Author Topic: Games with the most play throughs  (Read 2786 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Games with the most play throughs
« on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
What games have you tirelessly played through the most?

I actually dont beat games multiple times like I used to. Theres just so much on my plate I dont have time. But ones back in my childhood I spent some mad hours beating Dark Forces over and over again since it was my favorite game on my older brothers computer which is the first system we all had access to. D mentioned Flashback in the other thread which reminded me of another game Ive practically memorized. A couple of beatem ups and arcade games like Streets of Rage 2, Turtles in Time, and Sunset Riders. Theres probably more but those are the ones off the top of my head. What about you guys?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Games with the most play throughs
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
Hmmm.  The Dooms.  Burnout Paradise got a ton of playthroughs across several profiles.  I play GTA IV a lot still, though I'm not trying to beat it again.  Mario games, particularly 3 and 4.  I'll think up some more.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
I dont play to beat, but I still can play some Doom. I generally replay the Monkey Island games once a year. I can also pop in pretty much any Mario game for some quick fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »
I replayed Doom a thousand times.  Loved it.  But yeah, I don't beat a lot of games multiple times, though I think The Darkness is going to hold the record, because I'm craving another play through of it again already.  Damn it I hope they make a sequel.  I hope so hard.  I loved that game.

But the game I kept coming back to more than any other for consistent stretches and for long periods of time was Morrowind.  I sunk hopeless amounts of hours into that game.  100 hours at least per character, and I had 3 characters, one of which had to have been more than 175 - 200 hours.  I suspect I put more than 425 - 450 hours into the game all told.  And I could still go right back and play it again, even though I don't because my mod collection for it got lost.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:16:40 AM »
Super Metroid. Granted, I can do it in a couple hours now, but I do that every so often just to remind myself what a game should be. I actually did this the other day to finish off my Metroid marathon brought on by Que's now defunct Metroid Maddness. I managed to play through all the Metroid Primes on hard mode and come out with 100% item collection.

Outside of that, it's rare I beat a game twice. There are a few exceptions though. I think I played through Final Fantasy VII like three or four times, which is big considering how long the game is. I probably went through Metal Gear Solid four or five times. Of course there's the NES stuff like Mario Brothers 3 and Battletoads (but I never actually beat Battletoads, so does that count?). As a kid I played through those endlessly for like a year at a time.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:30:26 AM »
I've done multiple playthroughs of most of the Castlevania games, especially Castlevania, Castlevania IV, and Symphony of the Night.  I remember doing quite a few playthroughs of the Contra and Mario games, especially the Super Mario Bros 3 when I was younger.  On the RPG side of things I have played through Xenogears start to finish 7 times, Xenosaga I and II twice (still need to play through III again) Chrono Trigger at least 6 or 7 times, Chrono Cross 3 times, and I have played some of the Final Fantasy games at least twice.  I've also played through the first Silent Hill several times.  Also I've done several playthroughs of the Metal Gear Solid games, especially the first one.  I've lost count how many times I have played through Doom.  There's probably others that I can't think of right now.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:43:16 AM »
That reminds me too. I went through Chrono Trigger several times too and saw most of the endings. Many of those playbacks involved the game plus mode where you would start the game with all your old equipment and levels, so things went a lot faster. I think I did managed to max out all the levels on the characters though.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 02:17:43 AM »
I counted up my total playtime on WoW (it keeps track of exactly how long you are logged onto each of your characters) and I decline to say. It is that embarassing.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline KontrollerX

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 04:46:27 AM »
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic hands down.  8)

Keeping count I beat the game at least 22 times.  :o

And there may of been times I played through after that where I didn't keep count at all so yeah awesome game.  :)

I think before that LOZ: Link to the Past held the crown for me.  :-\

The most hours put into any game though for me discounting the Halo games has to be with Oblivion and these damn Elder Scrolls games are so huge all those hours for me was spent mostly playing through on one character. I stand in awe of the crazy SOB's that have played through and unlocked everything with every different class of character in that game.  :o

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  • Doom
  • Starcraft
  • Diablo II
  • X-COM: UFO Defense
  • Deus Ex
  • F.E.A.R.
  • F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point
  • Call of Duty
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

All of the Super Marios and Castlevanias I listed I've beaten countless times.  Everything else I just beat twice.  I've played both Starcraft and X-COM: UFO Defense many, many times but I've only gotten all the way through twice.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 05:32:54 AM »
Oblivion is definitely up there.

Shinobi III (a.k.a. Super Shinobi II) was one of may favourite classics.

NWN2 has good replay value.

