Author Topic: Emulation is awesome  (Read 1575 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Emulation is awesome
« on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »
We don't say that enough, but it really is great.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Emulation is awesome
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »
Yes it is.  What specific thing made you bring that up?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 01:21:18 AM »
I got Dreamcast and Gamecube emulators going the other day, and tonight I had the arcade version of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike running. I've also been running DOSbox on my laptop and playing some awesome classic games. Good times, good times.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »
We don't say that enough, but it really is great.
Too true.

Being able to go through my classic games is a real joy. Emulation is truly a treasure.

I wish I could homebrew my PSP so I can play some classics on it too.

Btw, which emus are you using?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
nullDC for Dreamcast, Dolphin for Gamecube, CPS3 Emulator (great name, huh?) for Street Fighter 3, Kawaks for NeoGeo and CPS2, Nestopia for NES, ZSNES for SNES, Project64 for N64, and MAME for all those random arcade games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
Emulation is the best thing ever.  Even though it wasn't playable, the coolest thing ever was having DOSbox running on my PSP.  It was almost good enough to play Epic Pinball, but not quite.  One of the best days ever for me was when I got Seiken Densetsu 3 going on my PSP.  I played the crap out of that at work.  So much fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
Not long ago, I got the itch to back up a lot of stuff, among it all the emulation stuff I have.  So I made a folder on an external drive and ended up with 13 directories in it.  That's 12 different systems, from Atari to N64, plus MAME.  Make that 13.  Atari includes a computer and the VCS.  Actually 14.  The Master System and Game Gear are really separate systems, though internally they're basically the same thing, and so use the same emulator.

The last one I ran I think was either VBA-m or ZSNES.  I was into a Metroid kick for a while.  Also Caslevania, including CoM for GBA and Dracula X RoB on the PC Engine (TG16).  Looks like I forgot about the X68000, which has the best arcade ports of its day.  There's a Castlevania game for that too, hard as nails.  I need to add that stuff to the backup folder.

There's a useful Gamecube emulator out now?  Oh, Dolphin?  Did that actually progress to a playable state?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
It still has its issues depending on the game, but there are quite a few playable ones. I got to play Cubivore for the first time. Apparently it runs Metroid Prime well. It also runs Zelda, but that game uses some low level sound code they haven't figured out yet so there isnt any sound. Few other games have that same issue.

Still, it works pretty well. And I'm just amazed by the Dreamcast emu. Not just that it runs games extremely well with full sound, but it doesn't take a lot of fucking around with plugins and settings to do it. Getting the PS2 emulator to run things is a total chore by comparison.