Author Topic: Tribes Ascend  (Read 3768 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Tribes Ascend
« on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
Hey, look at that.
Hi-Rez Studios Unveils the Next Tribes ®
ATLANTA - March 11, 2011 -- Today at the PAX East game festival, Hi-Rez Studios released an announcement trailer for Tribes: Ascend™, proclaiming the return of the sci-fi, online multi-player shooter franchise Tribes.

The Tribes collection of games have been played by well over 1 million people.

Tribes: Ascend, developed using the Unreal 3 engine, is being positioned as the multi-player successor to the much lauded Tribes 2 and a re-introduction of the franchise to the gaming world.

Hi-Rez Studios acquired Tribes in October, 2010 and revealed plans to develop a massive scale, persistent world shooter called Tribes Universe. Today's announcement confirms that long-term franchise strategy, but Hi-Rez has chosen to first deliver the single-purchase, digital download Tribes: Ascend this calendar year.

"Before Halo, before Modern Warfare, and before Battlefield, there was Tribes.", says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO. "Tribes fans appreciate the game's essence - athletic FPS combat combined with teamwork and strategy. As we began development of Tribes Universe, we focused first on capturing that essence - refining and modernizing iconic elements like jetpacks, skiing, and vehicles. We’ve had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multi-player shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game."

Tribes: Ascend is targeted for release in late 2011 as a digital download on Windows PC and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Additional platforms are currently under consideration as well.
They are the same team working on the Tribes MMO thing. Honestly, this sounds better already. Lets hope they can pull it off.

Stupid teaser trailer that shows nothing sucks, though.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Tribes Ascend
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 03:04:58 PM »
Wow! Two Tribes games from the same company that soon after getting the IP? I hope they can pull it off.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
Fingers crossed!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 09, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 09, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
want

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 27, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
Video looks good.

Sadly, microtransactions sound terrible.

It's a model that has worked extremely well for Riot, and with Tribes: Ascend, Hi-Rez hopes to emulate that success. Naturally, there are some differences, though. Instead of buying champions, Tribes players will be buying loadouts. A loadout determines the characteristics of your character in battle -- specifically, their armor type (light, medium or heavy) which also affects movement (heavy units move slowly, light very quicky), the two weapons they will be carrying, the type of explosive they will wield, and what their pack (which can change the dynamic of a character) does.

As an example, one loadout gave my character medium armor, an explosive-disk-shooting gun, a decent rapid-firing handgun, a set of grenades, and 20% more energy for my standard jetpack. It was a sort of all-rounder loadout that allowed me to assault the enemy's base or defend my own depending on what was needed.

A different loadout gave me heavy armor, a repair tool to fix structures with, a basic rifle, the ability to throw down mines (instead of grenades), and the ability to drop turrets. This was a much more defensive build, letting me patch up base structures like generators and cover key areas with my turrets.
So a fundamental difference in Tribes where you could freely switch between various custom loadouts is now going to require buying specific loadouts? And whats this 2 weapons shit? Pretty sure Heavies used to carry 5 and lights could hold 3.

I am not impressed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 27, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »
Tribes is dead. Long live Tribes.

Pretty sure anything they can do to fuck up this franchise they will, at this point. Instead of just making the same general thing with a few tweaks and pretty updated prettiness, they just keep shoving crap sandwiches down our throats.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 27, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Well that sucks.

But if the game is actually good, and I shell out $20 bucks and be good to go, I'm game. Just gonna have to see how much everything costs.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
Gah, I'd rather pay full price and get the core game instead of paying for individual load-outs. The video is sweet though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
The video does look awesome. It just seems like pre-determined loadouts are a bad idea, especially having to be limited to just the ones you bought. And even MORE especially if they're going to make like a billion slightly different loadouts and release them every week. That's just fucking awful. If you could just pay money and get a lifetime of updates or something, maybe that wouldn't be so bad... or pay to be able to customize. Honestly, I might not mind having the loadout picked for me just because I always spent too much time debating what I wanted. But overall that isn't worth cutting off player choice, I don't think.

I guess we'll see what options they give us. I still don't understand why they can't just make a fucking game. What is it that's so appealing about the free-to-play option? With so many games out there that are already free, does anyone really get so excited about not having to pay... that they decide to pay? I don't get it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
I still don't understand why they can't just make a fucking game. What is it that's so appealing about the free-to-play option? With so many games out there that are already free, does anyone really get so excited about not having to pay... that they decide to pay? I don't get it.

I don't either, but there has to be some financial incentive or so many companies wouldn't be doing it. I guess free-to-play draws in a ton of people, and once people get hooked they start spending money on the DLC. I'm interested to see the numbers though, especially for online games like this were pirating isn't an option since you need a key to play online.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
I know I'm a Tribes fanboy and will take any news of change as a bad thing, but fuck this.
1. A loadout is NOT limited to only 2 weapons. (at least not the way most people would define weapons)
Just to clarify, our current LoadOuts consist of: a specific armor (light, medium, or heavy), an in-hand weapon, another in-hand weapon, a belt slot (that might hold grenades or mines for example), a Pack (cloaking or jamming as examples), and a melee weapon. So, there are currently 5 usable items per Load-Out. And the in-hand weapons do not follow a traditional Primary/Secondary metaphor. It is much more of a per loadout balance decision; so one loadout might include two particularly powerful in-hands for example. Maybe this was already clear to people or maybe it wasn't. And the LoadOut spec above is simply what we are testing now; it could change.
Nice spin. You know what a Heavy could carry? 5 "in-hand" weapons, grenades AND mines, and a pack. And...wait, did you just say melee weapons?
2. Per match you can access multiple load-outs.
How many is still TBD. In the build we played internally today, players selected three load-outs to bring with them per mission. Then, during that single match they choose between those load-outs upon respawn or at an Inventory Station. So in the current playable you have up to 15 different items available to you within a match; albeit only 5 at any point in time based upon which of your chosen load-outs is active. What is exactly the right number to bring into a match? TBD but at this point less than 'all of them'.
I just...I don't even...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »
New Halo Tribes: Ascend screenshot.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
Heh. Having never played the newer Halo games, if you put that picture in front of me and told me to guess what it was, I would say Halo.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
I got into the beta a few days ago.  Been playing for a few hours.

