Author Topic: Hotline Miami  (Read 7121 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Hotline Miami
« on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
This ones getting a some love.

Eurogamer 10/10
Destructoit 7/10
IndieGameMag 87%
Rock Paper Shotgun

On sale on Amazon, Impulse, GamersGate, GetGamesGo (which comes with a special level), and yes Steam. Though most of those just give you a Steam key anyway. Never fear, GoG has it DRM-free!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Hotline Miami
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Just watched a bunch of trailers and stuff for this thing.
Holy crap @ that 80's style soundtrack. Reminds me of Drive.

Plz tell me they're going to sell the Soundtrack w/ this game; or sell a Special Edition of the game w/ the Soundtrack.

EDIT #1:
More reviews:

GiantBomb -> 5 stars (out of 5).
Machinima - InsideGamingDaily -> 9.5/10.
GameFanMag -> 9.5/10.
GameFront -> 93/100.
GamePlanet -> 9/10.
IGN -> 8.8.
Polygon -> 8.5/10
GameSpot -> 8.5 -- Video Review.; Written Review.
AtomicGamer -> 8/10.
GameInformer -> 7.75/10.
Hardcore Gamer - 4 out of 5.
Joystiq -> 4 stars (of 5).
GameSpy -> 2.5/5.
Kill Screen

EDIT 2:
6 min Quicklook from Rezzed.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 07, 2012, 05:18:48 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 05:40:53 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
I don't know what this is exactly but I want it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Get in the GameSpot Chat on TwitchTV!
Watch this!
And Devolver just Code-Dropped a STEAM key for this.
Yup, it went as quick as it came.

EDIT 1:
Devolver did the same thing this weekend for some of their games (Serious Sam Collection), during Charity Weekend this past weekend.

EDIT 2:
They (GameSpot) compared the art-style & vibe to a (now) FreeWare game using ScummVM called Dreamweb.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
Jesus. Game is nuts. Played it through this afternoon. It's shortish, but the story is crazy, and it's definitely replayable. The music is phenomenal and the graphic style is fantastic.

I feel... conflicted. It was a great experience but really fizzled at the end. There's still more weapons and masks to unlock, and there was a "puzzle" option greyed out from the menu that I'm guessing opens up once you beat the game, but I didn't start a chapter again to find out.

Ugh. I want more story. I'm still baffled. I wonder if there's anything else hidden in there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
Devolver Digital's SoundCloud -> STREAM of the entire (20 song) Hotline Miami: Original SoundTrack.

EDIT:
Since Que mentioned one of the OST Contributors some 4 posts, I'll edit in (with a nice copy and paste here) the list of soundtrack contributors from the SoundCloud page
Music by:
Sun Araw  - http://www.sunaraw.com/
M.O.O.N.  - http://www.musicofthemoon.com/
Jasper Byrne  - http://www.superflatgames.com/
El Huervo  - http://elhuervo.bandcamp.com/
Scattle - https://www.facebook.com/scattlemusic
Perturbator - http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/
Eirik Suhrke  - http://strotch.net/
CoConuts: - http://www.myspace.com/coconutsnoise
Elliott Berlin
« Last Edit: Friday, October 26, 2012, 08:31:07 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 06:31:49 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Entertaining to listen to, but God, these guys are playing the game totally wrong. Level should take you like... a minute to get through. Think Super Meat Boy. You just rock your shit, die, and keep on going like nothing happened. You don't stand around waiting for shit to happen 90% of the time, barring special circumstances. There's no reason for them to be waiting a lot of the time, and you can melee a room with 3 dudes with guns most of the time once you know what you're doing. So it's really kind of a bad QL as it doesn't reflect the proper pace of the game like... at all. I guess you could play it this way, but your scores will be complete shit. My goal in almost every level was to kill every single dude as part of the same combo, if that gives you any idea of how fast this thing can really be played. He seems to kinda figure it out at the very end that moving quicker is better. I think caution honestly will kill you more than going balls out with this one.

EDIT - Yay, patch! The flexibility bug has been fixed, and Steam version is updated, GOG should be up for download in the morning.

Also, turns out all the music in the game is readily available in .OGGs in the game directory. I put together my own soundtrack since the one for sale is only 10 tracks (full is 20ish). Such great music. The game is worth it for that alone.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 09:54:43 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 01:38:34 AM »
This looks awesome and I will have to get it at some point.  When I was watching the Giant Bomb quick look of this I was getting a specific vibe from the game.  Then someone on the GiantBomb TNT chat mentioned this game is from the guy who made Keyboard Drumset Fucking Werewolf.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 07:19:44 AM »
Portion of the soundtrack also done by Jasper Byrne, the man responsible for Lone Survivor, the 2D pixel-art Silent Hill/Twin Peaks-inspired indie gem. Which I am now playing also.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
Total Biscuit -> 22 minutes of gameplay.

GameInformer -> Test Chamber - 13 mins worth of Hotline Miami gameplay.
GameInformer -> Creator Jonatan Soderstrom helps pirates out w/ the game, despite not wanting them to pirate it.
Jonatan Söderström, the creator of Hotline Miami, has posted on twitter a comment that implies that he doesn't really mind if you pirate his game.

