Author Topic: Well that sure backfired for her.  (Read 3339 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Well that sure backfired for her.
« on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »
So a chick writes an article on a nerdy tech blog about how she had a bad date from OK Cupid. What was the problem? The dude was a world champion Magic: The Gathering player. THE HORROR!

You know its bad when Kotaku, which is owned by the same company, thinks your article is trash.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Well that sure backfired for her.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
So what did I learn? Google the shit out of your next online date. Like, hardcore.

Why did that line turn me on?

I've made some cruel decisions based on shallow preferences too:

Me: "You like Grey's Anatomy/Jersey Shore/MTV, huh? Yeah, I gotta go get some smokes..."
Her: "But I thought you don't smoke!"
Me: "Indeed, I don't."

Alyssa Bereznak is kinda bitchy but I'm in no position to judge, though neither is she. As the rebuttal article on Kotaku will wonderfully illustrate ;)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
I am also of the opinion that if any potential significant other does not fit into my preconceived notion of the perfect partner, they should be kicked to the curb as quickly and publicly as possible.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
You can dump someone for whatever reason you want, but the only thing this guy did was have a hobby many consider nerdy. Thats hardy a huge negative thing to write a public article about. If he isn't for you, just move on.

I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people I sort of know, including one of my co-workers. Mothers, warn your daughters! This could happen to you.
She makes it sound like he had some sinister plan.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
I am also of the opinion that if any potential significant other does not fit into my preconceived notion of the perfect partner, they should be kicked to the curb as quickly and publicly as possible.
I've learned to be better in general but I needed the lessons that only experience can teach.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
What a bitch.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
I don't think it's really that bad that she wasn't that into him.  What is stupid is that she wrote about him on this blog and acted like it was significant.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
If she isn't into the dude cause he plays Magic then whatever..different strokes for different people

Publicly mentioning his name and ridiculing him along with linking to his Wikipedia page and youtube videos makes her a super duper mean bitch
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
She justifies the existence of the C-word.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »
She justifies the existence of the C-word.
Crème fraiche? :P

Going through it again, I definitely agree with Keebler. What was the point of that blog?! If it was something against OkCupid she could have easily achieved it without exposing him or even disclosing his name.

On the other hand she could have had bragging rights "I went out with the Magic world champion!" Not sure how much that's really saying but its something to brag about, I'm sure :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
Fuck, whatever.  It looks more like the internet is blowing up over nothing. If it was a story about a blind date with Bo Jackson, it wouldn't be a big deal.  He's in the public eye, blah blah blah.  So's this guy in his own shitty way.  Sure, she kind of comes off like a bitch for saying she isn't in to him for a shallow reason, but she has a great fucking point; we're all pretty much shallow.  Especially me.

Types of girls I judge:

-Overweight ones
-ones too into sports
-ones who want to do date things involving sports (If I'm throwing down big money on a ticket to something I sure as shit am going to maximize my fun by going with a friend instead)
-girls who are on facebook too much
-girls with blogs
-girls who like horses too much
-girls who are Australian
-Girls with bad teeth
-girls involved in fashion
-girls who are too into music

And probably a million other things. Literally.  A million.

She judged this guy for liking Magic.  But that's not really the full story.  It sounds more like she judged him for liking Magic, decided he was probably socially awkward, he was (tickets to a one-man show?  About a serial killer no less.  Brah...you're doing it wrong), and decided it wasn't for her.  He was somewhat famous in a nerdy geek community, she writes for a blog that somewhat appeals to that community, and she made an article about it.  It wasn't good, but whatever...almost nothing on these blog sites are.

I found the backlash to be more funny than anything else.  And the Kotaku story in particular (it may be the worst thing I've ever read).

The fact that you don’t know when you’ve had too much alcohol already says a lot about you. Any guy will tell you that there’s nothing more unattractive than a drunk girl falling all over the place and having no idea how stupid she looks. The fact that you don’t know your limits when it comes to alcohol — or that you might have even deliberately got yourself drunk — doesn’t make you look very credible.