I'm having loads of fun. Everything is SUPER fast paced. I can't decide if everyone that plays the beta is really good or if I'm just really bad. Maybe a combination. But I seriously get reamed each time I play. I suspect this will bother me further on down the line, but for the moment, it is still pure fun. Jetpack skiing is exceptional and really adds a ton of depth to the game. I think some of the weapons need to be tweaked (some are downright useless when everyone is flying around at a million miles an hour).  There are plenty of classes and quite a few different weapons.  Unfortunately you have to pay to unlock them.

I'm a bit wary of this F2P model. I'm worried that it is a lot like Global Agenda in that it is basically a big demo unless you pay for it. Free customers seem like cannon fodder for paying customers. Turns out that you can't unlock the additional classes, but you have to buy them. And you have to buy extra perks/upgrades too. I guess I just hate models like this: I would rather just have to buy the game outright than have this weird model.

That said, the gameplay itself is incredibly fun and addicting. Definitely going to keep on playing. I just hope they clean up the F2P model. At least give us all the classes without having to pay. Or just charge $30 and give us everything. Halfsies are annoying.

I'll make a FRAPs video if anyone is interested.  It's hard to describe just how fast-paced and fun it is without seeing it.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
Play earlier. I noticed that the "pros" come out in the evening and it becomes more challenging, especially if you are new to the Tribes universe.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 25, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »
I always got destroyed in Tribes games but it was still brilliant fun regardless, as Toxy says.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 25, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
I'm getting more and more annoyed with the F2P model.  I think it is probably going to ruin the game for me.  It takes WAY too long to "earn" the loadouts. I've probably put around 5-8 hours into the game and I've earned 500 tokens. That comes out to about 60-100 tokens an hour. I'm not the greatest player, but I'm not absolutely atrocious either.

It costs ~15k tokens to purchase a loadout. There are 10 loadouts to purchase. So you need to earn ~150k in tokens to have full access to the classes in the game. According to how quickly I'm unlocking things, that's 1500-2400 hours just to play all of the classes and figure out which one I like the most.  And the classes are substantially different, too.  One is an engineer type, one is a heavy with a chain gun type, some are scouts, some are snipers, etc.  HUGE variance in gameplay. But they start with you the two basic loadouts: Soldier and something else that I forget.

I have some respect for the F2P model, but that's 1500-2400 gameplay hours just to unlock all the classes is an insurmountable number for 99.99% of gamers. And some of the loadouts offer clear advantages over others, particularly in a team settings.  A team of 16 soldiers is going to have a very hard time against a team of 2 mechanics, 2 brutes, 2 sentinels, etc - they just have a lot more offensive and defensive capabilities.

This puts it pretty well into the "pay2win" category, I think. Or at least, "pay2becompetitive"

Only offering 2 classes makes the free version feel like a demo. But a frustrating demo where you are cannon fodder for the paying people.

From a business standpoint, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to release a demo with a map or two and like half the classes. This will get people hooked on the gameplay, different loadouts, etc. Then make the full game cost like $30, which includes all of the loadouts. You can do microtransactions for nongameplay items (vanity) if you really think there won't be enough money to make it sustainable.

This halfsies F2P thing is a huge turn off. I like the game, but there's not nearly enough depth to it with only two loadouts to get me to keep on playing for long enough to unlock additional loadouts. So what I am going to do? I could buy more loadouts, I guess. But then I have to chose which ones to buy and how much to spend (the "packages" you purchase are either $20, $30, or $50). And I have no idea what the loadouts even play like (except for how they kill me). In short, it's hard to decide how much money you want to spend on a game you haven't really experienced.

What's way more likely is that I just give up and play something else. It's fun, but it's not that fun, and I haven't gotten "enough" of a taste to justify paying.

This is precisely what happened to me with Global Agenda. It was fun... but the extreme handicapping toward free players was so unbearable that it destroyed my desire to play the game. It forced me to choose between paying and quitting, so I quit.

I don't know why I have such an anathema to paying for elements of F2P games through microtransactions, but I don't think I'm the only one. It just feels like you are being cheated.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 01:49:16 AM »
You should visit the IRC channel. Idol and I bitch about that all the time. It's one of our favorite hobbies.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 03:19:36 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 09, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »

Hilarious parody. Llama grab!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
Nothing against the game, it looks awesome and I keep hearing great things, but European games media scores means nothing to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #24 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
Nothing against the game, it looks awesome and I keep hearing great things, but European games media scores means nothing to me.
Eurogamer is one of the harsher review-sites out there.
And, they don't give out Perfect 10 scores, unlike some other game-sites...
This is why I found it worth noting.

EDIT:
GameSpot - 8.0 (out of 10).
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 04:12:18 PM by MysterD »