Author Topic: Help. My Cat is ill.  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Help. My Cat is ill.
« on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 01:53:36 AM »
My cat, Butters, has been vomiting since three in the morning yesterday. He vomited all his canned food, and then kept vomiting yellow liquid (bile?) afterwards. Now he has stopped vomiting yellow, but is now barfing clear liquid with a lot of foam.

I think he may have chewed on some grass before I could have stopped him a couple of days ago. He also may have a fur ball, but the vet here won't open till another four hours. He looks really lethargic, and is hiding under the bed! :(

Idol, I know you have cats. Any ideas?

edit:

Three in the morning, not afternoon.

It is 2 in the afternoon here now, so that's 9 hours. I think he is a bit better now, because he is sitting on his chair next to mine now, though seems really weak, which is understandable after vomiting all his nutrients. He did drink some water though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Help. My Cat is ill.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »
Dont worry about the grass, cats eat it to settle an upset stomach. So he probably felt this coming on and ate the grass. Unless you spray stuff on the lawn.

Other than that, not sure what to say. He might have something caught, like a hairball or even a bit of feather from a bird or toy.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »
No, we don't spray stuff on our lawn. Yea, that's why my mother said too, about settling an upset stomach.

He has done this before a couple of times, but it has only lasted a few minutes, and ends with his vomiting a fur ball.

At one point, while barfing clear liquid, he made a very loud frightening groaning sound.

This is him:

I ought to comb him more, I guess.

I saw some cat food the other day, that was apparently designed for Persian cats to combat this problem. The trouble was it was made in Thailand, so I am not sure I trust that.

What food do you get for your cats? I typically just get Whiskas.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »
Just doing a quick search, it seems constipation can cause this. Try giving him some milk, at least until you can take him to the vet.

We just feed our some off-brand dry stuff. They seem to like it (they get all mad if we change it, heh). We feed a couple of out older cats some canned food since some of their teeth are missing.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
He doesnt like to hang under parked cars does he? The only thing I could think of is he could have gotten into anti-freeze, but Im doubting it because he wouldnt have lasted this long. Maybe he got into some food he shouldnt have?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 04:59:15 AM »
It sounds like he ingested something he shouldn't have.. Maybe a house plant, maybe other food he's a allergic to.

My cat, Butch, is such a spoilt brat when it comes to food. He's picky and won't just eat anything. He hates Whiskas, is ok with Friskies, but he favours canned tuna, smoked turkey, or fresh grilled fish best. He mostly eats with us while we're having lunch or dinner.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 06:26:44 AM »
No he is a house cat. I typically feed him canned Whiskas, dry food, or boiled minced meat.

Anyway took him to the doctor, and he said there were numerous other cats coming with the same issue. He said that it was unlikely that it was a fur ball, because he would have vomited that by now. He said that Butters also had a slight temperature, which wasn't something that came with a furball.

The thing is, that it is winter time here, and the floors in my house are marble, so they get really really cold. The vet said that that had caused his tummy to get cold and make him ill.

The doctor gave him a shot, and told me to give him 500 ml of pedialyte every few hours. He said he should be OK in 24 hours, and if he isn't, then we will have to get an XRAY done.

Anyway, he hasn't vomited in three hours, so I am hopeful. 

They seem to like it (they get all mad if we change it, heh)

:P

Yea most cats don't seem to like variety once they get hooked on kibble. I don't know what the hell it is, but it is like crack for cats. They just need constant access to water when they are on kibble though.

I wish I could feed my cats only dry food, but unfortunately Persians are very intolerant of it. They love it, but their stomachs can't handle it unless it is mixed with regular food. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a Petsmart here. This stuff is really expensive... and with five cats running around the house, it is eating into my gaming money hehe. :P 

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 19, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
I may know what's up. Pyro told me yesterday that he was going over to your house to "deal with those little furry bastards". He had this crazy look in his eyes - I just backed away slowly.