Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Flower
« on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »
You really have to play it.  I'm always wary of critic-crowd art hype, but it was really an incredible experience.  Similar to flOw in some ways, but absolutely nothing like it at all in others.  It's very pretty, and very... well, flowy, like its predecessor, but it's much more grounded and emotional.  Still abstract to some degree, but not nearly as much, and capable of inspiring some emotional highs and lows throughout.  I wasn't sure what exactly to expect, though it had been indicated by some reviews I'd read that the experience isn't as straightforward as it would seem at first glance, with some twists as you go.

So that said... don't spend time looking at screens, watching videos, or reading anything about it.  If you own a PS3 and know you'll appreciate something beautiful and unique that you may not spend much more than an hour or two with (though you actually could spend a good bit more since some of the trophies could potentially take a bit of skill and persistence to acquire -- so depending on your playing habits it might be a decent investment), just go grab it right now.  Don't read about it, don't think about it, just grab it, make sure you have an hour and a half or so free, and just sit down and play the whole thing by yourself, without distractions.  If you're skeptical... well, I'm not sure what you would do.  You could watch videos or something, but I don't know how compelling the thing would look if you're just watching.  If you don't have a PS3, try to find a friend who has one and tell him to get it and let you play it.  It would be worth it just to sit down and play once even if you didn't touch it again.

I wasn't sure how much I was going to care, but wanted to try it, and I totally don't regret it.  I hope everyone without a PS3 at the 2009 meet will take a little time to experience it.

The Gamespot review sums things up nicely, but I don't recommend reading it due to the spoilers.  Technically they aren't really spoilers because the game doesn't really have a plot, but it does tell a kind of story, and the way it takes you up and down its little fable is remarkable.  Much better to just go in blind and enjoy the unexpected nature of it.  As it went I was afraid it was going to end up lopsided or even preachy, but it doesn't really veer far enough for that.  It uses things conceptually and ends up with a somewhat unexpected climax and denouement.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.  Unless you're a robot.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Flower
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 01:49:49 AM »
Looks interesting.  I might pick it up if the price isn't too ridiculous.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 01:53:17 AM »
It's $10.  I thought I mentioned that, sorry.

Whether it's worth it or not depends entirely on the kind of person you are and what aspects of the game you'll appreciate.  For someone like me who craves inspiration and emotional bonding with my games, absolutely worth it.  Someone looking for something satisfying on a purely mechanical level?  Likely not.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
Damn.  Doesn't look like this one is on PC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
It's a PS3 downloadable exclusive, made by the people who did Cloud and flOw.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »
I meant to get this last week when it came out, but my brother was visiting, but I am definitely going to try getting it tonight after work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
Do so.  I just played through the whole thing again a 2nd time, and I've got about 75% of the trophies now.  There's at least a little more replayability here than you might think.  Not because there's tons to see and do, but because there are some hidden things you can easily miss that make it fun to go back and find.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
I just played through this for my first time and wow what an amazing game, especially the last level.  I will be playing through this multiple times.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 07, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »
Just bought this and I am loving it so far. This game is absolutely gorgeous, for that reason alone I would pay for it. I remember reading about it awhile ago and didn't quite know what to expect, and I'm glad that I gave it a try. Only played the first level so far and I'm on the 2nd right now - two trophies so far. Any idea how many there are overall? Controls took me a second to get used to, I'm not great with sixaxis motion - it took me a few minutes to get a good feel for it.

But enough talk, I'm gonna go fly around some more.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
PSN fall sale is on right now.  The game is $4.99.  That is compelling enough for me to make the purchase... waiting for the download to complete right now.