Author Topic: Quake Live  (Read 6506 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Quake Live
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »
what else would need to be massively multiuser other than games?
A database.

I always thought the "Online" in the MMO tag suggested that it required a connection to an external server as oppose to classic multiplayer games (e.g. Quake 2) which you could create a server yourself or even LAN.
Concept is really the same either way in a technical sense.  If you create a server yourself, it's still a server.  Even if you connect to and play on a server on the same computer that is running it, it's still a client connecting to a server.  And everyone else that plays on your server would be connecting to a server external to their PC whether they are out in the cloud or in the same subnet.  Besides, almost all worthwhile game servers are hosted by hosting companies that actually have decent hardware and data pipes to handle online games.

The only real difference is that a company with a MMOG generally runs all the servers, while other online games have servers that can be run by pretty much anyone.

In essence, I agree that the "O" in "MMO" is redundant.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 07, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
so, anyone else get in on the beta? i can't really participate at the moment due to my lack of net access at home.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 07, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »
You suck.  I signed up, but haven't gotten an email or anything.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 07, 2008, 08:55:22 PM »
Me either. I did get into the Battlefield Heroes beta. If Im ever bored I might download it and give it a whirl.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Quake Live leaves "beta" status and offers two subscription modes.

id Software LLC, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced that QUAKE LIVE has exited beta and "Premium" and "Pro" subscriptions will be available later today. QUAKE LIVE, a free-to-play first person shooter that can be played in a web browser, now offers players the ability to enhance their current free-to-play experience.

The Premium Subscription, which can be purchased for $1.99 per month, billed annually, includes:

· Access to 20 QUAKE LIVE Premium only maps at launch with more to come. Premium maps are a combination of brand new maps and frequently requested community favorites from previous QUAKE games such as Aerowalk, Theater of Pain, Japanese Castles, and Realm of Steel Rats;
· An all new "Freeze Tag" game mode;
· Exclusive premium level awards;
· Create your own clan and join up to five separate clans;
· Custom QUAKE LIVE profile wallpaper; and
· Match statistics stored for six months.

The Pro Subscription, which can be purchased for $3.99 per month, billed annually, includes all of the premium subscription features as well as:

· The ability to start your own game server, specify a server location, determine the game mode and invite who you want to join you;
· With the Pro Subscription, you can invite three friends with Standard level memberships to play with you in any Premium level map;
· Exclusive pro awards;
· Create your own clan and join up to ten separate clans; and
· Match statistics stored for 12 months.

The QUAKE LIVE "Standard" version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with more than 40 arenas and five game modes.

To create a QUAKE LIVE account and for more information please visit: http://www.quakelive.com.
I'll stick with my regular Q3 install, where Freeze Tag and all the custom maps I want are free, but for $3.99 a month thats really cheap for being able to create your own server. Most server rental places will charge that per-slot per-month.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 09:29:32 PM »
If people would actually play the fucking game with me, I'd pay for that shit.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
You know I'm always down for Q3. I wish QL didnt have certain hard-coded server variables that make it impossible for me to play. I liked it other than that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #47 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »