Author Topic: Fighting the used game market  (Read 2453 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Fighting the used game market
« on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
Article

New copies of Gears 2 will come with a code to get an exclusive map pack that apparently won't be sold later. NBA Live 09 has a daily roster update thing that will be free to new game buyers, $20 is you buy a used copy. Rockband 2 will also have a code for free stuff in new copies.

Interesting solutions, though I wonder if its fighting used games from the wrong angle. They are fighting the people that buy the games used, but they need to consider WHY they buy used games. New console games are $60. That's not exactly cheap, so people will sell their old games to get some of that back, and then use it to buy used games to get maximum game for their dollar.

Its not even used games they are trying to fight. Its Gamestop, which has made an empire out of used games. Why don't companies stop dealing with GS/EB? Don't give them new games to sell, don't give them pre-order bonus items, don't even give them the opportunity to convince people to buy the used game over the new one. You can't stop them from selling the used games they get in, but you don't have to support them from the other side as well.

This whole thing put two thoughts into my head. First, how much longer until we see CD keys and game registration on Live?  Second, why would you need daily updates to a basketball game? Seriously, WTF?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: Fighting the used game market
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »
Cause players get traded all the time in the NBA?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
In 15+ years of gaming, I have purchased 1 used game ever.  It was also for the SNES.

I don't like buying used games.  They feel dirty, and the manuals, box, etc. are usually missing and stuff.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
In 15+ years of gaming, I have purchased 1 used game ever.  It was also for the SNES.

I don't like buying used games.  They feel dirty, and the manuals, box, etc. are usually missing and stuff.

I'm very specific about buying used.  If I do, I want it to look as new as possible.  It also has to be complete

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
Don't you save like $5 for buying used?  I swear the last time I saw used games it was $54.99 and the new version was $59.99.

Maybe I like opening the shrink wrap too.  :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 03:07:33 PM »
Don't you save like $5 for buying used?  I swear the last time I saw used games it was $54.99 and the new version was $59.99.

Maybe I like opening the shrink wrap too.  :P

At Game Crazy used games run on average about 15 dolllars less for a used title (for example, when ninja gaiden 2 came out the new copy was 60 while the used copy was 44.99).  Sometimes I'll run across used games that I've been looking for that are either hard to find at retail or just flat out no longer available (Ikaruga for the GC comes to mind there).

5 dollars off, i agree buy the game.  15 dollars is a completely different story though, especially if the game is complete and in great condition

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
Cause players get traded all the time in the NBA?

That was my thought.

And sometimes, in sports, one player gets hurt, they bring up a player from a lower-pro leagues....so, EA using a Create A Player game option for NBA Live officially would make it easy for gamers who wanted to add Joe Nobody, for some reason b/c they don't have to create him themselves, I guess...

Hell, I dunno...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »

I was always really good about keeping everything.  Like with N64 games, I would only peel the shrinkwap on the end so I could open the box and I kept everything, even the little thick plastic bag the cartridges came in.

I remember I sold bunch of old N64 games at Gamestop years ago.  I brought all my pristine boxes and everything.  The Gamestop guy told me that I should just take them home because all they'll do is throw all that "crap" away.  I asked if they at least wanted the manuals and they said no.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
I regret the day I ever threw out all of my game boxes....and old nintendo powers.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »
I remember I sold bunch of old N64 games at Gamestop years ago.  I brought all my pristine boxes and everything.  The Gamestop guy told me that I should just take them home because all they'll do is throw all that "crap" away.  I asked if they at least wanted the manuals and they said no.

Yeah Gamestop doesn't care about games - they just look out for their bottom line. What iPPi said is pretty much how Gamestop works - they buy games and resell them for $5 under the going price. And they don't really have that feel that the more homegrown game stores have. There was a gaming store in Winston that a couple owned that I loved to go to - obviously they loved the games and they were in it for more than just the bottom line. I always bought my games there. But eventually Gamestop just ran them out of business. Which was odd because their used games were often cheaper than Gamestop, but I guess people just went to Gamestop instead.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 09:08:01 PM »
I fucking hate Gamestop, but we don't really have any specialty game stores here.  Just chains.  So I go to Gamestop because they're the nearest shop to me.  It kills me a little inside every time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »
That's capitalism for you. The more establish business has the edge. Of course, the economic crisis has hurt the small business as well, but there were a few small gaming stores around where I lived that died off because of the big players 5 years ago or so.

Either way, it doesn't look good for the little guy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »
That's capitalism for you. The more establish business has the edge. Of course, the economic crisis has hurt the small business as well, but there were a few small gaming stores around where I lived that died off because of the big players 5 years ago or so.

Either way, it doesn't look good for the little guy.

I remember looking at the database numbers when I worked at Futureshop for a few PCS suffering months.  If there's no margin in selling new games for a huge company like Best Buy, how can small companies hope to make any profit off of it?  That's the thing here - Developers and publishers can bitch and whine all they want, but people will still buy and sell used games because the model is there and it's more profitable than new games.  Fuck, I'll pay $5 less for the exact same thing any day. I give away or throw out all my shit the second I'm done playing it anyways.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 06:57:47 AM »
Of course, the economic crisis has hurt the small business as well...
I almost considered that a typo! Frickin' Crysis!!

Used games (or pre-owned as EB Games refer to them) sell very well out here in the Middle-East. The price drops are significant enough to make you consider them intently.

The major stores here (Virgin, Plug-ins, basically Best Buy equivalents) have their PS3 between $65-$90 USD. The smaller shops, often in marketplaces or hidden in alleys, will sell new titles for around $30~$50 USD and used games can go for around $20~$40 USD (depending on how recent the title is).

USed games for consoles are fine. I'm never really concerned. When it comes to PC though I have to be careful about what sort of registration/activation is required for the game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »
There's a mom and pop game store that just opened up in an outlet mall in my town.  As much as I'd like it to succeed, it honestly really sucks.  It's ran by a bunch of kids and I've realized pretty fast that their stock doesn't really shuffle around a lot.  It's unfortunate that mom and pops are the only way to get anything prior to the 128 bit generation any more.