Author Topic: EA trying to be more innovative isn't working out.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
EA trying to be more innovative isn't working out.
« on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/16/maddening-npd-data-shows-weak-dead-space-mirrors-edge-sales/

I guess this is why EA never tried experimenting till this year. I bet the shareholders are pretty upset. :P

A pity that Dead Space isn't selling better.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: EA trying to be more innovative isn't working out.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
It's a shame that Dead Space isn't doing well -- it's a great game that definitely deserves to be played.

It's also retarded that people will go buy the 87941632519274th version of a sports game that has some improved graphics and gameplay.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Mirror's Edge screams "Come back when we've perfected the game in the sequel"

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
It's also retarded that people will go buy the 87941632519274th version of a sports game that is the exact same bullshit with an updated roster.

Fixed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
I don't get the EA sports crap. I guess it appeals to the typical jock who has a console. I don't follow popular sports so I guess I'll never really understand the appeal.

I'm kinda glad their sales are doing relatively poorly, mainly coz it goes along with boycotte of EA titles.. At the same time I'm sad that decent games are being shamed by carrying the EA label. They're like good opponents which in another time, another place I may have called "friend." But so long as they are sold under the EA banner, I will not purchase them!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Mirror's Edge screams "Come back when we've perfected the game in the sequel"

I am listening to the awesome GWJ podcast that Pyro posted, and Jeff Green is talking about a re release in a few months. I am all for it. I hope they release it with a patch or whatever. Haven't tried it yet though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Is Dead Space the one that's multiplayer only?  Now I'm not sure.  I think it's the one that seemed good to me recently, until the lack of a single-player campaign drove me away.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
Dead Space is single player only.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
Do you mean Left 4 Dead Cobra?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »
It's a shame that Dead Space isn't doing well -- it's a great game that definitely deserves to be played.
You could've added me as a +1 along with the SIX people already (now that would've made SEVEN) that bought Dead Space on the PC if it wasn't for the game's frickin' DRM.

It's also retarded that people will go buy the 87941632519274th version of a sports game that has some improved graphics and gameplay.
I think what should be done is -- especially on the PC -- just sell the new years an expansion packs.
Or something.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »

I think what should be done is -- especially on the PC -- just sell the new years an expansion packs.
Or something.

This has been discussed to death in the other forum I post at.  1.  EA makes way too much money off yearly iterations, and B) Their contractual agreements with the leagues probably stipulate that they have to release a full game every year.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
EA is calling their new franchises "successful."

4 hours ago - 12:20 PM on 03.04.2009

EA stands behind Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, calls them 'successful'
Dale North on Dead Space

And they should. Sure, both of their new IPs didn't sell as well as they hoped, but EA Europe's VP Patrick Soderlund thinks that they've done a good job with the titles, and says that they will be seen as successful for their lifetime performance.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Soderlund admits that their release timing could have been better:

They're both new IPs; it's hard to break new ground with new IPs, especially in that Q3 window, when you have games like Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 5, and a bunch of other really strong products with a 2, or 3, or 4, or 5 on it. So, I think that we could have done a better job as far as ship timing on, probably, both of those.

I really think that Dead Space was totally an issue of bad timing. In my mind, it was a polished game, and definitely a strong new IP. Soderlund says that EA "executed well on our quarter targets; probably better than we could have hoped for."

As for Mirror's Edge, it may have needed a bit more polish. Soderlund: "Is it perfect? No. Are there things in there that we will address for future versions? Absolutely. Was it a good first attempt? Yes! That's kind of how I summarize it."

EA, keep on keeping on. New IPs is where its at. Oh, and more Dead Space, please.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
That's good news. Personally I was impressed with the new directions. I really liked the fact that DICE went with something totally different in Mirror's Edge.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 05, 2009, 01:17:32 AM »
Have you guys heard the news for the Wii Dead Space game? I was curious about it because it looked like a neat horror first person shooter with a different plot than the XBox game... then I found out, its a rail shooter... lame.