground 2 (For the first time since I can remember EA wasn't bothering with the innovation.)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (A few cosmetic changes etc etc., but the basic copy and reverse the maps for every race remained.)
Need for Speed: Carbon.

You can see a sad trend from this. I'd say the next gen of NFS started with Underground, while the changes they made with NFS:Online showed the evil shit they would try to pull later.

Back in the day Electronic Arts were about innovation as well as style. I remember they were one of my favorite developers. And the music in those games was fantastic. They had hot a soundtrack full of excellent electronica music, that really set the mood for racing in exotic cars on what were some futuristic looking tracks.

It wasn't just the music that was so Euro, and perfect for the exotic cars. The rest of the presentation came off as one really special episode of Top Gear . There was a whole museum section where you could explore the insides of the car as a voice over told you all the juicy details regarding speed, power etc. The camera angles weren't just restricted to the outside, but you could drive from the inside checking out all sorts of bits including the steering wheel and speedometer.

One of the coolest fucking thing was how they'd get a few concept cars from the leading desingers in the world. Some cars that weren't even sold were in the game to every intricate detail.

What I really miss was having split screen racing in the PC NFS games. Why the hell did they remove those options? Also for old times sake some of you should download Romulus's NFS title track.

Unfortunately people are idiots and would rather have something trashy than sophisticated. I knew the ugly truth when I was greeted with crappy hip hop music in  NFS:Underground, and presentation that looked like it went from James Bond to the hero of xXx.

edit:

Well this thread inspired me to hit wiki and this is rather interesting and a nice reminder of the history of the series:

linky

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit added Hot Pursuit mode, in which the player either attempted to outrun the police or be the cop (playing as the police was only available in the PC version), arresting speeders. It is the highest-selling of all Need for Speed games and is the most popular one.[verification needed]

NFS III took advantage of the multimedia capabilities of the CD-ROM by featuring audio commentary, picture slideshows and music videos. This game also is the first in the series to allow the downloading of additional cars from the official website. As a result, modding communities have sprung up to create more vehicles which would otherwise be unavailable to the game.

There you go, that's the multimedia stuff I was talking about. Interesting that it is the best selling NFS game, which is especially amazing when you consider that it hadn't hit consoles. Maybe people aren't such idiots after all, and it is only Electronic Arts.

edit 2:

Faithful reproduction of the insides of exotic cars:

edit 3:

LOL I was looking for a torrent for the old school NFS music and the most popular one is called "Need for Speed music 1-5: When the music was actually good."

Man I would kill for an old school NFS game with the kick ass music and representation worthy of a BBC car magazine. I almost feel like loading up an old NFS game on Win Me heh.

The thread inspired me to listen to an old NFS title track and my sister came into my room and said,"Hey that's from need for speed!". Anyway I've uploaded a track so you all can listen.

Xessive probably has this, it is by Romelus. I know it isn't the most mind blowing thing ever, but is better than the trash we have to put up with now.

Shit I've go no where to host an mp3. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: Friday, December 08, 2006, 09:43:32 AM by Pugnate »

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »
Huh, maybe you're right.  I always knew Hot Pursuit was huge, but I don't remember High Stakes being huge, which I thought was much better. 

And yeah, Porsche Unleashed was terrible.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »
You were right PoomC. Checked out some reviews and High Stakes was criticized for being too much like its predecessor, though it was considered good.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »
No interest in it at all.  I think my racing game days are officially over.  Used to do a lot of that, but I really just don't anymore, especially with every game trying to be fucking Fast and the Furious rice rocket shit.  I get enough of those fucking people in real life.

Same here.  The last Need for Speed game I remember enjoying was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, the cop chases were awesome.  The last racing game I really enjoyed was Burnout 3 though.  I remember a couple of the Test Drive games being somewhat fun, especially racing through San Fransisco.  I lost interest in Gran Turismo after the 2nd one.  Racing games aren't nearly as fun single player as they are multi player and its probably one of the main reasons I don't play them anymore besides the fact that all the game are cookie cutter Japanese turbo drift Fast and the Furious ugly car racing now.  Carbon does look pretty though on the 360 and PS3.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:26:01 PM »
NFS3: Hot Pursuit was amazing. I loved it when it came out, and the multiplayer was so much fun. High Stakes quickly won me over because it kept everything I loved about NFS3:HP and added a few more great features: comprehensive damage system, repairing your car, more cars, more tracks (varied as well), and a reason to care about how you drive! It basically improved on NFS3.

Porsche Unleashed had the potential to be great, but it was pretty damn boring. I'm not a huge fan of Porsche, and I didn't think enough people were for them to go ahead and make an entire game around Porsche. The good part was that it maintained some of the better traits of High Stakes.

Oddly NFS5:PU won't run on my system any more, but NFS4:HS runs like a dream (I found a Direct3D patch for it, and I can set a high resolution).

