Author Topic: NBA 2K9 PC Version - Update: New 1.5 GB-plus sized patch released  (Read 2132 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
NBA 2K9 PC Version - Update: New 1.5 GB-plus sized patch released
« on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
Interesting.

PC version of NBA 2K9 has been announced officially to release on Oct 21st, 2008 -- which is close to coming right along side of the X360, PS3, and PS2 versions of the game this month (Oct. 7th).

I guess with no PC version of EA's NBA Live series this year, it's a golden opportunity for 2K Sports to try and fill the void on the PC.

PC NBA 2K9 [October 07, 2008, 11:45 am ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
2K Sports announces a PC edition of NBA 2K9 is coming this month, the first PC installment in this long-running basketball simulation series.

The PC edition is expected on October 21, joining the Xbox 360-, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 2 editions, which should be tipping off at most retail locations today. Here is a bit from the game's description: "NBA 2K9 is the premier basketball game for serious players, and will deliver the most realistic and feature-rich simulation experience ever available in the NBA 2K franchise – from gameplay and graphics to presentation and online features.

Fans will also be able to enjoy the most up-to-date basketball experience ever available in the NBA 2K franchise through Living Rosters with constant updates to player ratings and player tendencies, along with access to exclusive unlockable animation packages for players in the game. If it happens during the regular NBA season, it will happen in NBA 2K9."

EDIT:
I just watched the Living Roster trailer for NBA 2K9 -- wow, that's pretty crazy that they're going update stats, rosters, and whatnot all the time. It also states you can download the updates automatically or manually.

EDIT #2
More info on the PC version:
2K HD – Breathtaking action in full HD resolution brings you radically improved facial textures and eye movement, true-to-life crowd reactions and celebration sequences, and much more.

Styles Upon Styles – New Signature Defensive Styles and more Signature Shots, dunks and free throws give you EVEN MORE distinctive player styles.

Adaptive AI – Now your teammates and your opponents read,react, and adjust in real time to match your gameplay strategies.

The Association 2.0 - All-new NBA.com interface, Player Ambitions, Player Scouting, and more options for the casual player make this the most robust Franchise mode ever

* Does not support any online functionality, including but not limited to online games, 2K Share, ReelMaker or Living Rosters

** Internet access required to install and authenticate game

« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 04:24:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version announced - due out on October 21st, 2008
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
** Internet access required to install and authenticate game

Just so you're aware, according to the Take2 store page they list Steam as a requirement.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version announced - due out on October 21st, 2008
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
Good to know.
Thanks for the additional notes there, Idol.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version announced - due out on October 21st, 2008 with Steam required
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »
Ummmm....Ooops!

NBA 2K9 CD Keys Missing

[October 21, 2008, 9:19 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
The 2K Sports Forums are abuzz with comments from purchasers of the PC edition of NBA 2K9 who have discovered the game was shipped without the CD keys required to activate their installation.

This page on the 2K Sports Website offers a workaround, saying: "If you've had issues installing NBA 2K9 for the PC, please know that a solution is now in place. This solution will be downloaded automatically and seamlessly when you install your game, and no Product Key is required." They have contact information for anyone who cannot get this to work. Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version - Update: Game shipped with no CD key for activation....oops!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
The ultimate DRM: Make the game unplayable!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version - Update: Game shipped with no CD key for activation....oops!
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
The ultimate DRM: Make the game unplayable!

No wonder some people prefer cracks and/or pirated game copies.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 10:13:34 PM »
Can I start deleting his posts yet?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 10:34:08 PM »

Good point. All this time I thought it was because they were free.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 04:40:53 AM »

I disagree. I think it is a wonder.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: NBA 2K9 PC Version - Update: Game shipped with no CD key for activation....o
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »
Good point. All this time I thought it was because they were free.

It's because they're free and because they work.  Granted, that second part is usually covered in stuff that isn't free.  I guess now we have a growing number of exceptions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »
This is ridiculous. Twice in the last two months, we've had games lacking CD codes.

STALKER: Clear Sky for the PC was the first one last month, which was missing the CD Key (for the online portion), so at least they caught the issue and recalled all the games back and got CD keys for them. They could've pulled a NBA2K9 and just say "Screw the codes for the MP, just put the CD in the drive and play." (Which the game requires to play anyways).

Now this month, NBA2K9 PC -- lacking its Steam code to unlock the game. Not only that, but some users had to REINSTALL Steam completely to get NBA2K9 PC going.

Ummm....WTF guys?

DRM seems to cause more problems (to legit users) that it supposed to actually stop (with pirates).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
DRM seems to cause more problems (to legit users) that it supposed to actually stop (with pirates).

At the same time, you could say it causes less problems (issues) to illegitimate users (opposite of legit, i.e. pirates) than it should.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
At the same time, you could say it causes less problems (issues) to illegitimate users (opposite of legit, i.e. pirates) than it should.

Which is what the DRM should do; find a way to cause trouble to the pirates and nobody else.
Legit customers shouldn't have to suffer b/c the way pirates are.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »
New patch for NBA2K9 released over Steam.

I don't know, but before this patch, my C drive had approximately 6 GB left.
It's almost now down to 4.74 GB -- and this patch is only 67% done.

There's no patch log notes listed or anything, but from what I read in the thread, people have noticed:
--updated rosters (if you already began a season, you must start a new one to get the rosters updated)
--lots of AI tweaks / changes
--more brand new animations
--some players got more new moves
--better performance

EDIT:
Got 4.34 GB left on my HD now.
Damn, that was a hefty patch 1.5 GB + sized patch!