Author Topic: RIP, Bill Kunkel  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
RIP, Bill Kunkel
« on: Tuesday, September 06, 2011, 04:53:33 AM »
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/09/05/rip-bill-039the-game-doctor039-kunkel

And I feel a little bad for saying this, especially since it popped up from Kas in my twitter feed, but...

who? I seriously have no fucking idea who this man is. And how legendary could he be if he ended up working for RWS?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: RIP, Bill Kunkel
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »
Haha.  I just looked up RWS again.  Working on Postal 3 for pretty much the last 6 years.  How the fuck are they still in business?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 02:27:59 AM »
Who?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
*Sigh*

Learn some history, you whippersnappers.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
You know, I've been trying to find a Flash or emulator version of Dragon's Lair forever and I just can't find it or the emulators that run the ROMs are so complicated I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to get it running.

I used to play DL at arcades back in the day.  I always loved the art, but I think I was too young for the game at the time and my reaction time too slow.  I never got very far at all.  It was basically a game of QTE events, right?  That's how I remember it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 06:44:18 AM »
In 1984, I was two years old. Give me at least a little credit. I entered into gaming with the Nintendo. I did play Atari, but when it was nearly ready to head on its way out, and I never had one of my own.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 07:12:39 AM »
In 1984, I was two years old. Give me at least a little credit. I entered into gaming with the Nintendo. I did play Atari, but when it was nearly ready to head on its way out, and I never had one of my own.

Yea same here. My dad had an Atari and there was only like one or two games I remembered playing on it, then the Nintendo entered our household.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 07:45:04 AM »
You know, I've been trying to find a Flash or emulator version of Dragon's Lair forever and I just can't find it or the emulators that run the ROMs are so complicated I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to get it running.

I used to play DL at arcades back in the day.  I always loved the art, but I think I was too young for the game at the time and my reaction time too slow.  I never got very far at all.  It was basically a game of QTE events, right?  That's how I remember it.

I saw DL as a curiosity.  Very pretty in an age of big pixels with few colors and memory measured in KB, but ultimately just branching video, not a "real" videogame.  How little that matters now.  Haha!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »

Oh come on, I was being lighthearted, calling you "whippersnappers" and all.  I know you don't have much direct knowledge of the man.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
I appreciate you calling my whipper a snapper, but I am don't play for Schlotzky5's team.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
Haha, I wasn't calling you out, Cobra, it's all good. I'm just surprised that this guy was apparently respected, yet he ended up with RWS at some point and I have literally never heard of him in any capacity. I've been following gaming pretty heavily for a long time, so I just wonder when he stopped doing stuff that was noteworthy. It must have been an awful long time ago.