In my mind I mark the decline of the NFS franchise with NFS6: Hot Pursuit 2. That's when EA gave the project to a newly acquired studio in Vancouver, now called EA BlackBox. While NFS6:HP2 was more visually appealing than its predecessors, it was utter shite. They basically took NFS3:HP (according to EA's stats it was the most popular NFS) and stripped it of every feature that made it great. To top it off the game was practically a bugs' nest. It ran aceptably for the first week, then I have no idea why, but the game just stopped running after a while. Mid-game or in the menus, it would just randomly crash to desktop. Several other people experienced this problem, and the only patch that was ever released was some beta patch that didn't even fix it.. Then EA stopped supporting it, and all us NFS fans were ripped off big time. And that's when I announced EA as my game-industry enemy.

Also, that was the same year EA gave he FIFA project to the very same studio, and they fudged that franchise up too. Their first release was FIFA 2003.

So in conclusion:
Last great NFS games: NFS 3 Hot Pursuit & NFS 4 High Stakes
Last great FIFA games: FIFA 2002 & FIFA World Cup 2002

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:32:25 PM »
hahaha I like how you ended up with Fifa. :D

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 02:45:16 PM »
Need for Speed 3 (A big step up in terms of visuals and a revolutionary game at the time)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (I felt the best Need for Speed game ever. The cop chases were revolutionary.)

NFS3 was hot pursuit. NFS3: Hot Pursuit, not two separate games. You could play as the cop in this one too, but I think that was only in multiplayer.

My favourite of the series is either Hot Pursuit or High Stakes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 03:46:14 PM »
Yea my bad.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
So what's the verdict on Carbon?  Did you get the feeling that everything was slower than Most Wanted, or am I crazy?  I played MW on PC, and you could get going pretty fucking fast in that game, and it felt like it.  The 360 demo of Carbon said I was going 140 at times and it felt like 50 tops.  I hope it's not really like that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »
I like Carbon more than MW so far because of a couple of slight innovations, including the buddy system. He was pretty annoying at first, but it ads just a wee bit of strategy. Some of the tracks going downhill where you can fall off are pretty cool, and the boss challenge where you take turns chasing each other are pretty cool.

Yea I'd say this is the most innovation we've had in a next gen NFS game. And there is no crappy music, thank goodness.

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, December 14, 2006, 02:02:25 PM »
I've been playing Need For Speed: Carbon for about an hour now and so far I despise it.

The good:
- It's not all rice wagons anymore, has quite a few good supercars (Koenigsegg, Zonda, DB9, Murcielago, and a lot more)

The bad:
- Horribly unrealistic handling
- Night-time only
- You're in a city the whole time! Lamborghinis are to be driven on twisty mountain paths, not straight intersections and freeways!
- You have to make a "crew" and keep control of your "turf". Give me a break. Furthermore, I have a hard time believing real gangs can afford to street race $1,000,000 vehicles.
- "Wingman" feature. In races the AI controls a "friendly" car that basically just keeps talking to you over the radio. "You're the best! Keep it up!". Occasionally you can get him to ram into opponents, but not very often. Highly annoying.
- Still way too much emphasis on "modding" your vehicle. I couldn't care less about unlocking new "rims" or "decals".

If EA returns to their roots and release a Need For Speed: Europe (or similar), I'm there, but as long as they keep milking this underground street racing shit I'm having none of it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 14, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
Oh yeah the cheesy "Rule the city by racing" concept was always retarded to me.

The dumbass Wingmen got in my way more than anything. I had trouble crashing into them coz they have a tendency to slam the breaks when they're right in front of me!

I definitely thought that Carbon was better than Most Wanted, but that doesn't mean it's great. MW was pathetic, which means Carbon sits just under satisfactory.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 15, 2006, 08:45:43 PM »
Sbaitso more or less describes the very reasons I want no part of the franchise.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 11, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »
I like Carbon more than MW so far because of a couple of slight innovations, including the buddy system. He was pretty annoying at first, but it ads just a wee bit of strategy. Some of the tracks going downhill where you can fall off are pretty cool, and the boss challenge where you take turns chasing each other are pretty cool.

Yea I'd say this is the most innovation we've had in a next gen NFS game. And there is no crappy music, thank goodness.

I started playing this NFS: Carbon PC last night, since I'm kinda tired of NFS: MW (Single Player Component), since it does get very repetitive after a while namely w/ doing the same "Challenges" that are just tougher next time around; not the Boss Battles. Those Boss Battles rule.

So far, I like NFS: Carbon a lot. I hope it doesn't get repetitive after a while on me, like NFS: MW eventually did.

I wish there was a MP3 Station in Carbon -- or some way I could import some of the music from NFS: MW into NFS: Carbon, heh.

I like the Gary Numan and Lady Sovereign songs in Carbon.

About NFS 3: Hot Pursuit -- got that on the original Playstation. It was pretty good, in its hey-day.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 11, 2008, 04:22:32 PM »

I like the Gary Numan and Lady Sovereign songs in Carbon.

What the fuck has gotten into you?  Check yourself.