Author Topic: Hot pepper jelly  (Read 2387 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Hot pepper jelly
« on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
I don't know if you guys have had any of this. Its a jelly made with jalapenos or other peppers. Really good to put on things, or just to dip tortilla chips in. The combination of spicy, sweet, and the salty chips? Mmmmm...

Anywho, I decided to make a batch myself. The peppers have done well in the garden this year. Not much for jalapeno, but we are going to have a ton of habanero. Which is good, it makes great jelly. We also have a special plant this year. My moms friends gave us a couple Bhut Jolokia plants, aka ghost pepper. Which are....hot. See chart:

Scoville scale
Jalapeno: 2,500 - 8,000
Habanero: 100,000–350,000
Bhut Jolokia: 1,000,000+

Yeah. So of course I made jelly with one, plus a couple other hot peppers and even a green pepper to have more bulk. I used my moms recipe but it turns out the cooking time is wrong and instead of pepper jelly I ended up with a pepper candy. The sugars got to the candy stage so it wanted to harden up. I pulled a piece off a spoon and could roll it into a ball that hardened. Which was funny because my mom showed it to my dad and he tried to eat it. Spent the next 20 minutes eating cheese and crackers to deal with the heat.

Before we let the stuff harden in the jars I was canning them in we poured them back out and mixed in some water, so now its back to being more jelly-like. Its really stiff when cold but warm it up a little and you can dip chips in easily. I think its delicious, nice and hot. I saved the seeds from the pepper so hopefully I can grow more next year. I'll be making a bunch of habanero jelly too. That one isnt so extreme.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
Re: Hot pepper jelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
I got some habaneros last week after the jalapenos weren't doing it for me.  Holy fuck those things are hot.  I made some rice with mushrooms, onions, and sausage.  I chopped up a few habanero peppers and put them in.  I started crying after one bite.  I promptly removed all of the peppers from the dish, but it is still not edible even with no actual peppers in it.

I also couldn't get that stuff off of my hands.  I rubbed my eyes like 6 hours and 2 handwashes later and it still burned the shit out of them.

Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
Yeah, dude, that's absolutely not how you use habaneros unless you're a serious fire hound. That shit kills the average person.

Sounds awesome idol. I'd totally try that. Except I don't think my stomach could handle it, which makes me incredibly sad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
Pepper jellies are pretty good.  I prefer habanero jellies over jalapeno taste wise but don't really eat habanero for anything else other than a big batch of chili every now and then.  I like those pepper and fruit mix salsas too like habanero and mango salsa.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »
Yeah Im not big on jalapenos taste-wise.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
man i love hot food but only if its so-so hot. i dont see how anyone can enjoy eating really ridiculously hot food that becomes a chore to eat
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
I love eating food that's just on the edge of being too hot.  Hot food just seems much more substantial, if that makes sense.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
Made another batch, this time I went with habaneros (four of them, seeds removed). Also a can of chiles and a large green pepper, mostly for bulk and little yummy pepper bits to stick to your chips. I did a much shorter boiling time so its not going to be a candy. I am sorta concerned its going to be too thin, but its still pretty hot and when I scooped it up with a cold spoon it jelled pretty well. I think it'll be ok. Perfect thickness for dipping eggrolls in.

Its spicy, but the spice doesn't linger as long.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
Can I come over? I'll bring eggrolls.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
Yes. Bring lots.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
I want to try this, never heard of it till now. There's space in the garden now so maybe I can plant some peppers in the spring. :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy