Author Topic: DS games for old people?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
DS games for old people?
« on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 01:35:20 AM »
With Christmas coming up my mother sprung it on me that she's buying a DS for herself and my pops and would like a few of those DS games aimed at old people.  The brain age kind of thing and stuff like that.  I figure I might as well plan on getting them a few games because I can do it without having to brave the mall so I don't get confused into letting a doctor prod a hole into my penis again.  As such, I'd like some reccomendations on things that are good for old people who don't play games at all.  As of right now I'm kind of thinking:

-Brain Age.  The original and if they like that I can get them the second one and/or some other variation at a later point.  This was specifically asked for (or at least "That brain game") so it's pretty much a must.  I think the only reason I'd skip the first and go straight to the second would be if the speech/handwriting recognition was better.

-Flash Focus.  Kind of the same deal but different enough that it would mix it up a bit...I think.

-Trauma Center.  Kind of because I think they might get a kick out of something like that.   I'm kind of torn between this one and Cooking Mama.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: DS games for old people?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »
Brain Age 1 and 2 have totally different sets of "tests". BA1 feels very...."testy". Math stuff, color stuff, word stuff. BA2 has more interesting tests, like counting change, piano, and other things.

Flash Focus is pretty "meh".

Trauma Center is good. Also Phoenix Wright. Sometime soon Nintendo should release Personal Trainer: Cooking, which is renamed from Cooking Guide in the EU. Its not so much a game but a recipe book type thing, where they take you step by step cooking various dishes. Pretty cool. Theres also some yoga training thing that teaches yoga.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Note that Trauma Center is more of a game than Cooking Mama.  The latter is fun, and cute, but less complicated and such.

Also, I hear that Chessmaster XI: The Art of Learning isn't too bad.  I've been playing it on PSP, and while the subtitle is basically, uh, wrong, there really aren't good portable chess programs out there other than that one.  Of course, this depends entirely upon whether they like chess.

I believe there are a couple of crossword games which might appeal to them if they're into that.  I forget the names, but I'm sure they'd be easy to find.

That's about all I can say.  All the games I have for it are games.  I'm not all that interested in the non-game stuff.  Though I guess you might also consider Professor Layton and the Curious Village.  I know, it sounds like a kid's game, but it really isn't.  It's got a lot of very interesting puzzles and, depending on your folks, might be something that would appeal to them.  Aesthetic and plot stuff regardless (which is very quaint and unique), the game is mentally stimulating and big enough to keep you going for a long while.  It's one of my favorite DS games.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
Oh yeah, the crossword games are good. Crosswords DS is pretty simple, but the New York Times one is really nice. If they like that, then woo!

Also, Picross DS is a really great game if they like puzzles like that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
I think Brain Challenge has made it to DS.

It's one of my favourites on my phone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
All very interesting suggestions.  Crosswords are a good call, and I'll check out Professor Layton (which I really know nothing about).   On the Cooking Mama Vs. Trauma Center thing, is Cooking Mama a game at all?  I know my parents and they wouldn't really be into the 'educational' aspect of Cooking Mama at all. At the same time, I could see cooking Trauma Center getting difficult later.  Any truth to that?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
Cooking Mama is all game. It doesn't actually teach you how to cook anything. Its almost like WarioWare, where all the minigames are like breaking eggs, kneading dough, chopping veggies, etc. The different "dishes" only determine which of the minigames you'll be playing and in what order.