Author Topic: Devil May Cry 4 PC -- Update: Capcom USA complains of DMC4 PC piracy  (Read 3327 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Devil May Cry 4 PC -- Update: Capcom USA complains of DMC4 PC piracy
« on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
Yup, DMC4 is going to be PC bound and X360 bound....

So much for it being a PS3 Exclusive

Devil May Cry 4 PC & 360 [March 20, 2007, 09:34 am ET] - Viewing Comments

This Capcom Investor Relations Page confirms rumors (story) of an Xbox 360 edition of Devil May Cry 4 while also revealing plans for a PC edition of the sequel, which was previously said to be a PS3 exclusive (thanks Daniel). The page is mostly Japanese, but a translation makes is sound like the 360 version will be released simultaneously with the PS3 edition, and while there is no such promise for the PC edition, it is clearly mentioned as well. Update: The English announcement can be found on Gameplay Monthly.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 01, 2008, 05:26:58 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Devil May Cry 4 planned for PC and X360; no longer a PS3 Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »
Man, that's a huge kick in the balls for Sony.  That was going to be a huge exclusive.  But I'll tell you what, it makes me happy!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
Fuck, I hope Capcom actually does a good porting job to the PC on this....and keeps magical guitars the fuck out.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Haha Sony... take that dick!

The biggest blows would be if MGS4 and the next Final Fantasy came out on the Xbox 360.  Unfortunately neither will ever happen.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 08:14:27 PM »
Or God of War III.  I'd *really* like it if I could get that without a PS3.  Given it's developed by Sony, there's obviously no chance... but hey, I can dream about what it would be like to play the games I want to play without shelling out $600, can't I?

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
Haha Sony... take that dick!

The biggest blows would be if MGS4 and the next Final Fantasy came out on the Xbox 360.  Unfortunately neither will ever happen.

I wouldn't count out MGS4, FF will probably never happen. If you own a Will you might get a spin off title or two, but no ports.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 09:36:59 PM »
Both look more and more likely every day with rumors leaking out and hitting Digg.  Microsoft is apparently actively pursuing both, and in the case of FF it looks like Square is more willing to make the series cross platform now then ever in the past.  I think with the increasing costs of development and the fact that Sony can't guarantee the same kind of user base they could the last two generations it would be a smart choice.

Of course, none of this means anything, but it looks good for people who don't own a ps2.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »
If Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and God of War 3 end up on the 360, that's pretty much it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Fanboys are funny.

To:  Capcom

We (The people that have signed this petition) feel very left out in your decision to make Devil May Cry 4 a Multi-Platform title, and hereby agree to boycott your sale of Capcom affiliated games. This is due to your decision to turn your back on your most faithful gaming company. For years we have enjoyed games, we have reaped the benefits of your committment to Sony. We find it absolutely demoralizing for not only the gamers, but also Sony itself. We want you to know that will not, and should not stand for your actions, and therefore withold our option of buying your product.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
They feel left out now that the game will be on other platforms as well as the PS3? You'd think people couldn't be this stupid.

1412 (as of this post) signatures says you'd be wrong.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
That petition is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  I hope they all get raped by elephants.  Yes, it's becoming a theme with me.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
A.) did a fucking monkey write that first petition?  The last sentence is the best because there's one error that makes it not make any sense, and then if you fix that error in your mind you realise the sentence still doesn't make sense.  That takes skill.

B.) Why is petition online still around?  I thought the world decided it was useless  a few yers ago.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »
Yeah, they did.

I actually find the second petition worse.  It basically says, "We know you have lots of good reasons to move either series to another console, but... we don't want you to.  We won't give you a reason *why*, but we're asking nicely.  Doesn't that count for something?"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »
haha I love fanboys in pain.

To:  Square Enix Co.

We are asking you not to port the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series to Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Though this might be a move for financial strategy or series exposure, it is not necessary since the series in itself is already a renowned multi-million hit worldwide.

More than that, we have our reasons for not being in favor of Xbox360 - some reasonable, some strategic, some financial and some just purely personal.

Regardless of our reasons, having SquareEnix port Final Fantasy and Dragon quest to Xbox360 will surely result to our dismay.

Thank you for hearing us out.

Sincerely,

It is so obvious this was written by a child. Multi-million hit haha.

