Author Topic: So I bricked my PSP.  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
So I bricked my PSP.
« on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 12:43:04 AM »
And by "I" I mean those Frenchie motherfuckers and their cfw.  Had a correct version to update from, battery charged, everything in place... get to 92%, it fails with an error message, hard locks, and the system will no longer boot.  Yay!

Fuck my life.

I guess I know what I'm buying tomorrow.  Except I can't buy it tomorrow, because I have to go on a shitty fucking vacation with my sick wife which will be excruciating because her condition has worsened to the point of ridiculousness and she keeps telling me she's dreading even going on the stupid vacation that she planned and wanted to begin with.  So I get to go spend 2 and a half days driving halfway across the state so that we can most likely do nothing that we planned to do and so I can listen to her sob in the bathroom and then try to smile later when she tries to pretend she isn't completely fucking miserable.  AWESOME.

I repeat: fuck my life.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: So I bricked my PSP.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »
I don't know about the other stuff, but a bricked PSP is supposed to be easy to fix. I don't have one so I can't speak on it personally.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »
It may be fixable, depending.  Even if so I still have to go buy a fucking card reader and wait for a Pandora battery to get delivered.  And that doesn't help the fucking monstrosity of today.  Right now, I just want to put someone through a window.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
Geez, I hope your day starts looking better man. Godwilling it'll start with your wife feeling better and gradually work its way to your PSP working again.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »
That sounds horrible, all of it.  One thing at a time, man.  It's all you can do.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
I can send you my Pandora, and when I go out I'll grab a memory stick to make a magic stick.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 25, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »
Well, I got a memory stick and went to format it. Unfortunately I left my PSP USB mode in Flash0 instead of memory stick...so I bricked my system.

Luckily I read that I can fix it, but I was using my PSP as the card reader. So now I need to get a USB card reader and then I can fix the stupid thing.

On the plus side I'll be able to confirm the card works since I'll have to use it myself, heh.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2009, 07:29:38 PM by idolminds »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
Geez, guys, what is this, the new pandemic?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
haha, nah. It was my own stupidity that I forgot to set the USB mode back on my PSP. I was working too quickly and was distracted (listening to a podcast) while I did it. The irony being the only reason I was doing it was to help Que unbrick his. Oops.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »
Got a card reader, created the magic memory stick and redid my PSP. All is well again.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
This thread started out really depressing and then got really funny. I mean, the main problem is still there, but I laughed pretty hard when I read Idol's thread.

So, honestly, how easy is it to actually brick these mothers?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »
When hacking them its always a possibility. Not sure what happened to Ques, but mine was just me not doing it right.

There are several "areas" of memory you can access on the PSP via USB connection when you are using custom firmware. The default mode, and the mode regular unhacked PSPs access, is the memory stick. Other things are the UMD drive (allowing you to rip UMDs), and various internal memory to the PSP itself. Shit like where the firmware is stored.

One of the hacks to get certain games or demos to run is the version.txt. Basically the file tells the system what version firmware you are running, and you can fake it out by writing over it with the version.txt of a newer firmware. So if a game says "I wont play unless you're running such and such firmware!" then the system lies to it and the game plays. Hooray!

Well that file is stored in the PSPs special internal areas. I had updated that file the day before and forgot to set it back to reading the memory stick, so when I went to format the stick it fucked up the PSPs memory instead.

So its easy to brick if you're a clod and don't pay attention to things like details or instructions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »
Okay, that makes sense. I just thought it very strange you both did it back to back.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
No clue what happened to mine.  I've gone through seemingly countless upgrades now and never had a problem.  It may well have been something I did, but I'm always extremely careful to go through everything and make sure it's set right.  Everything was seeming to work fine, then it just crashed with an error and was hard-locked.  I let it sit there for 10 minutes to no avail.  I had to pull the battery, and of course when I tried to turn it back on, it failed to boot.

I'm thinking at this point I may buy a PSP slim with which to play legit UMDs and then keep my fat around if the battery trick works for homebrew.  But that might be stupid.  I honestly don't use homebrew nearly so much as I used to since I don't have time to play games and stuff as much these days.  My emulators were gathering quite a bit of dust (but... damn, having them around is just so... comforting...)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
Damn, my PSP has started making really loud noises when it's reading from UMDs. I've also noticed that the loading time is very slightly longer.

Anyone know what could cause these symptoms or how to relieve them?