Author Topic: The man who killed Tribes  (Read 2343 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
The man who killed Tribes
« on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:00:48 AM »
Part 1

Not sure what this contains, but Im posting it here so I can remember to read it when I get back home.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: The man who killed Tribes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Interesting read though I think they could've gone deeper. I remember all to well what happened with Sierra and how they handled T2. The game was buggy and some of the patches did more harm than good (they made the game worse for me at one point).

I also think Dynamix (or what was left of them) did a bad job of handling user feedback at the start. They were, to my knowledge, the first ones to have in game community support and of course you'll hear a lot of negativity on official forums/chat/etc. I remember all the shit about the rocket launcher, shocklance, etc. People just weren't used to having unique weapons (I actually liked that the rocket launcher couldn't 'dumb fire') and the game was too young at that point for users to realize the full potential.

As far as Vengeance, Chris Mahnken tries to blame the publisher for not letting them *finish* multiplayer. I think the problem was that it wasn't a priority in the first place. I think Vengeance was more of a novelty game in the Tribes universe rather than a full sequel. A full sequel should've been T2 with better graphics and netcode, with the original T1 speed (T2 Classic, etc.). Performance should've been the first priority since that's what plagued T2 the most. For me, Vengeance ran like shit; it ran worse than UT2k3 even though it was the same engine.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
As far as Vengeance, Chris Mahnken tries to blame the publisher for not letting them *finish* multiplayer. I think the problem was that it wasn't a priority in the first place.

Yea even in that, when asked what game he was trying to make, he said "a navy seals game". Basically that's what he was working on, and what he wanted to do, but instead he had to do Tribes.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »
Yeah, he doesn't sound all that enthusiastic about it, though maybe that's more regret after all these years.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
I really liked Tribes: V's SP and thought it was pretty good, but the MP was an after-thought...

But, I think most people have always played Tribes series games for the MP side of things. "The powers that be" should've did what was done w/ The Unreal series - split it up b/t full-fledged SP and MP games.

Seriously - Unreal 2 (SP) and UT games (MP) were all stellar b/c they were their own full-fledged thing entirely.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
Unreal 2 sucked. It was a half-assed attempt at greatness.

Tribes 2 was definitely the best in multiplayer in the series. Tribes: Vengeance had a great singleplayer campaign definitely.

The closest I'm enjoying to Tribes right now is Global Agenda, but since it's an MMO I got bored of it pretty quickly. If you're into MMO's you might like it.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
And Global Agenda is by Hi-Rez Studios who are making the new Tribes games.