It basically says, "We know you have lots of good reasons to move either series to another console, but... we don't want you to.  We won't give you a reason *why*, but we're asking nicely.  Doesn't that count for something?

Well you can say that for anyone pissed at PC games moving to consoles. In the end it is all about the money.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »
I think part of the reason PC gamers have a legitimate complaint is they get treated very poorly when games are multiplatform. The games dont take PC niceties into account. Menus and UIs are huge or a pain to navigate. We have mice! Let us click! Consoles have pretty much the same controllers (except the Wii), so theres not much issue there. We have high resolutions, we don't need a health indicator that takes up most of the screen. We also have a whole lot of RAM, so quit it with these dinky levels.

Usually they give the PC the best textures, but the rest of the game makes it obvious they don't care. If they put a little extra work into making the PC port *for* the PC, then multiplatform is fine.

Also PC gamers don't like it when a PC series doesn't go multiplatform...it goes console only. Example: Crimson Skies.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 01:21:07 AM »
Yeah, PC to console is entirely different and is bad for myriad reasons.  Console to console, not nearly so much, especially when you're talking about the 360 and PS3.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 06:59:34 AM »
I think part of the reason PC gamers have a legitimate complaint is they get treated very poorly when games are multiplatform. The games dont take PC niceties into account. Menus and UIs are huge or a pain to navigate. We have mice! Let us click! Consoles have pretty much the same controllers (except the Wii), so theres not much issue there. We have high resolutions, we don't need a health indicator that takes up most of the screen. We also have a whole lot of RAM, so quit it with these dinky levels.

Usually they give the PC the best textures, but the rest of the game makes it obvious they don't care. If they put a little extra work into making the PC port *for* the PC, then multiplatform is fine.

Also PC gamers don't like it when a PC series doesn't go multiplatform...it goes console only. Example: Crimson Skies.

Resolution is soon to stop being an issue anyway.  They still need to account for SDTVs, or the natives revolt.  But HDTV should soon be the norm, and fat fonts will be the ugly concession to legacy, instead of making everyone suffer through low-res design.

Control is another issue, but doesn't it all boil down to what the game was aimed at to begin with?  Sorry if that sounds obvious.  This is the way it's always been.  Playing a console game on a PC is easy because its flexibility and power allow emulation of the console environment and connection of similar control devices.  Emulation doesn't have to mean transforming the PC into the target console.  Playing games officially ported to PC with console controllers is a milder form of emulation. 

But I guess what you're saying is that more games are initially aimed at consoles and then PC-ported.  That's market forces.  Again, maybe obvious, but what can be done about it other than acknowledge it?  I doubt PC-native development will dry up altogether.  It's the only platform that isn't controlled top to bottom by the megacorps.  This is still the only real outlet for unbridled creativity.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »
Resolution: Yes, I know its an issue going away. Hooray!

Control: It shouldn't be an issue since PC can plug controllers in, but somehow it still is. Hopefully now that MS has XInput and the 360 controller for PC that it can stop being an issue. There are many games that have no controller support, and its just mind boggling. Fable and Beyond Good & Evil are 2 that stick out in my mind.

Market forces: Nothing can be done about it. Consoles make the money, so they will be the focus. Cant blame them.

Its a hard thing to put your finger on but they could do more to reduce the "consolitis" feeling most multiplatform/ports have, thats all. Look at GTA3+. You'd never know they were console games originally if no one told you. Thats the way to do it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »
I just hate when a console game comes to PC completely without the scaling features we are used to on a PC.  Rainbow Six: Vegas springs immediately to mind.  Modern games were running ok on my old PC, then suddenly R6V comes over from the 360 and wants a 3.0 Ghz CPU and 1 GB of RAM minimum.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »
Yeah, it makes developers lazy. They just don't do proper ports because it doesn't really matter to them.  PC sales won't be their main sales, and they don't want to invest the manpower into doing the port the right way.  If I were with them, I'd probably feel the same way.  But it still sucks for the consumer.

Also, I disagree with the GTA comment.  GTA3 was a fucking nightmare out of the box.  It worked okay for me, but I read lament after lament about that game not working right.  Vice City and San Andreas were both solid, though.  Except for the sync.  Both fucking games wouldn't sync with the sound during cutscenes for me.  Would have ruined the game if I actually cared about the stories.  Thankfully, I didn't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
Also, I disagree with the GTA comment.  GTA3 was a fucking nightmare out of the box.
For most.

It worked okay for me, but I read lament after lament about that game not working right.
Same here.

I didn't have too many problems w/ it, myself.

Vice City and San Andreas were both solid, though.
Agreed, Que.

Vice City ran better than GTA3 did for me, on the same exact system!
Yet, Vice City had much heftier system requirements printed on the box than GTA3 sure did.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
More info on DMC4 PC Edition.

Capcom announced that the PC version of Devil May Cry 4, the demon-slaying action adventure, is geared up for a summer release (last we heard, it was June 2, '08). They said that the console version shipped over 2 million units worldwide since its launch in Europe.

PC gamers are gonna get a chance to try out a playable demo before the full version hits retail - the demo includes a benchmark mode to test your PC's potential.
Cool.

More than that, Capcom specified that the PC edition of DMC 4 will feature new modes, enhanced visual options and additional content.

Here's some of the stuff that was promised:

Good things come to those who wait as PC owners will benefit from having more modes and more visual customisation options to help enhance their demon-slaying action.

Turbo mode will turn up the action to insane speeds...

...while Legendary Dark Knight Mode will harness advanced PC processing power and fill the screen with an unbelievable number of enemies for extra difficulty.

Moreover, familiar enemies from the console versions will show-up in new locations in the PC version.

The high resolution screen settings allow the cut scenes of the game to run at up to 120 frames per second (up from 30 frames per second in the console version of the game).

Slider options are available to manage various visual effects seen throughout the game.

Devil May Cry 4 for the PC will have both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 modes and will also be compliant with the Games For Windows program.

EDIT:
Here's a lot of DMC4 PC screenies, which were take on this kind of system:
Q6600 2.4GHz, 8800GTX system with the resolution set to 1920x1080 in DirectX 9 mode.

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:28:00 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
Those are some remarkable looking screens.  I'll vouch for the game already being damned beautiful, but that's a touch above.  The most notable thing, however, is that they appear to have fixed the really fucking ugly shadow system they were using.  That alone brings the graphical fidelity well up from what it was.  That's going to be some sexy stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
I just hate when a console game comes to PC completely without the scaling features we are used to on a PC.  Rainbow Six: Vegas springs immediately to mind.
R6: Vegas PC had scaling features. There was a good deal of things you could turn on/off; switch b/t low, medium, and high; even drop the res' to 640x400 if you wanted; etc etc....

It's just that the damn game just ran like junk on most PC's, regardless of what settings you set it ob

Modern games were running ok on my old PC, then suddenly R6V comes over from the 360 and wants a 3.0 Ghz CPU and 1 GB of RAM minimum.
See, that's the REAL problem -- many of the really good console games are being ported quite lazily into our PC market, asking for quite stiff system requirements upon their original release.

I mean, look at the requirements for many of UbiSoft's ports -- GRAW 1 PC, GRAW 2 PC, SC: Double Agent, R6: Vegas, Assassin's Creed; now that's just to name a few. All of their requirements, for their time, were high. Not only that, even on high end systems for time of the game's release, most of these ones didn't run well there even.

Control: It shouldn't be an issue since PC can plug controllers in, but somehow it still is. Hopefully now that MS has XInput and the 360 controller for PC that it can stop being an issue.
The reason it's still an issue is b/c your brand new computer DOESN'T come w/ a X360 For Windows Control Pad. If every brand new computer shipped w/ one of those, this wouldn't be much of an issue really.

When one person buys a X360, it comes w/ that X360 Controller -- and best of all, it'll plug into your brand new PC. So, if you buy a game for the PC that supports and/or reccommends a PC gamepad, now you don't gotta' buy another control for your PC; just plug your X360 gamepad in. One controller to rule them all; you got two birds killed her with one stone. Problem solved.

There are many games that have no controller support, and its just mind boggling. Fable and Beyond Good & Evil are 2 that stick out in my mind.
Look at Res Evil 4 PC -- biggest problem w/ that was if you have no PC gamepad controller, you might as well tossed the game out the freakin' window. If you have the controller, you'd really be doing yourself a favor to play Res Evil 4 PC; it's a damn good game.

About Fable, why it didn't support the control-pad, that's beyond me -- I mean, it was already a console game, so it would make sense to have it support PC gamepad on the PC version of it, just in case the KB/mouse controls weren't that good. But fortunately, the PC KB/mouse controls were good.

