Author Topic: Is Mobile Device Protection worth it?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Is Mobile Device Protection worth it?
« on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »
So along with my job change, I have to get a cell phone.  My previous employer allowed some flexibility in phone choice and let us use them for personal use.  My new one has a single assigned model and no personal use is allowed.

I've been eyeing the HTC Sensation 4G from T-Mobile.  Because this thing would cost almost $600 to replace if it was lost or stolen, I am considering the Mobile Device Protection service.  It's $7/mo. or $70/yr.  The thing is, it doesn't really seem to cover a lot:

What is covered by Device Protection Service?
The entire covered device, original electronic accessories and batteries provided within the manufacturer's box are covered for repair or replacement with no deductable. Each protected device is covered up to the replacement value (the limit of liability) for accidental damage, theft, or malfunction. If a covered item is not available for replacement, you will be offered a model of similar value. Some limitations apply; see What is not covered by Device Protection Services? below.

What is not covered by Device Protection Service?
The following are not covered by Device Protection Service:
  • Negligent or unsecured loss or unexplained disappearance such as leaving your device unattended or unsecured.
  • Your SIM card and any additional optional accessories that you buy.
  • The loss, real or perceived of data, time, financial opportunity, or any other consequence arising from the loss of the use of the wireless device.
  • Normal wear and tear of the device.
  • Dishonest or malicious acts by member.
  • Cosmetic or non-functional damage such as marring, scratching, chipping.
  • Liquid damage or loss in a body of water.
  • Pervasive corrosion.
  • Theft from any premises or vehicle when not reasonably secured (ex vehicle windows and doors must be closed and locked).
It seems like this only covers it if you drop it and it breaks (unless you drop it in water), or it gets stolen.  $70/yr. seems like a lot to pay for that very limited coverage, but at the same time I would hate to be faced with the choice to have to shell out almost $600 or get a old-school mobile phone.

I don't get why accidental breakage and water damage are separated out like that.  What is the difference?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Is Mobile Device Protection worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »
Most services do cover water damage, so that's weird. Most protection plans that I'm aware of are basically just... send us $50, get the same phone again whenever. I guess T-Mobile has changed since I used them. I'm on my 4th phone of the same model with Sprint, so yeah, I pretty much think if you don't have a protection plan, you're an idiot. It isn't that I treat my phone badly, I actually take pretty good care of it, but mishaps are bound to happen when you carry something with you virtually everywhere. I lost one in a hot tub, one because I threw it against a wall in a fit of rage (whoops), and another because the battery stopped fitting properly and it would just shut off all the time.

If you're using a device that costs that much money and you're going to be using it often enough for the chance of breakage or loss to be that high, it only makes sense to protect the investment.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
Well, I was going to go through Wirefly because they have a 25% off 4G phone sale going on this weekend, bringing the phone cost down 25%.

I just went through T-Mobile's site and their protection service is different and does not exclude water damage like the one on Wirefly does and it is $4.79/mo., but it has a $130 deductible.  I can add an extended warranty on top of the lost/damaged insurance, but that is $7.99/mo. which would make it significantly more than the plan through Wirefly.

Decisions, decisions.  Probably going through Wirefly and just hoping I don't drop it in water.

Edit: Just read this, definitely changing my tune.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
I've only dealt with Asurion, and I've been nothing short of impressed.  For essentially the same monthly price you pay, they cover absolutely everything.  I smashed the screen, they sent me a new phone without any questions asked.  I put it on a counter and a sink overflowed, same deal.  And when I was worried that one of the replacement units was faulty they just sent me another one.  There is a deductible, but I'm pretty sure the only thing they check when you make a claim are that your account is up to date....and that the covered phone was active on the network at some point in the last 30 days (not sure why).  You can make two claims per device per year. 

Pretty good.  This other one sounds like Shit.  Doesn't cover lost phones or water damage?  Fuck that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
Yeah, Asurion is who I've dealt with as well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野