Söderström said, "I don't really want people to pirate Hotline Miami, but I understand if they do. I've been broke the last couple of months. It sucks." He can also be seen on pirating message boards offering helpful hints for those trying to grab the game for free.

EDIT:
Twitter -> Hotline Miami might have gamepad support by the end of today.

Jeffrey Matulef ‏@mrdurandpierre
As I expected, Hotline Miami seems like it will be cool once it has gamepad support. I just can't do the mouse and keyboard thing.

Hotline Miami @HotlineMiami
@mrdurandpierre Maybe by the end of the day on gamepad!

EDIT 2:
Steam -> Patch released -- patch Notes from Steam.
Shacknews -> DLC is coming.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 26, 2012, 12:48:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »
Spread the word & keep your eyes open, guys...
This is from "Fork Parker," Chief Financial Officer at Devolver Digital (publisher for Hotline Miami)

Fork Parker @ForkParker
If Hotline Miami breaks back into the Steam overall top ten over the weekend I'll give away 100 copies on Monday. Spread the word.
9:54 AM - 27 Oct 12 ·

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
The game is pretty amazing.  So much so that I have to stop playing.  I got to
(click to show/hide)
but this is exactly the kind of game I can't play - I'll lose hours and hours.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Thankfully it's pretty short so it won't destroy your life. Just finish it!

EDIT - Competitive speedrun going on live here: http://sv.twitch.tv/romscout

Obviously spoileriffic, but they're not showing dialogue and stuff, and it's moving real quick. Worth a look if you want a better idea of how the game is really played.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 04:25:11 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 05, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
Steam Version updated.
GOG Version will get this update "shortly" (whenever that might be).

Here's the patch-notes on Steam.:
Game Update - November 5
The following updates have been made to the game. If you encounter any additional issues please email a description of the issue along with your system specs and OS to support@devolverdigital.com.

Gamepad support has been enabled. Make sure you have installed the newest drivers for your xbox controller before using this feature. You'll find them on Microsoft.com, just follow the link below
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

To disable the gamepad correctly (if you want to go back to mouse and keyboard) you might need to first switch the controller to OFF in the option menu AND restart your computer, otherwise the game might run with a small but constant slowdown until you do so.

Remapping the keys now works with arrowkeys as well.

Most reported bugs have been fixed. A slowdown problem and a bug with people getting stuck in stairs/elevators are still things we are looking into. If you encounter these, try running the game in 1280x768 which is the game's optimal resolution.

Note: We have noticed that that the bugs mentioned above have a tendency to accur when playing the game with windows running on a Mac and that should be taken care of with the Mac version of Hotline Miami that will be out soon.

A bonus stage ”Highball” has been added, which will be unlocked when you complete the mainstory.

Additional environmental graphics.

More gore with the Jones mask now has additional graphical effects.

Additional sound effects.

The pot of boiling water has been updated.

More randomly placed weapons.

First and second boss battles slightly modified.

Last edited by br33dlove; 8 hours ago

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Destructoid and Digital Devolver been code-dropping Hotline Miami (Steam version) codes all nite!
I just got one! :D

EDIT -- Nov. 9, 2012:
GameTrailers -> Discussion on Hotline Miami from 2:35 to 10:56.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 09, 2012, 09:03:52 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 09, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
I really need to go back to this. I hear there's a second, better ending if you go through again, and read an interesting plot summary that rekindled my interest. Plus I guess there's going to be some DLC that keeps the story going, so... yeah! Pumped!

How have more of you not gotten this?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »
Just finished this game. What an awesome game. Took me a little over 11 hours to finish.

I finished....
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 09:35:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
I was waiting for the controller support fixes and maybe when I could download it at the book store. But that never lined up...maybe Ill just grab it and take the 2 days to download. For that soundtrack...

EDIT: It has been boughted.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 11:24:55 PM by idolminds »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 11, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
I really need to find the time to play through the game again and check out the new level and the better ending. My first run was before they even fixed the flexibility score bug, heh.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
Man this game...THIS GAME! Its pretty amazing. So far Ive been playing with the controller but if it requires more precision I may have to switch to mouse. It was pretty funny when I played the mission Patrick got stuck on for most of the Quick Look, I went through that first floor on my first try. Sure I knew the layout and where the dudes were but after the first 2 times through so did he. I can see why Que said that you have to play faster. Just get in there and wreck shit. The AI can take half a second to respond to you barging into a room and you run like a bat out of hell so you can whack em before they know whats coming.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
Yeah, totally. Glad you're enjoying it. Thing is nuts. I never tried with a controller... installed the latest version but haven't booted it yet.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »
Man this game...THIS GAME! Its pretty amazing. So far Ive been playing with the controller but if it requires more precision I may have to switch to mouse. It was pretty funny when I played the mission Patrick got stuck on for most of the Quick Look, I went through that first floor on my first try. Sure I knew the layout and where the dudes were but after the first 2 times through so did he. I can see why Que said that you have to play faster. Just get in there and wreck shit. The AI can take half a second to respond to you barging into a room and you run like a bat out of hell so you can whack em before they know whats coming.

