Author Topic: God Of War III Trailer  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: God Of War III Trailer
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
I hope I don't sound annoying, but I don't see what you are talking about. :P

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Yea I'm inclined to agree with Pug. I never can understand arguments, in terms of the 360 and the PS3, of how a particular console game can only be made on one console and not the other. I mean I know the PS3 is supposed to have a slight upper hand because of it's hardware but I stress again that it's only slightly better. I still think games like MGS4 and Killzone 2 can be done on the 360.

Damn I just opened up quite the can of worms with this didn't I.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
Damn I just opened up quite the can of worms with this didn't I.

hehe...

As we've discussed before, because of 360's much friendlier development environment, PS3's on-paper hardware advantage is only impressive on paper. It seems most cross platform titles end up being a bit better on the 360.

I can see certain games like MGS4 and Final Fantasy 13, where the bluray medium provides a definite advantage, to be better products on the PS3. Likewise, a game like Heavy Rain would be absolutely impossible to do on the 360, because of the lack of standard motion control support.

But God of War III? I don't see why it would be a significantly better game on the PS3.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
hehe...

As we've discussed before, because of 360's much friendlier development environment, PS3's on-paper hardware advantage is only impressive on paper. It seems most cross platform titles end up being a bit better on the 360.

But God of War III? I don't see why it would be a significantly better game on the PS3.

As time goes on and developers get more comfortable with the hardware, the more difficult developing environment becomes a non-factor.  Most cross platform titles do end up being better on the 360, but mostly because they're developed for 360 first then ported over to the PS3.  Burnout Paradise was the first to be developed for the PS3 and then ported to 360 and it was actually the better version.  Developers (especially first and second party devs) are starting to get that extra bit out of the PS3 hardware. 

After playing just a few hours of the game I don't believe for a second you could make God of War III run as smoothly and be as pretty on the 360.  I have not played a game on 360 to even remotely convince me of it

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
I just finished it a little while ago and it is definitely the best out of all three of the games.  What a great end to the series.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
Here we go.  Fan boys and flame wars FTW.

The PS3's convoluted architecture is not its only weakness.  It also has a severe memory disadvantage.  Additionally, the 360 has independent scaling hardware, meaning that relatively simple OS updates can handle all new screen comers natively.  The PS3 places the burden of adapting game resolution to display resolution on the game code's plate, further adding to the memory woes, and causing issues for users of certain displays.  That includes otherwise stellar games (e.g., Burnout: Paradise).

The PS3 has by far the bigger storage medium.  However, that size comes at a price.  Bluray is inherently slower than DVD to access randomly.  The solution often seems to be mandated partial installation to HDD, which of course would also solve the storage-size disadvantage on the 360 side.  Once disc swapping goes away, I see no reason why either console can't shine equally with any game vision from this generation of developers.  That very much includes Final Fantasy XIII, which is a relatively shoddy effort on the Microsoft platform, perhaps for reasons internal to Square Enix, Sony, or both.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »
Here we go.  Fan boys and flame wars FTW.

In my case you would be extremely wrong.  I own all three systems, and Que for one can vouch for how much I defend the 360 on here.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Before this slips into another topic, I just want to add some thoughts on the game now that I've finished it (started yesterday, didn't stop until early this morning... paid for that one today).

I felt like the game was a more interesting game than a great game, which I didn't entirely expect. I was thinking it would be more about giant epic scenes and, while that stuff was there in droves, that wasn't were I felt the real meat of the game was. There was a lot of moments where quicktime events were more about making you conscious of what Kratos and, by extension, are going. It made me think of an article that (I think) GPW posted a while ago about Shadow of the Colossus that argued that the control scheme was the way it was in order to make you actively think about the killing you were doing. GoW III had a lot of moments like that which fits in with the overall story. Finishing the game, I felt similar to when I did when I finished MGS4 in that I felt satisfied with how things ended and as though the whole experience left an impression on me. That feeling was far better than anything the game proper did, but that's also a great thing few games achieve. It helps when you have a series that has years of history, but they also managed to give some feeling to Kratos's story that was barely present in the previous games.

That said, the game itself is pretty great. There are lots of great boss fights and some clever levels. Not much new there, but it's all plays at least as good as the first two.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
Haha, I'm actually a little puzzled why you aren't so excited about this one since you bought Dante's Inferno.

Yeah, but Dante was a whim purchase.  I played it once, for a couple of hours.  Now I'm back to not playing games at all again.

I don't know.  I must be broken.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
Before this slips into another topic . . .

I'm done.  Hearing that System X flatly can't do what its contemporary System Y can do compels me to respond, and I've done that.  Sorry for going OT.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 12:32:41 AM »
My copy didn't arrive today :(.  I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
9.0 from GameSpot
Video Review.
Written Review.

