Author Topic: Unannounced NVidia Tech showing off Tessellation features and COD: Black Ops  (Read 2503 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Unannounced NVidia Tech showing off Tessellation features and COD: Black Ops
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »
Yea the GTX580. Will be coming on Nov 8th according to Fudzilla.

Basically this is now the true potential of the Fermi chip -- i.e. the GTX 4 series. If you guys remember, that was thing that got delayed by six months and then came too hot and too power hungry. But it was an amazing piece of tech... the most GPGPU we had ever seen.

As amazing as it was, and as much as everyone was drooling over it, it just wasn't good enough for gamers.

Well, it looks like the GTX580 is a refinement of that architecture.

The cooler for that thing has gone through refinement as well. It is now a vapor chamber.

edit:

It is now a vapor chamber, and is helping the 580 run cooler than the 280 even!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1044181/how-heatpipes-vapor-chambers

They haven't said anything about power though. :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Unannounced NVidia Tech showing off Tessellation features and COD: Black Ops
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
I am sure the power requirements will make my PSU cry.  It's crazy how fast power requirements have gone up.  My current supply is a 550W.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 11, 2010, 01:51:48 AM »
No it should be fine on that. Just read the review on ananad tech. They were very positive.

I should probably not visit ow from my mobile. My last post needs some editing heh. I am on my mobile even now. I should try that tappa app heh.