Author Topic: comics!  (Read 2426 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
comics!
« on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 07:15:33 AM »
i've never had more than a passing interest in comic books, but every now and again something grabs me. i'm a huge fan of preacher, it being the only series that i've followed all the way to conclusion, and am currently working my way through the boys (also by ennis). it's a lot of fun, especially if, like me, you find the typical super hero style comics just a touch ridiculous.

so anyway, i'm sure we've got a few comic book geeks around here, so what are your recommendations (preferably not involving capes and spandex)?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: comics!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 07:47:36 AM »
It may seem like a generic suggestion, but if you've never read the Sandman comics, you should party like it's 1995 and go pick them up.  Don't let the look of it put you off.  I avoided reading them for a long time just because the style seemed odd to me when simply picking up a volume and thumbing through it, but if you sit down for an hour and read it your impressions will be very different.  It's a classic series in every sense, and Neil Gaiman is a genius.

My other favorite is Berserk, from the Japanese sector.  It's hyper-violent and completely insane, but there's actually some remarkable storytelling beneath it all, and as the series goes, Guts becomes one of the most interesting, identifiable, and pitiable heroes in fiction.  It's a weird mix that offers gratuitous violence and some sexual stuff that almost seems to border on hentai, but also a palpable and very heavy-laden storyline with strong emotional undercurrents that contrast the other stuff.  The art style is very 80's-looking in the beginning, so you have to forgive it a little, but it becomes much stronger as things go (the series has been going for like 20 years... I think domestically we now have 26 volumes, and it was only somewhat recently picked up by Dark Horse after years of being ignored by western publishers, forcing fans to deal with scans and fan translations).  There was a kickass Dreamcast game based on it which came out a long time ago, that I played to death because it actually offered unique storyline that fit really well into the series, and it was also an anime, which also suffers from being slightly dated-looking and ends upon the worst cliffhanger ending ever in the history of television and generally makes people want to rip their own eyes out.  Thankfully we have the manga in English now, but we didn't for a long time, and that's what drove many of us to get translations and scans.  I love watching people during the last couple episodes of the show, because they just can't believe it's happening, or where it ends.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
Berserk is frickin' awesome man.

I remember when I saw there was a Dreamcast game based on it I got psyched! Too bad it wasn't that good. It was doomed to start with, it would have had to be phenomenal to live up to the series (books and anime).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »
I liked Scud: The Disposable Assassin. They recently released a collection of all of them that I totally need to pick up.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
I'm going to go along with Que here on The Sandman.  Easily my favorite comic book series.  I've actually just started reading Fables a few months ago and its been good so far.  Hellboy is another great series to read and you've gotta love a series that has vampires, Nazis, ghosts, zombies, monsters and mythological/folklore characters like Baba Yaga and Rasputin all rolled into a fun story.  The Goon is fucking hilarious and I still need to finish it.  It's probably one of the most wacky comics I have ever read and breaks the fourth wall, often with hilarious results.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 09, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
Gpw actually recently sent me a couple of the Fables books.  I haven't had a chance to really sit down and read anything, but those are next on my list now that I'm done with the book I was reading last.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
I'm all about Grognak the Barbarian. You read it and you feel strangely empowered...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
The only comic I've really read in the last 10-15 years is Fables.  Well, that's a lie.  I read The Watchmen a while ago but found it vastly disappointing.  It wasn't bad in itself, but every comic geek wants to suck it's dick so much that I thought it'd be better.   Fables is extremely entertaining though.  I actually even went into a comic store to buy one of the books, which is a mistake I will never make again.  Social Awkwardness was too overwhelming.