Author Topic: Dark Sector thread  (Read 3876 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Dark Sector thread
« on: Thursday, March 27, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »
Reviews have been fairly positive, nothing really eye catching but supposedly a solid action title. From the reviews Ive seen its main weakpoints are its story and multiplayer, so it sounds like another Lost Planet, which translates to a rental. Which is exactly what I'm doing. I just picked up from the rental place. I got a call from UPS saying my 360 is coming in tomorrow so I'll be able to put some time into this over the weekend.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Dark Sector thread
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 04:46:57 AM »
Heh.  Lost Planet has been expanded and priced at $30.  It's a much better deal now, for those of us who passed on it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 28, 2008, 05:44:59 AM »
I wonder if Dark Sector will make it to the PC. I've enjoyed DE's previous games, it's be nice to see this one make it too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 30, 2008, 09:16:30 AM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 30, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
Well I finished it. All in all its actually a really fun action title, but I definitely dont think its worth 60 clams, it would be worth it after a price drop. It's an all around well made game, and the glaive mechanics is really what makes it worth a look, however other than that, Dark Sector borrows from a lot of other big action titles that have been released. Practically almost everything in the game reminded me of one action title or another. The cover and fire gameplay and some of the environments feel like they are pulled right out of Gears of War, theres a black market merchant where you can make upgrades and purchase guns just like in RE4. You can perform finishing moves that are reminiscent of Assassin's Creed, and the mutated freaks you fight look very much like the flood in Halo. But not to say that any of this is bad, all these little borrowed gameplay mechanics do work well together and in the end you catch yourself getting giddy as you decapitate, electrocute, and set victims a flame with your bladed boomerang of doom.

But like I said, the glaive weapon is the only thing that really sets it apart well enough from the other big action games. There are various little puzzles you'll run into that require you to use elements of the environment to get by. Cooling off fires, opening doors by surging control panels with electrical currents, and setting things on fire to progress on. I kinda wish they took some things with the glaive a little farther, but the abilities you get freshen things up enough to get by.

The difficulty felt just right, there was no option to set it but they seemed to nail it on it as nothing is too easy or too hard. I did have a lot of trouble with one of the boss fights but its not that it was cheap, I just had a hard time figuring it out and it ended up being easier than I thought it to be. After you beat it, there is a brutal difficulty mode that is unlocked but I feel like I've gotten my satisfaction out of the game for now.

As for the story, yes, just like other reviews have mentioned, its rather poor. Nothing is really explained, you don't know who your really fighting or why but the cutscenes try to make themselves really dramatic like they are trying really hard to make you care, but it fails. A nice intro into the world giving a descriptive background would have worked, but all you really get out of it as that theres some alien disease, hell I dont know if its even alien, its just bad and your character gets it, but it makes you a killing machine which is awesome and thats all you really need to know. At least the cutscenes you do watch are pretty short.

In the end its like how I expected it to be, I had a lot of fun, but its rather short lived, and theres no real incentive to go back to it since theres nothing to go back to it for. There's no bonuses to collect or secret objectives, its all straightforward. The multiplayer I have no real interest in as they pit teams against each other where one player is uber strong for each team. I hate those types of games.

I recommend checking out gametrailer's review of it as I felt its pretty spot on to how I felt about it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 30, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the lowdown.  I was curious about it, but not curious enough to go try it out yet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 02:11:30 PM »
PC version due out March 23rd, 2009.
It'll retail on the PC for $19.99

US Dark Sector PC This Month Confirmed

[Mar 12, 2009, 2:37 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
Aspyr offers the expected announcement that a Windows version of Dark Sector will be released in the US on March 23. Contrary to recent announcement of a European edition of the game ported by original developer Digital Extremes, this announcement says the port is by Noviy Disk, suggesting this relates to the recently released Russian edition:

AUSTIN, TEXAS – March 12, 2009 – Aspyr Media has partnered with leading Russian publisher and distributor Noviy Disk to become the publisher of Dark Sector® for PC in North America. Dark Sector for PC will land on store shelves on March 23 with improved graphics and a streamlined interface that allows for easy mouse and keyboard control.

