Author Topic: Amazon Gift Cards?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Amazon Gift Cards?
« on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
Not sure if this would be the route to take, but I'm thinking about buying myself an Amazon gift card. See, I preordered a game from Amazon, and they don't charge you until the game ships. To me, it would be a lot easier to have the money removed from my account now, so I can't inadvertently spend myself below that amount between now and then.

So I'm wondering, can I buy an Amazon gift card, input the code on my own Amazon account, and then the preorder take from that instead of my bank account? Anyone ever these and know how they work?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Amazon Gift Cards?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Yes.

I use Amazon gift cards on a regular basis.  If you have a game on preorder, as long as it doesn't ship, you can modify the payment options.  So once you've added the gift card to your account, go into your order and say apply gift card payment or something like that.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
Alright cool, thanks. I think I got it.

I don't see an option for using the gift card balance when I try to change the payment method. But when I go to Your Account and then click View Gift Certificate/Card Balance, I see this:

Current Balance:$60.98
Your balance will never expire. We'll automatically apply your balance towards your next eligible purchase.

So I'm guessing that's all I need to do.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
Hmmm... you should see an option within your order to apply the gift card balance to your order, unless it's different between amazon.com and amazon.ca.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
This is what I get when I go to change payment method:

If I go to "View Gift Certificate/Card Balance", I get this:

$60.98 is the exact amount for the game I preordered ($59.99 + $0.99 release date delivery), so that's how much I set the gift card at.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 06:58:58 AM »
Go back to the Order Summary page.  I'm wondering if there's a way for you to apply the gift card amount there.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
OK there, I found it. What I was doing was going to My Orders and it shows all orders, open ones and ones that have been charged, shipped, and delivered. From there I was clicking on the Change Payment Method button. When I went to the page for my game preorder instead, it had a big header that said "you have $60.98 in gift card credit, click this button to apply the gift credit to this order."

Thanks for the help. I really don't like the idea of needing to remember how much money in my account is already spent, despite still being in there. Even if I kept books on it and saw the difference, it would drive me nuts.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »
No problem.