Author Topic: New free to play Battlefield  (Read 2578 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
New free to play Battlefield
« on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »
If you're into that sort of thing.
Battlefield Play4Free is, hyper-confusingly, a Battlefield game – using Battlefield 2’s most popular maps and Battlefield Bad Company 2’s weapon and class set – you can play for free.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: New free to play Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 09:00:08 AM »
I guess Battlefield Heroes worked out well enough for EA.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
New updated PC engine with HD console quality graphics – high resolution artwork and post-processing effects
Remember when PC was the benchmark for graphics?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
Remember when PC was the benchmark for graphics?

It still is.
Just look at some of the stuff Two Worlds 2 has going on w/ DX 11 settings cranked-up.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
Oh, the times they are a-changin'....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »
Oh, the times they are a-changin'....

No, they are not.
DICE and EA just spitting console-propaganda here.

I'm sorry, but both Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 2 will prove where PC gaming's graphics are going.

And I'm sure Crysis 2 will still look really good - even if it's multi-platformed.
Same goes for Rage.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 15, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »
I go into the Battlefield Play4Free beta. To sum it up.. Y'know how newly released EA/DICE games are basically betas? Yeah.. Their betas are in what appears to be an internal alpha state. Barely functional, etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 15, 2011, 07:30:15 AM »
I go into the Battlefield Play4Free beta. To sum it up.. Y'know how newly released EA/DICE games are basically betas? Yeah.. Their betas are in what appears to be an internal alpha state. Barely functional, etc.

For those reasons, I've never bought a brand new DICE game upon its original release...
I always wait a little bit.
Usually seems to work out for me. :)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 03:43:17 AM »
I can't even get the damn thing to put me in game. I finally got it to load up and let me setup my soldier, but "play now" seems to be code for "lock up for 10 minutes, then return to previous menu".

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »
I can't even get the damn thing to put me in game. I finally got it to load up and let me setup my soldier, but "play now" seems to be code for "lock up for 10 minutes, then return to previous menu".
Yeah, it takes a while to load the match. I see it sitting on the "Joining game" part for a full 5 minutes before it tells me "Server full."

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 04, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
Battlefield Play 4 Free is out now in release form, or however you want to say it.

I downloaded and tried it out. It's not bad, though it's sort of jittery on and off. I don't know whether or not I can blame my connection or the game. Otherwise it's not bad. It reminds me of older battlefield games, just because of the size of the maps and the inclusion of planes. It's not taking forever to get into a match like it was before. My only real complaint is that you can't access the options menu if you're in a match. I entered a match, and my mouse sensitivity was too low. I had to leave the match to adjust it, got back into another game, and it was too high. Leave game, adjust sensitivity, and finally in a game and set with a useable mouse setting.

I'm sort of liking the upgrade/weapon system they have. You gain silver coins through playing, and gold coins are bought through an online store. You can spend a small amount of coins to unlock a weapon for 1 day, or a little more for 3 days, or more to unlock it forever. I played 2 games, and that gave me over twice what I needed to unlock the P90 for a day. I played one more game and made up that amount, and bought an MP7 for a day. I noticed though that there's at least one weapon (UMP for engineers) that can only be bought with gold coins. Clothing and such looks like it's only gold coins, but it also seems to be purely cosmetic.

There's also a skill tree unlock system. You periodically gain skill unlock points, which you can use in WoW-esque unlock trees. Some examples are the ability to see which direction you're taking damage from, an on-screen indicator when a grenade lands near you, the ability to sprint faster, climb ladders faster, more ammo for your rocket launcher, etc. I didn't even realize it at first while playing, but a lot of the standard CoD/BF stuff you might expect is stripped out and you need to spec for it. You also need to spend talent points to learn how to drive tanks, helicopters, and airplanes.