Dark Sector is a stunning third-person action title that introduces gamers to an original, action-filled story and places them in the role of deadly covert operative Hayden Tenno. Sent on a dangerous mission to a mysterious Eastern European city, Hayden becomes infected by a viral bio-weapon that grants him superhuman powers. Included in his new, otherworldly arsenal is the bladed glaive, a fierce weapon that can be thrown to cut down foes with vicious accuracy. As the game progresses, players will witness Hayden’s ongoing transformation as he evolves with his new powers and becomes even more lethal.

Originally created by acclaimed developer Digital Extremes, co-creators behind Epic Game’s award-winning Unreal® franchise, Dark Sector was released last year on next-gen consoles by D3Publisher. Dark Sector has been optimized for the PC by Noviy Disk. The game is rated M for Mature by the ESRB and will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.99.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
I was interested in this when it was first announced for the PS3.. I generally like Digital Extremes' work.

I don't really know how interested I am in this now, a year later. Even though it's quicker than the wait for Geats of War was.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
And at $20?  I imagine anyone who paid $60 would be a little miffed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 13, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »
And at $20?  I imagine anyone who paid $60 would be a little miffed.
Yeah.. Well, assuming they originally wanted to get it for PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »
Dark Sector PC review from IGN.
7.7 from IGN

Huh, that's their PS3 review! They keep talking about "Aftertouch" and I'm thinking that's a SIXAXIS feature not keyboard+mouse! After that point it goes into more PC relevant details.

Oddly, it doesn't store your chosen resolution on the PC, so be prepared to go into the options every time you start the game up.
Ok, so that's what we call a bug. People complained about things like that happening back in the days of DOS, why would it be acceptable now?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 04:00:02 PM »
So basically, they edited their PS3 review and added some small PC version talk to it?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
So basically, they edited their PS3 review and added some small PC version talk to it?
It looks like it. It makes sense, I mean it's practically the same game. But they could have at least edited it for PC though:

You'll come around a corner, spot an enemy, hold L2 to switch to the over-the-shoulder aiming view, and be faced with a choice -- to glaive or not to glaive. You can pop the bad guy in the head by pulling the trigger with R2, but you can also tap R1 to throw your glaive and behead the baddie. It can take out multiple opponents, it can open doors, and it pretty much makes the game.

Since we don't have L2, R2, and R1 buttons they could have at least replaced them with the PC control scheme equivalents.

In the PS3 demo I remember when you use the glaive and you do the Aftertouch you control it with the SIXAXIS movement, which does take a bit of getting used to. I had the same initial woes with Aftertouch in Heavenly Sword. Getting introduced to this control system is frustrating as fack but once you get the hang of it you start to enjoy it! Alternatively, if you don't have the patience you can control the glaive with the analogue stick.

I think in the PC version it'll be controlled by the mouse. IGN don't even mention anything about it in the review besides using the word "Aftertouch" and "left analogue stick" which don't really apply to PC.

It's a pretty lazily assembled review. At least on Gamespot or Giant Bomb they keep all the same stuff on but they tweak the review per the platform it's for.

I hope to check out the game when it comes out as I do generally like DE's work.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
When I was at Gamestop, they had a used copy for the 360 for 8$, worth looking into for that price.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
When I was at Gamestop, they had a used copy for the 360 for 8$, worth looking into for that price.
Wow, that's a heck of a deal!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 19, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
I just picked it up for PS3 the other day, used, for like 6 bucks or something nutty.  I haven't tried it yet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 05:03:52 AM »
I just picked it up for PS3 the other day, used, for like 6 bucks or something nutty.  I haven't tried it yet.

Cool, Que.
When you do decide to play it, I'd like to hear your impressions on it. :)