I can't even imagine playing with a controller.  And I think you could probably get away with playing slower, but I don't think it'd be at all easier.  Personally, I just kind of went with trial and error - taking some parts slow, some just crazy fast. Die, try a new route or new method. I'd also find ways of murdering a floor's worth of motherfuckers at choke points. For me it was figuring out which rooms to burst into in which order that made the game fun.  Run down hallway, stomp some mofo, knock door into dude, take out his friend with golf club, take out guy on ground, get gun, figure out when and where to fire first shot or how to get a better mass murder weapon (shot gun). I had a lot of fun with it that way.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »
Yeah we'll see if I stick to the controller or not.

See I haven't used guns much at all. Mostly when I know I've got just 3 dudes in that room left and I can go in and waste em. The
(click to show/hide)
was a pretty cool twist, though. I generally play similar to you. Once you get a plan going on how to tackle each room it just depends on the room. The Super Meat Boy-like repetition makes it fun to experiment. That the random weapons laying around can change on each respawn just pushes you to try other things. One time things went bad and I alerted a bunch of dudes and grabbing some guns was the right call. In fact thats how I ended up beating that level.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »
Yeah, guns are useful and viable, but I didn't use them a ton. I wouldn't say I rarely used them as you have to in some circumstances and as idol said, there's enough randomness that you always sort of have to use what's become available, but I relied more on melee than anything else. I think I used Dennis the most for the starting knife.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I'm up to level 13, the
(click to show/hide)
. I think its time to wear Dennis. Man the mask that stops dogs from attacking you is SUPER handy on a few levels. Especially that nightclub. Dark floors, dim lights, black dogs....its like being eaten by grues.

I really hope they can work up a level editor for the public. This game is screaming for it.

EDIT: UGH, hate this level. What, cant I kill fat guys with the knife? Sure, make me use guns when theres 20 other guards, also with guns, running around.

EDIT2: Oh thank you, unicorn mask!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 07:09:19 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
Well I beat the game, completed the puzzle, got the secret ending, and got all the masks. What a crazy ride. I can't wait for the DLC.

So the bonus level everyone got, 'Highball', isn't that great. But hey, its more to play. Speaking of there is a second bonus map out there called 'EXPOsed', which is based off the Eurogamer Expo location and was an exclusive to preorders on Get Games. Yeah well, this is the internet and you can grab the file you need right here. Drop it in your Hotline Miami folder and it'll be available on the level select. Like Highball its not a great map, but its still fun to check out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 16, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
Q&A

You've mentioned you may have some new content coming out. Can you talk about that at all?

Söderström: We don't want to reveal too much, but it will probably have more playable characters than the first game did. And a couple of different stories and angles.

Wedin: A lot of of people have been asking about a map editor to build their own stages, so we're looking at if it's possible to do that. I think it would be really cool to let people do their own stages.

Looking at the story DLC, will those cost anything or be smaller, free updates?

Söderström: I think we're going to do quite a big project. It will probably be about as long as the full game, so probably we'll charge something for it. It will be like a sequel kind of, but building on the story.

Do you have any idea when it will be ready?

Söderström: It's hard to say right now, but we're hoping since we have the game engine done and we just need to add more to it, it shouldn't take as long as it's taken for the first game to be made. Because there were a lot of difficult design decision that sort of made the game take some time to make. In the beginning we weren't really expecting to make a long game, so we were kind of slowly working on it the first couple of months, but we hope it would take no longer than four or five months to make the sequel, but we're not sure at this point.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »
Replaying levels going for A+ rank is fun. There are some cheese ways to do it (using the Carl mask for the drill, and just doing tons of drill executions really racks up points), but I've been using the frog mask for the longer combo window and then just hauling ass through the levels. It's kinda funny going back through these and remembering how slowly in general I took them, trying to work out the patterns and such. Now its just KILL KILL KILL RAMPAGE!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
I almost wish I wasn't writing tonight so I could play it. You're making this difficult.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #32 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
I love this game. I'm on chapter 9 and I'm struggling a bit, but it's so much fun. I really enjoy getting through levels without the use of guns, but I find it a little easier to use them. My strategy when I get stuck is to find a gun with lots of ammo, pick off a couple, then stay back and wait for the rest to come running.

I've noticed some glitches too. Odd things happen when you run up face to face with someone with a gun. Sometimes they shoot and miss, other times they just won't shoot for a second and give you a chance to attack. This game has a lot of problems, but all of them are forgivable because its just so original and so much fun.

I'm sure every person who has played the game has said the same thing, but I'll repeat it again. The music is awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Monday, November 26, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »
« Last Edit: Monday, November 26, 2012, 07:06:06 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm ready for it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, December 09, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »
I bought this tonight.  I've never really been one to go all ape shit about an indie game but man is this one fun.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Finished it last night.  What a ride.  Not done with it, though.  I'm gonna go back for high scores, masks, and puzzle pieces.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »