Author Topic: Valve has lots of money.  (Read 4740 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Valve has lots of money.
« on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
Exhibit A
Exhibit B

Maybe they will eventually hire some actual tech support staff. Or competent programmers.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:53:58 PM by idolminds »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: Valve has lots of money.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »
I wish I had lots of money.

That's all.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
Exhibit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
Forbes says Valve's more valuable than Apple and Google.
Forbes would be right.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
Exhibit.
Weird, Firefox spell checking did not pick up on the error. Maybe it thought it was still part of the URL.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
It's always nice when the people with the most money are the ones that least deserve it.  Go Capitalism!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
It's always nice when the people with the most money are the ones that least deserve it.  Go Capitalism!

Oh come on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 03:41:34 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
OK who the hell is this guy?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
Xzibit, hes a rapper. Also a meme.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
I hate Valve.  Completely.  I thought everyone understood this fact and had ceased to find it worthy of comment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »
I hate Valve.  Completely.  I thought everyone understood this fact and had ceased to find it worthy of comment.
Valve does a great job w/ their constant sales and price-slashing on PC games.
I cannot say the same for Retail for PC games, for the most part.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
OHHHHH SNAP QUE..YOU JUST GOT MYSTERD'ED

WHATCHOO GONNA DO NOW?!?!?!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
You're going to have a seizure in the rain?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »

Look, I certainly don't begrudge you for hating Valve.  They engage in some practices that I find particularly shady.  However, to say they are undeserving of their wealth is either ignorance or stupidity on your part.  They managed to ride the success of the Half-Life series and create the de facto gaming platform model for PC, essentially beating Microsoft, who was in a much better situation to create something like that, to the punch.  They made some very intelligent business moves and are getting paid.  You can fault them for a lot, but not that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »
I can't?  I don't like their games, I don't like their attitude, I don't like their business practices, and I think Steam is a destructive entity that shouldn't exist.  Why can't I?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
I can't?  I don't like their games, I don't like their attitude, I don't like their business practices, and I think Steam is a destructive entity that shouldn't exist.  Why can't I?

Because they earned their money.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
Via products and services that I don't think deserved to make the money they did.  Where's the confusion here?  I'm not saying everyone in the world has to agree with me.  Obviously they don't because they handed over cash and continue to do so, and Valve earned their money by giving them things they would pay for.  But I still don't think the jerks did anything worthy of their amassed wealth.  By the same token you could say drug dealers deserve their money because they're just giving people what they want.  I'm not really comparing Valve to drug dealers, I'm just saying in my estimation, they're doing more harm than good.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
eh, we'll agree to disagree.  Although I do have to admit I firmly believe your stance on Valve would be different if they were up and coming, or struggling in some degree.  I have to admit that I feel like you hate on things sometimes based solely on their popularity or success.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
I don't like Valve as a company but will not deny that their games are good. 

When they were simply a one hit wonder (Half-Life only), I was skeptical that Valve would be able to live up to the hype of the sequel, but they did, and with Portal as well, I think Valve makes good games.  I haven't played Left 4 Dead or TF2 though but I'm sure they are good games as well.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
Current debate aside, you have to admit this kinda came out of nowhere. I know Valve was doing good, but this good? With just a few quality games and an online store they've managed to make buckets of money. That's pretty amazing considering they can't even finish a three to four hour game for which the engine is done, the backstory is created, and more or less all the characters are in place.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »
I haven't played Left 4 Dead or TF2 though but I'm sure they are good games as well.
Yes, all of those Valve games are pretty good, too - if you ask me.

Current debate aside, you have to admit this kinda came out of nowhere. I know Valve was doing good, but this good? With just a few quality games and an online store they've managed to make buckets of money. That's pretty amazing considering they can't even finish a three to four hour game for which the engine is done, the backstory is created, and more or less all the characters are in place.
Valve has made it the service to join, instead of Valve begging publishers and dev's to join them. That's why G4WL is failing - b/c its features are nowhere as robust as Steam. We can go on and on about how Steam has ALL the gamers so ridiculously well-connected w/ each other here - this is why they are succeeding so well.

The huge and always hopping forums; The Wish-Lists; SDK's for their games; backing up games w/ Archiving; DRM that is more relaxed than most modern DRM; a side-bar telling me what my friends bought recently; My Friends List telling me what my friends are playing right now; profiles describing details of what your friends are playing and their Achievements; Achievements in general; etc etc. Does Impulse do any or much of this? What about Gamersgate?

Do big-time dev's and piracy fear PC piracy that much? Probably - since I'll bet you, getting their game on Steam has probably often either saved their asses or generated ridiculous sums of money. Put your game on Steam, expect guaranteed sales - b/c the hardcore "I Love Steam and Valve" fanbase will buy your game. Throw up a sale before retail and at a much cheaper price - expect those waiting for price-drops and sales to also then throw their credit card in.

Shit, even despite crazy and rampant piracy, Modern Warfare 2 PC and Black Ops PC pulled in over $100 dollars last year. No wonder Activision is looking into getting B-Net to sell 3rd party games soon.

Valve has people that don't like them...STILL using them. How many times on places have I seen like Shacknews, gamers say "Damn you, Valve and your sales!" or "I was opting for The Retail version...but dammit, Valve and their sales!" That says a lot, if you ask me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
eh, we'll agree to disagree.  Although I do have to admit I firmly believe your stance on Valve would be different if they were up and coming, or struggling in some degree.  I have to admit that I feel like you hate on things sometimes based solely on their popularity or success.

Well, I don't think you have any evidence to support that stance.  I support companies and franchises I appreciate.  I'm a huge Dead Space fan even though I fucking hate EA, and the series is immensely popular.  I've picked up lots of AAA titles in the last number of years, many of which I enjoyed just fine.  I like Impulse and Stardock better than Valve and Steam because of what the company and product offer by comparison to the competition, but I still don't love digital distribution the way a lot of people do and have said so.  I didn't like what Valve was doing when Steam was first announced, I was generally standoffish about it from the beginning.  I did like the original Half-life, but I think Portal is one of the most overrated games of all time, and while I was mildly amused by Left 4 Dead and Half-life 2, I didn't love either one and got bored with them very quickly.  If you compare The Darkness with Half-life 2, it should be plainly obvious which has the stronger narrative, the better overall story, better characters, more emotion.  That has nothing to do with the popularity of either, just the substance of what they are (and of course my own opinion).  When all Valve had done was Half-life, I still didn't think they deserved quite all the praise they got, but I had no ill will.  It was a fun game, good for them, they supported the mod community and it was all good times.  I was eager as anyone to see where they would go.  When I heard about Steam, I was instantly skeptical and mistrustful.  That only continued to grow through their business practices and shoddy service, and I feel absolutely justified in my view of them.  My gripes with Steam are well documented, both the ideological ones and the tangible ones directly related to my use of the service, and I view their other practices as I do based on my own personal sense of what should or shouldn't be done.

I wasn't trying to start an argument.  It was a simple statement of my feelings.  I don't think those people deserve nearly the recognition and money they've received.  Just my own view on the matter based on nothing more than a company repelling me.  I used to be a humongous fan of Blizzard, and that didn't even change after World of Warcraft despite my disappointment that the next installment of the series would be subscription-based.  But the way they're going now?  They're beginning to repel me.  I don't like the decisions they're making.  Epic too a bit.  I've played their games since the beginning, and their success wasn't something that repelled me until it began to change their actions as a company.

Anyway, not trying to get all defensive here, just trying to explain.  I don't think your view of me is fair.  You've said the above-quoted before and I never understood why, nor do I now.  Many of my favorite things are somewhat under the radar because a lot of what I like happens to be less popular with others, but that's no reason to accuse me of somehow being incapable of objectivity.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 01:34:03 AM »
What is sad is that the creators of Farmville are worth 10 billion.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »
Que I had drawn up a lengthy response, but it just isn't worth it.  I was a little heavy handed with my remark and I apologize.

I still don't wholly get your hard on for The Darkness though.  Inventive ways of telling a story, which was by far the game's strong point, but that's really all it had going for it.  The environments were extremely barren and some of the game play was very suspect.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
It's all good, man.  No sweat.

And I understand what you mean about The Darkness, but it struck a chord with me.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game and wish more games attempted to do more in that vein.  I won't say it was perfect, some of the game was a bit wonky and I'll give you that, but I felt the rest of it made up for it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #31 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 12:16:34 AM »
I had some problems with Steam a year or so ago and absolutely hated it. But within the past year I've had no problems and my stance is almost reversed. I've bought games for good prices, had good download speeds and no problems with Steam.

Some competition would be MOST welcome, though.