Author Topic: For X-COM: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense lovers  (Read 1948 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
For X-COM: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense lovers
« on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
A person at worked tipped me off to a modern game that was very similar to X-COM: Enemy Unknown (UFO Defense in the U.S.).  It's actually a Russian game from a developer called Chaos Concepts.  The game is called UFO Extraterrestrials.

Before I actually played the game I read about it and it seems there are a few mods for it.  One is called "Bman's ease of use mod 4.07 (fixed by Coasty)" and what this mod does is make the game even more similar to the original X-COM game.  I've never played the true game, and instead elected to play with this mod installed from the get-go.

It's phenomenal.  Very true to the original game with just a few differences.  The nicest part is that it's a 2007 game and I've verified it runs fine on Windows Vista x64, so you get nicer visuals combined with ease of use.  Compare that to the original X-COM where your best option is to try to track down the old DOS version to run in DOSbox (the Windows 95 version will run in Windows XP with a special EXE file, but will not run in Vista at all).

I highly recommend checking it out.  It's just under $20 at Gogamer.  It's also available in the underworld, but it's a weird version where the installer is in Russian but it's actually an English game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: For X-COM: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense lovers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »
I've always wondered about the game.  I didn't know it had been so heavily modded... I may actually have to pick it up based on this recommendation.  I was actually playing the Playstation version of UFO Defense emulated on my PSP for a while.  Wonky, but still fun as hell.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
UFO: Aftermath has joined GOG - and is $5.99.
UFO: Aftershock will soon be joining GOG, as well - at $9.99.
As you know, all GOG games are DRM-Free.

UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock set to invade the classic catalogue at GOG.com.

Once again we're proud to announce that we've signed an agreement to bring more Good Old Games to GOG.com's extensive catalogue. The deal with 1C Company brings two parts of the sci-fi strategy series, UFO, with the first installment, UFO: Aftermath, now available at GOG.com for only $5.99, while UFO: Aftershock will be available soon for $9.99. The UFO series is a mix of real-time strategy and turn-based squad combat with RPG elements that should appeal to a huge group of fans of good, old games!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »
I was excited for a second thinking Scottws was back.

Thanks D. :-|

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
I was excited for a second thinking Scottws was back.

Thanks D. :-|

You're welcome/I'm sorry.