Oh man, the violence shown in that video review is EPIC.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
Finished just a few minutes ago.  Amazing game.  By far the frontrunner for GOTY so far.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 03:19:33 AM »

;D

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
Hahaha!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »
"The God of Christianity has abandoned me...now there is no hope"

And Kratos cast himself from the highest mountain in all of the holy lands.  After ten years of suffering, ten years of endless nightmares, it would finally come to an end

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »
Finally started this game today.  Great stuff so far.  Playing on Titan (hard) difficulty though, and it is very challenging.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #57 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
Finally GOT to DIVE INTO thIS. HOLY SHIT WHAT AN OPENING. Like YOU WOULD expect the game GOES FAR and BEYOND to how EPIC IT CAN BE. SORRY about my CAPS being ALL WACKY, ITS HARD TO TYPE ABOUT THIS GAME WITHOUT IT!!!11!!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
Still on GoW2, but the first two had some crazy openings as well.

OK only the second one did.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
God of War III is an amazing game.  I think I'm nearing the end now and it is a blast, while remaining a fair challenge (on hard).  I should be finishing it in the next couple of days.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 02:23:27 PM »
Yea I just finished it, fucking fantastic. The sheer scale of shit that goes down is insane, loved it all the way to the end. Its probably the easiest game out of the 3 but I still found it challenging in spots and there never really was an instance where I got frustrated with the combat. They made quicktime events more easy to read and the button tapping sequences are much more tolerable. That just made the experience so much better to enjoy, it was blast. Theres also a crap ton of dev videos you unlock after beating it, always loved those.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
I just finished it up on Titan a couple of minutes ago and it was fantastic.  A couple of the fights were difficult on Titan and required probably 10+ tries to get past, but overall, it wasn't too bad. 

I'm gonna go and do the challenges.  I might also hit up the main story again to get the last handful of trophies I missed.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
Yahtzee's review

It's so true when he says that he feels the right thing to do would be to stop playing GoW3 because of what Kratos is doing. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #63 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Haha yea, I pretty much agreed with most of what he said.

How many challenges have you done iPPi? I checked them out and managed to pull off the first 3, the 4th one seemed really hard so I stopped there.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »
I've done the first and last one only thus far.  Haven't tried any of the other ones; just read each of the description to see which ones were easy. 

Edit:  Put just over an hour in and finished all the challenges up.  None of the challenges really stood out as particularly difficult for me.  Definitely easy compared to GoW and GoW2 challenges.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:22:50 PM by iPPi »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
Apparently the God of War official site has the trilogy soundtrack and the Blood & Metal EP available for download. 

Links located here.  This might be limited time or a mistake so download it ASAP if you're interested.

Edit: The Blood and Metal link appears to be dead... the trilogy link works though.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #66 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 06:48:07 AM »
Well that takes away just a little of the glory of me buying the Ultimate Edition.

Actually there is no glory in me buying the ultimate edition...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
Apparently the God of War official site has the trilogy soundtrack and the Blood & Metal EP available for download. 

Links located here.  This might be limited time or a mistake so download it ASAP if you're interested.

Edit: The Blood and Metal link appears to be dead... the trilogy link works though.

Yeah, the 2nd link downloaded all of 223 bytes.  The 1st one is moving along nicely on a 300MB download.  I understand the name of the 1st.  What's the significance of the 2nd?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #68 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
It's the score from all 3 games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
This must have gone with his review. Its awesome.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
So I started the game today, and having already played a bulk of GT5 and seen Uncharted 2 in action, I am starting to see where the following statement from K-Man comes from.

After playing just a few hours of the game I don't believe for a second you could make God of War III run as smoothly and be as pretty on the 360.  I have not played a game on 360 to even remotely convince me of it

God of War 3 is the most impressive looking game I've seen on console. GT5 is pretty fantastic in its own way as well.

I have two dozen games on my 360 and nothing looks anything close to GoW3.

The most amazing thing is how smoothly GoW3 runs. None of the 360 exclusives lead me to believe that the machine is capable of matching the PS3 when a game fully utilizes the hardware.

The other thing is that the vast majority of 360 games are running at 720p, and they still suffer from framerate issues. Cross platform PS3 games aside, the are a lot of PS3 games that run on full HD and just look breathtaking.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
Yea God of War III looks amazing.  It's really fun and challenging too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Who are you quoting there, Pug?  I couldn't find any Xbox bashing in the linked article.

Edit:  Oh, n/m.  K-man.  Missed that before.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »
Well, not bashing the Xbox. I have both. Heck, I have a PC as well. K-Man has both as well.

Just speaking of graphics on an technical level, save for Crysis, I don't know of a single title on any platform that looks as good as God of War 3 or Gran Turismo 5.

I am thinking the Xbox may have peaked in those terms.

Crytek are developing Codename: Kingdoms for the 360 though. They are looking to push what the console is capable of. Let's see what they come up with.

Yea God of War III looks amazing.  It's really fun and challenging too.

I have found that the GoW games have gotten easier with every installment. The first one was definitely the hardest.

I also tire of this gimmick where Kratos is depowered at the beginning of each game. I bet they could have worked some way to challenge even his superpowers.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
Yea I too don't like having all this power at the start only to lose it all.  It bothered me most in God of War II.  For God of War III it was to be expected so I didn't find it as disappointing.

I found GoW III to be quite challenging though.  I was playing on Brutal though.