Author Topic: My new article is on racism.  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
My new article is on racism.
« on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
It is more of a rant... I wrote it in 30 minutes and I didn't proof so ummm.. take it as a bloggy rant or whatever. :P

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/7154/ads-that-tell-us-we-are-ugly/#comments

But do read. Some of it may come as a culture shock.

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: My new article is on racism.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 07:36:58 AM »
I find the whole skin lightening products abosolutely ridiculous but only slightly moreso than people here seem to be obsessed with tanning. We all want to be something we're not and that's not inherently racist.

However, the existence and marketing of these products and what it does to the lives of the people you describe is racist.

It's strange, I'm a brown guy and whenever I go to India or family functions I'm always complemented on how fair I am and how that's a good thing. Lately I've been responding by complimenting them back on black their hair is or how blue their shirt is. They don't seem to get it. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 09:16:51 AM »
Hmm?  I didn't even know this was an issue.  I had no idea that a large number of darker-skinned people felt compelled to lighten their skin with creams.  Wow.  I do know that white people in this country like to tan in order to stand out from the crowd.  The funny thing is that in Puerto Rico, it's more of a status symbol to avoid getting bronzed by the sun.  Anyone can be tan there.  In fact, it's hard to avoid.  Hehe!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 10:06:39 AM »
Yup, white people get tanned. The thing is that they get tanned because they feel it makes them look cooler.

In Pakistan, there is a perception that lighter skinned people get ahead in life.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 22, 2011, 12:44:42 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Great article :) We see a lot of that stuff here in the UAE too, given the large populations of Indians and Pakistanis, yet the fairness issues are not exclusive to them. I've seen a few other nationalities with commonly darker skin tones go for them. I think it's crap. It's like spray-painting a cat.

The article got me thinking about hair colour as well. Especially how a lot of Japanese girls seem to want to be blonde, or with generally lighter coloured hair.

In most cultures, there seems to be this association between beauty and fair hair or skin. In ancient Arabic poetry, beauty was often personified as a woman with hair as black as the night sky but skin as white as alabaster. I guess they had a thing for white chicks back in those days. That still holds true today, for the most part.

Coming back to the subject, I can understand that certain characteristics may be appealing to a person versus other characteristics, just basic physical attraction, but when it's at a national scale I suspect there's a cultural problem. If one gender from a certain group of people are not attracted to any of the opposite gender in their region, it raises a lot of questions in the social norms of the region.

Funnily enough, the stereotypes here in the UAE demonstrate something like that: white guys date Asian girls; black guys date white girls; South Indian girls date fair-skinned North Indian boys, etc.

I think the presence of "skin fairness" products (among others) is a reflection of a skewed perception of beauty in our cultures.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
Xessive, could you paste all of those comments on the article page too? Please. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Xessive, could you paste all of those comments on the article page too? Please. :P

Done :)

I just asked some of the people in my office what they think of "fairness" creams, they pretty much line up with our general opinion on the topic.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 06:11:59 AM »
Forward the topic to everyone in the office and tell them to post their thoughts. :P