Author Topic: Firefox has overtaken IE (at least according to one source)  (Read 2329 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Firefox has overtaken IE (at least according to one source)
« on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

As of April 2009, Firefox has a 47.1% marketshare, versus ~43.1% for IE versions 6, 7 and 8. (IE5 hasn't been tracked since June 2005, when it had 0.5% marketshare.) Chrome, Safari and Opera combined tally 10.1%.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Firefox has overtaken IE (at least according to one source)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »
Go Fox!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »
That's pretty impressive. Is Firefox bundled with anything?

I wish there were more support for Opera. I've tried Firefox a few times and I just don't like it as much. The problem is that Opera isn't used enough for people to really care if their pages work ok in it, so I sometimes have to open up IE for a specific page.

EDIT: I guess one way to look at the bright side is that since Firefox is becoming so popular, it may become the target more often for virus coders, the way IE has been for a while. (or maybe that can also be blamed on bad coding on the part of MS) If this happens, being on Opera may keep me safer. :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 08:31:37 PM »
I thought Opera was W3C standards compliant like Firefox was.  So I don't think that your occasional troubles with Opera are isolated to it.

The only time I've ever used Opera is the little USB version I use sometimes if I encounter a computer where IE doesn't work and there is no other browser installed.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
Those dumb quizzes and stuff on Facebook, half of those work in IE but not Opera ( they won't load completely.) I have to use IE to upload stuff to Photobucket also, with Opera I get logged out with every page refresh I think (I haven't tried in a few months with Opera.)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
Those dumb quizzes and stuff on Facebook, half of those work in IE but not Opera ( they won't load completely.) I have to use IE to upload stuff to Photobucket also, with Opera I get logged out with every page refresh I think (I haven't tried in a few months with Opera.)

In most of those cases it should be a problem where they're coding for IE only instead of NOT coding for Opera.  Check what version of Opera you are using; everything after 9.0 should be fully standard compliant (according to the Acid2 test).  So, if you're having problems it's either an IE or nothing proposition, something in your browser settings, or an old version.

I could, however, be completely wrong on this.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 02:47:21 AM »
I'm using Opera 9.64.

It's set to accept cookies, and I have nothing special setup in the security section. It must be stuff that's done specifically for IE, I dunno. Actually Photobucket seems to be working fine, I just checked it. It was probably an older version that had problems with Photobucket, and I was just so used to opening IE for that site that I hadn't checked to see if it was working now.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
Maybe there is hope for web development after all...