Author Topic: Deathspank releases July 13/14  (Read 2250 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Deathspank releases July 13/14
« on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
Thats seemed to come out of nowhere.
Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and leading independent developer Hothead Games announced today that the upcoming downloadable action-RPG, DeathSpank™, will be released on July 13th for PlayStation®Network and July 14th for Xbox LIVE® Arcade. Gain quests from a colorful cast of characters, and vanquish evil with fast and furious action as DeathSpank scours the world for a mystical artifact. Developed under the direction of The Secret of Monkey Island creator and industry icon Ron Gilbert, DeathSpank combines Gilbert’s unique humor and wit with fast, addictive action-RPG gameplay, making for a hilarious and massive epic quest for justice.

The game puts players in the mighty boots of DeathSpank, the “Dispenser of Justice”, “Vanquisher of Evil” and “Hero to the Downtrodden”. His life-long destiny is to embark on an epic journey in search of a mysterious artifact known only as, “The Artifact”. DeathSpank will feature local co-op gameplay, allowing friends to team up on the same console as both DeathSpank and his trusty sidekick, Sparkles the Wizard. Sparkles’ abilities are magical, serving as the perfect complement to DeathSpank’s weapons-based attacks as the duo battle against the intolerant minions of injustice.
No word yet on a PC release.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Deathspank releases July 13/14
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 11:49:40 PM »
Played the demo, and it's very compelling.  I probably will end up buying this at some point.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »
This is very cool.  It did seem to come out of nowhere, but it has been in development for several years.  The reviews have it pegged right, more or less, and I'm not going to regurgitate them here.  While the game feels grand most of the time, it often betrays the small force responsible for it.  It can't escape the indie feel, and that's not a bad thing per se.  The disadvantage lies in some of the genre details which are somewhat bare.  The inventory system, while adequate, won't set any trends.  It also needs just a bit more polish on the context-sensitive controls, and a lot more polish on auto-targeting.  There's nothing more frustrating than watching a road sign get covered with your arrows while 2 unsightly beasts close in fast.  Wasting a special attack, against a door you're trying simply to open, happens less frequently, but it should never happen when the button legends have changed from weapons to handling actions.  This at least I hope they address with a patch.

That's about it for negatives, however.  The game is huge and beautiful.  I love the art style (which can be easily checked online).  Motion is very fluid (I can only speak for X360) with occasional stutters during autosaves and area changes.  (By that I don't mean new screens; the game streams/scrolls smoothly at all times except while teleporting.)  Discovering the entire landscape took me 2 days of heavy playing.  There's a lot to see and do, with dozens of main and side quests.  The tone is always whimsical, with some LOL moments here and there.  I'm old and jaded, so I imagine many others will find it even funnier.  There is a lot of voice recorded for the humorous dialog, which I'm sure has something to do with the 1GB download size. 

The action can get intense, and it's all fluid and quite pretty.  I can attest to the Diablo-style addiction, for me anyway.  The puzzles are generally satisfying to solve, and if you stop having fun with any one of them, you can use fortune cookies (collectible here and there) to unlock some hints.  Difficulty is adjustable.  On the normal setting, it's more than challenging enough for me.  I've died multiple times already, with only a couple of those deaths being cheap shots.  There is a great deal of variety in the weapons.  As you progress, you earn new abilities which involve combining some of them.  I have yet to see all the special attacks.  There are also many, many special potions and powers (in the form of "orbs") to keep things interesting.  It gets hard to choose what equipment to keep and what to discard.  (Diablo once again.)  All in all, a terrific effort, and undoubtedly worth the asking price.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 09, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
Just jumping int to say I'm having a lot of fun with it too. I agree with everything Cobra said.

One thing that isn't explained all that well is the "dispense justice" special attack. It took me a while to figure out just how to do this special attack. You simply attack, but with a weapon that has at least one "^" upward pointing carrot in the lower left corner. Each weapon has a relatively unique attack. (some stun, some hit one target hard, others hit multiple targets)

Also, I wouldn't mind shops having something to compare the items you're looking at to the ones you're wearing.

Also, I feel like the hunger for loot is a little lessened by the setting to auto-equip whatever armor is best. Sure, you want upgrades, but you don't have to sort through loot to decide what to use. Even weapons, which don't auto-equip if they're better, still are highlighted green if they're the best for that slot.

These are just minor complaints though. I'm still having a lot of fun with it. One thing that I really do like is the direct character control. Yes, there's targeting issues sometimes, but just something about moving your character instead of clicking where you want him to go just appeals to me more. (comparing to Diablo/Torchlight) It's very minor and hard to explain fully, but something about it just grabs me more.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 09, 2010, 10:14:02 PM »
Quick tip to keep your sanity:  When you earn 2-weapon special attacks, *hold down* the elemental weapon button, then press the justice weapon button.  (Map these to adjacent buttons.)  It took me over a day to figure this out.  I kept trying to press the 2 together, with the attack failing most of the time and draining the justice meter.

Play on Hard and learn to block.  A perfect block fills the justice meter.  The game is the most fun this way.

You can get 100% resistance (immunity) to elemental attacks with the proper armor sets.  If you want to try that, turn off the auto-equip armor thing.  The color of the word "RESIST" when you get hit tells you which element you're getting attacked with.  Red for fire, blue for ice, yellow for undeath, and green for nature.  That's assuming you have some resistance for that element, of course.

I wish I could find a reason to play through it again.  Once at each difficulty seems more than enough.  I loved it, but I want more.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »
So is the combined elemental attack (I just got fire+cleaver, but don't have a fire weapon atm) only for justice attacks? I was assuming it was usable any time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »
Rune + elemental weapon (covered by rune) + justice weapon (covered by rune) = unique strong special attack when justice meter is full.  There are (I think) 9 runes to get one way or another.  So yes, only for justice attacks.  That's why it's important to learn the 2-button technique that works every time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
So, like, the sequel comes out next month. I'm as shocked as you are.

Still no word on a PC version, which makes me sad. Though maybe we'll get both of these in one package. That would be nice.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »
Word is they were working on the sequel right along with the first game.  Maybe it's the planned episodic thing.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 23, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
I'll most likely buy it. The first wasn't amazing or anything, but it was fun and held my attention through to the end.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
PC and Mac versions coming this month

All I see is Steam...I may be up for some disappointment in the near future.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
So far, it looks like I called this one.  On Hothead's forum, I hit a nerve when I mentioned piracy a couple of months ago as the reason the game was not released on the PC.  The ensuing arguments led to a series of posts detailing my take on the overall picture.  My conclusion was that DS would appear on PCs, but only after the bulk of the sure money had come in on the consoles.  Then a staffer sent me a smiling PM thanking me for my "contributions in the PC thread".  The company line is that EA determines distribution; but there's more than that going on behind the scenes.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »
This isn't surprising. It seems like that's the first thing any developer thinks of when the idea of a PC release is mentioned: piracy. Yes, it's gotten bad, but I think it's been talked about so much that it's made a bit bigger than it really is, and thus devs and publishers are paranoid about actually doing a PC release.