Author Topic: Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games  (Read 2025 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games
« on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 02:32:42 PM »
We'll see more of these stories in the future.

The title of the article (and this thread) is not entirely accurate. I saw the original Reddit posts last week, and according to the guy this happened to he didn't end up selling or trading the account. The Steam TOS does say you can't sell your account but does even making the offer count as that? Can Valve preemptively ban you from selling?

It seems Valve has re-enabled the account (which seems to indicate the guy was telling the truth that he didn't sell it), but its still one of those things that people need to be aware of when using services like this. We're going to need one of these cases to go to court eventually so it can be made clear what we (and they) can do.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
With more and more services wanting activations and that you're required to tie your games to an account  - like Steam and EA Download Manager does, yeah - we're gonna see more and more stories of this ilk...

Seriously - IMHO, forums bans or suspensions are one thing, yet taking games away is another. These two should NEVER be tied together.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Hence my inflexible rule never to have online requirements forced on me.

The guy is a customer to the tune of $1800.  Yet this outfit takes away everything that money bought because they didn't like what he was doing with it.  And piracy is supposed to be theft?