....  THIS bitch is retarded.  She got all uppity about an article, decided to ride the backlash wave and just proved that she's completely fucking socially retarded. Yeah, the liqour industry and entertainment districts in every city in the world thrive on people going out for nightcaps.  No, you fucking moron: people like getting fucked the fuck up. Not everyone, but most. That's why prohibition failed, not because the general population were angry that they couldn't have a casual scotch after a game of golf. THIS is a point you're going to focus on in your critique of this chick's article?  You might as well just title your shit article on your shit blogsite "Socially Awkard Angry at Possibly Socially Awkward for Criticizing Socially Awkard".  Where the fuck are you from?  Utah?  No, this bitch is from Australia.  AUSTRALIA. Drink like goddamn fish over there.  It gives them what they refer to as the "Stealing Nerves".  She doesn't know shit about shit that's going on in the social culture around her. 

I should have stopped there, but I went a bit further.

here’s no point wondering what terrible things could have happened. The worst that did happen in this situation was that you joined OKCupid and f**ked with some poor guy’s head and then publicly humiliated him.

2 creepy dates is "fucking with some guys head".  Not only does this bitch have no idea what the fuck people around her like doing, she's a fucking nun who's either never dated or married the first goddamn guy she slept with because she didn't want to "fuck with his head" after she decided she hated him three weeks in.  She was a bit put off and went on a second date, I don't know what the fuck else this chick wants. Does she have to stick around until the guy pulls out his level 6 Awkward Charm of the Desert SeaDragons card and clumsily beds her before she can ethically and non-judgementally decide he isn't for her?  I honestly don't think the kotaku bitch has ever decided she needed to sever a motherfucker, because sometimes you decide that 15 min in, hang out for the night and then either avoid them or just tell them whats up a few days later.  Maybe it's because she has man hands.  Maybe because he's wearing a suit to a first date. Maybe because your date declares that they have the world's largest collection of plush baby seals....or clubbed seals - who gives a fuck.  Someone isn't for you, you get the fuck out sooner rather than later.  And chances are that if the guy has the least bit of fame and you write for a blog, you may use him as an example in a story (which I'm guessing was intended to be humorous rather than hard-hitting) on the perils of online dating during a slow news day.

But seriously:  Magic Cards are totally fucking lame.  So is this guy:

Trust me, this article should be this guy's least concern in the category of public humiliation. I don't care what the fuck your shitty "profession" is.  The second someone somewhere gets commissioned to paint you as a wizard you deserve what you get from that point forward.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty nerdy! hehe All in all it's a purely trivial issue, or rather a non-issue. They went out, she wasn't into him, she had to write an article and publish to justify or rationalize her reaction, and some other chick went on to defend the dude. It's trivial and hardly worth our time here in the mighty OWnet boards!

That's pretty much how I feel about spectator sports and sports hooligans too. I can respect athletic pursuits but sitting down to watch a ball game I don't get; unless there's something at stake like the losing team loses a part of their country to other team's nation or something. Otherwise it's just taking a ball from one side of a field/court and putting it in a net/basket on the other side.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 03:58:13 AM »
I agree with everyone here. I think the backlash was a bit ridiculous but the bottom line is, the bitch wrote an article about a bad date on a tech site. This is where a lot of the thought leaders are charging at her from, not really to target her, but to attack Gizmodo because from what I can tell, there's a good amount of hate for that site.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 01, 2011, 06:33:16 AM »
I think she was a bitch for blogging about it. She should have moved the hell on.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 01, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Trust me, this article should be this guy's least concern in the category of public humiliation. I don't care what the fuck your shitty "profession" is.  The second someone somewhere gets commissioned to paint you as a wizard you deserve what you get from that point forward.

I would think it was badass (in a humorous way) to be on a Magic card (though I never played much Magic myself). The same way that a dinosaur with frikkin laser beams is badass. Am I going to wear it on a T-shirt? No. But I'd let someone put my likeness on it, and probably even hang it on my wall somewhere. There's nothing wrong with a little silliness, and I can't take the guy's face on a Magic card any other way.

If the guy comes off as a total dork just in behavior (whiny nasal voice, what he wears, his hygiene, etc.), then I understand. But this chick didn't have a problem with him until he mentioned Magic. She's berating him because he's a geek.

Oh, and people like to say it's cool to be a nerd/geek now, but it's not. The superdork who talks through his nose, wears thick ass glasses, doesn't bathe, lives in Magic or some MMO, and writes his own custom Linux software is not cool. It's the well groomed hipster with the pretty face, high priced wardrobe, black rimmed glasses and a MacBook that people want.