Author Topic: Turn-it-in  (Read 2332 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Turn-it-in
« on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
You may know of Turn-it-In, the paper checking software.  Now, what I need to know is if previous papers I've handed in are in the database.  I need to write an essay, and in order to do so I'm going to combine two previous essays I've written.  One or more may have gone through Turn-it-In, although I'm not sure (do they have to tell you before hand?). Because, if it does come up, the nature of the software makes it hard to prove that I actually wrote the essays it's comparing it to.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Turn-it-in
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »
Heh, this is the first time I've heard of this, though it doesn't surprise me that it exists.  Don't be lazy and write something completely new and original if you don't want to risk being accused of plagiarism.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 12:48:32 AM »
You raise a good point.  My point is that with a very specific topic given to me, it becomes an entirely different exercise when you can't retread the same ground.  I'm changing it as much as I can, but there's obviously limits to that. Paraphrasing my original work is an option, but there's no guarantee that I'm not going to paraphrase it right into a text book entry.  It's not an issue of laziness, it's an issue that you're generally predisposed to write a certain way and I shouldn't be forced to change the nature of a work that I obviously thought was at it's best just because I was denied a fucking transfer credit. Well, that and they should not be motherfucking loading my shit into their database.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 01:18:50 AM »
Found it.  Interestingly enough, turnitin.com has a student version which tests against the database so you can rework your citations and such without actually fully submitting it (for money). You know what the funny thing is?  If my paper isn't in the database I'll just probably fully hand it in now, whereas if I never started actually looking into this I probably would have worked the thing over again.

Edit: 2% not original.   That seems suspiciously low. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Never heard of this either.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
Most profs I've had who use turnitin let us submit our work on it before we hand it in to make sure it isn't plagiarized. The fact that you have to do that shows how broken the whole system is. Now whoever actually does plagiarize gets to check if they'll get caught beforehand. Those who don't plagiarize have to deal with all the ambiguity of turnitin.

That said, I usually end up under 5% so it's not that much of an inconvenience.

Edit: I probably should've read the thread first. You pretty much said all that in your last post.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
I've never heard of this before.

Weird.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
I think that we used to have this in high school. The teachers all loved it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
Never heard of this, as well...