Same goes for Two Worlds PC -- why they opted to not support the PC gamepad, especially since it was on the X360 (and that PC's do support X360 Controllers anyways), was way the hell beyond me. But thankfully, the PC KB/mouse controls were fine for Two Worlds PC.

Its a hard thing to put your finger on but they could do more to reduce the "consolitis" feeling most multiplatform/ports have, thats all. Look at GTA3+. You'd never know they were console games originally if no one told you. Thats the way to do it.
Control-wise, GTA3 was great -- whether using a KB/mouse or gamepad, you couldn't go wrong either way. That's how to do a port, control-wise. Me, I use my KB/mouse on foot, while my gamepad for driving.

But, many people had issues galore w/ GTA3 PC. All kinds of bugs, crashes, graphic tears, and other issues out the box. I was lucky enough to not have any. The first GTA3 PC patch pretty much killed most of those issues, anyways.

But, if we're going to talk about GTA: VC PC and GTA: SA, I never had any problems w/ performance issues and framerate issues on either of those two. Hell, I had better performance on GTA: VC on my (now much older) PC than I did w/ GTA3 on that same PC!

Quote from: Idol
When they do all console and PC versions at once, they scares me -- b/c usually, this is when the UI and controls often gets borked; b/c you're trying to make "All versions" happy, instead of specializing the game for a specific platform.

Ultimately, I'd prefer a game to be first on PC, then consoles -- b/c I'm PC-minded like that. :P

Instead of doing the multi-platform for all systems at once, I do *prefer* a game to be released first for consoles so it can letter get a true PC port. That's b/c I want them working on just the PC version alone by itself -- and results have shown, this usually works out best for the PC version of the game b/c the PC version gets all the care and attention it deserves; especially since the game will be made in mind w/ numerous sets of hardware PC owners will have. I mean, just look at all of Bioware's console to PC ports, Fable PC, GTA PC ports, Condemned PC port -- these are prime examples of what I'm talking about.

I'm surprised Oblivion turned out as well as it did, being developed for all platforms at once. And Fallout 3 does worry me b/c BethSoft has already said their primary attention is really on the X360 version. That does worries me. I'm really hoping FO3 PC's system requirements won't be stiff and that the game will actually perform well, as I'm really looking forward to playing this ASAP on the PC.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
So I picked this up today for PC at $39.99 CDN.  I imagine it would be the usual $10 cheaper USD.  I'll let you know how the full version turned out in a little bit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 01, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
Christian Svensson of Capcom USA is complaining that DMC 4 PC has been pirated.

He complains that Capcom Japan (to go along w/ the retail box in store) should've also had a digital version of DMC 4 PC available for gamers to purchase-to-download (from like Steam, Direct2Drive, or whatever), which he thinks is a good avenue to try and sell games over.

Devil May Cry 4 "pirated to hell and back," says Capcom

Capcom in the US has admitted that sales of the PC version of Devil May Cry 4 are suffering due to severe piracy issues.

Writing on the official Capcom forums, vice president of strategic planning Christian Svensson said that the Japanese division has so far not allowed the title to be distributed digitally.

"I'm not sure about how Capcom in general feels but it's not doing as well as I would like in the US at retail," wrote Svensson.

"It's such a good version and it really deserves better sales. I know it's getting pirated to hell and back (it was up on torrents literally the day it shipped)."

"I certainly have pushed for digital distribution on the title but Capcom Japan so far has not allowed it."

Svensson added that all Capcom's US titles for the PC will eventually be distributed digitally, including the forthcoming Bionic Commando remake and new IP Dark Void.

"For the record all Capcom Entertainment developed titles will be distributed extremely widely via digital channels (not just Steam or Direct2Drive, but more than a dozen partners across more than 100 sites/portals for everything we do).

"I've spent the last year building up that channel and I'm continuing to add partners even in advance of Age of Booty, MotoGP, Neopets, Dark Void and Flock shipping," he said.

Svensson also hopes to convince execs in Japan that digital distribution would benefit the company, including titles such as DMC 4 which are developed in the region.

"I have a presentation I'm making shortly that I'm hoping will make that approach something we do with all of our PC content, even those developed in Japan, but no promises. It might not happen."