Author Topic: Fancy Pants Adventures (XBLA, PSN)  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Fancy Pants Adventures (XBLA, PSN)
« on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »
It's out.  This came out of nowhere for me.  I played through the trial yesterday, and found it had a great deal of polish to it.  Movement in this 2D platformer is floaty, but seems to respect the laws of physics within its premise.  Graphics are little more than doodles, but are masterfully animated.  I find myself liking it a lot more than I expected to.

After that experience, I went searching for more info, and found the Flash-based origins of the title.  I played a bit of World 1 (much more basic) and World 2 (close to current gameplay, but still more limited).  I watched the video reports from the developer on the progress of FPA.  I found a Flash demo of the game's first level (still not as polished as the console game, and damn Flash sucks).

What bothers me is that there is next to no news on this release--no advertising, no talk.  Metacritic already has the other (rather good) XBLA outing, Section 8: Prejudice, listed; but FPA is nowhere to be seen.  So, I guess I'm taking it upon myself to shine a bit of light on this unusual commercial release, and the interesting history of how it happened to go beyond just an indie release.  I'm sure at least some here already knew all about it.  I found a reference to FP from idol from way back; but no thread on it.  At $10 for what appears to be a lot of content (all the levels already released, plus a whole new game) it's something I'll be considering.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Fancy Pants Adventures (XBLA, PSN)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
Yeah, I knew about the Flash games but I had no idea they were making a "full" version.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
Looks great! It surprises me that they haven't done any advertising or anything, as someone put a fair amount of effort into the trailers on the site. They're more robust than you'd expect for a small XBLA release.

If I had the money and time, I'd pick it up, but I have neither. I can't justify any more games for the next billion years, really. Does look fun, though, hopefully they get some success. Signing with EA was probably not wise, though. They seem to like taking games on board and then not telling anyone about them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »
Yeah, given other opportunities.  EA sort of fell on Brad Borne's lap when he was chosen to do the 2D Flash version of Mirror's Edge (presumably because of his FP history).  So it's not surprising that it was EA who made this transition possible.