Mass Effect is working its way up there. I'm still enjoying it. Though the Mako sequences are tedious.

R6 Vegas 2 is addictive.

UT3 is great.. I just consider it a graphical revamp of the original UT.

Phantasy Star Universe! If I could play it online I would.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
I should have thought harder.  I've beaten Super Metroid probably 4 times or so, which isn't a lot by Metroid fan standards, but I've beaten all the 2D games numerous times, except Fusion because for some reason I used to get stuck three quarters in.  So I've played through most of that one 3 times, but only beaten it once.  Silent Hill 2 I've gone through I think 3 times.  And when I was a kid, I beat the original Contra more times than I can count.  I was really good at that game even though I suck at the new ones.  Though enough Contra 4 has me somewhat back on my game now.  Another couple weeks at that on and off and I think the old skills may flourish once again.

I should mention Secret of Mana also.  It's a decently long game, and I've gone through it 3 times now, with other little play sessions halfway through or so.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 07:15:30 AM »
I've tried to beat Silent Hill 2 for a second time numerous times, but I never seem to finish it.  I really should try again.  The story in that game is phenomenal.

I totally forgot about Contra.  Of course that one has to go on the list as one I've beaten many times.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
SotN
Super Metroid
Quake 2
Chrono Trigger

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic hands down.  8)

Keeping count I beat the game at least 22 times.  :o

Ugh. How could you stomach that. I thought KotOR was great, I really enjoyed it, and thought about going through it a second time, but I think after the second or even third time (if it was some time later) I would be very done with the game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
The thread reminded me of others.

Castlevania III--I played through this one in every possible way (4) and then a few more times with Grant and Alucard.
Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
Zelda 3
Revenge of Shinobi
Quake 2
Diablo 2

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Castlevania III--I played through this one in every possible way (4) and then a few more times with Grant and Alucard.
I was never able to beat it with Sypha or Alucard, only Grant.  Grant's high jump plus the axe item helps a ton on the final boss.  Without either the battle is much more difficult.

Sypha was alright.  Alucard I always found useless.

Edit:  BTW, is it Sypha or Syfa?  It seemed that even the game conflicted with its own manual, if I remember correctly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:07:28 PM »
Yeah, Sypha/Syfa Velmundes/Belnades--they couldn't make up their minds how to translate this.  The Japanese wouldn't get the concept of localization right until much later.  I was fanatical about this game for a long time.  I beat it not only with each of the 3 sidekicks, but also alone.  The final boss has patterns you can learn, and that makes him beatable without Grant or anyone else.  I even videotaped the boss fight all 4 ways.  God knows where that tape is right now, probably either in a storage locker or my ex-wife's garage in NY.

I liked Alucard's flying ability as a bat.  I practiced enough at transforming that I could recover from a fall into a pit and fly back to a platform.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 05:08:01 PM »
Man, I couldn't even stomach one play of KotOR.  Most boring game ever made.  I tried so hard to like it, but I could never get off that first damned planet.  The boredom was like a black hole that just sucked everything else inside it.

As for translation stuff... they still get it wrong sometimes, Cobra.  I think the big problem is they can never seem to decide if it's better to do different, non-Japanese names, do non-Japanese versions of the names (which is an easy choice if the original game is just Japanese-altered versions of names that aren't Japanese), or just do romanized versions of the original Japanese names.  And sometimes the latter two get mixed up in printed material, which can make it more confusing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Hard to think....since these days, I don't do a lot of multiple run-throughs on games from start to finish...Then again, I never really did...

I have secured ALL endings out of Shadow of Destiny, from start to finish; if I recall, there's 7 or 8 of them in total. Though, the game is around 5-8 hours per playthrough.

I think Morrowind (+ expansions) and Oblivion (+ DLC + expansions) have sucked the most hours out of me -- both each have taken over 150 hours of me, at least! Of course, never did multiple playthroughs ever once on either of those. NEVER.

You know, I'd have to really think on this one, to come up with a true answer...if possible...

EDIT:
I only really been through Deus Ex once. I did do all the endings from Deus Ex; though, I got them from reloading a save at the very final level, before you make the decision of which path to take. Same goes for DX: Invisible War, as well.

You know, I've been played through Tekken 2 and most of MK games with most characters, numerous times. Of course, those can be finished in usually minutes to hours, unlike LONG games.

EDIT #2:
I've been through STALKER once; never finished on my 2nd time through -- and the same goes for many other games, such as Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and Fallout 2.

EDIT #3:
I've been through Vampire: Bloodlines at least two times.